• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

19 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

It's nice going out in a tshirt and shorts in winter lol. Today would have definitely felt way warmer if it hadn't been so warm all winter. But luckily for those looking for colder weather and a chance for snow things look a bit more hopeful in the future.

I hope you’re right. I didn’t see too much of that on the models definitely colder weather but not so much snowy weather which a lot of us want including me. :D Take me back to March 1993.

Fell just one-tenth of a degree shy of hitting 70 today.  While that statement is true, going by official NWS rules, my high was only 69.4 degrees.  Another amazingly beautiful day.  Now that I think about it, today was the warmest day of the year so far.  It also looks like despite the very brief arctic intrusion Friday afternoon and night, every day between tomorrow and Sunday is going to be above normal.  Gotta go check on those numbers for this month.

Temp here at home managed to crack 70ºF (70.2) yesterday. Here was some of the climo for yesterday per CTP. Bradford and Williamsport obliterated their daily record. 

.CLIMATE...
Record, or near record, warmth occurred across central PA Wednesday
afternoon. Here are the observed temperatures for February 15th
and ranking for the date, along with existing record highs at a
handful of climate sites across the area:

Site        Observed High Temp (Rank)    Record (year)

Harrisburg              69 (3rd)            74 (1954)
Williamsport            72 (1st)            60 (1949)
Altoona                 72 (1st)            68 (1954)
Bradford                66 (1st)            56 (1954)
State College           ??                  73 (1954)

Observed low temperatures on February 15th were also near record warmth:

Site         Observed Low Temp (Rank)     Record (year)

Harrisburg              43 (T-2nd)          48 (1949)
Williamsport            40 (2nd)            41 (1949)
Altoona                 46 (T-2nd)          48 (2018)
Bradford                44 (1st)            41 (1967)

Rainfall slated for today looks to come in two main parts.. a slug of rainfall that arrives around lunch time and lasts most of the afternoon and then another area associated with the frontal passage later overnight Thurs night/Fri morning. The stuff with the frontal passage may include some thunder but instability is likely to be elevated with low levels stable (cooler with the afternoon rain/clouds plus timing of FROPA later at night) in central/eastern PA. Latest HRRR that goes out that far (6z) tried to generate a little bit of CAPE in the Sus Valley right before frontal passage, likely trying to push a warm nose there. But again, I think convective elements are likely limited to potentially a few strikes/rumbles and maybe some gusty winds with the frontal passage. 

SPC D1

image.gif.15dc96c0694b322368aa96283883c409.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Fell just one-tenth of a degree shy of hitting 70 today.  While that statement is true, going by official NWS rules, my high was only 69.4 degrees.  Another amazingly beautiful day.  Now that I think about it, today was the warmest day of the year so far.  It also looks like despite the very brief arctic intrusion Friday afternoon and night, every day between tomorrow and Sunday is going to be above normal.  Gotta go check on those numbers for this month.

Most Progs have Sat being below normal with low to mid 20's for lows and highs near 40.  MDT Normal is 43/25. A small victory in a terrible winter campaign if it happens. 

21 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Same here - forecast low was 46, got down to 46. 

My attempt at the top 5 worst purchases for winter 22/23 SO FAR.  Not that I purchased, just in general.   Not necessarily in order. 

1-Snow Blower.

2-A prepaid contract for plowing your driveway.

3-A season long Ski Pass.

4-A contract for balanced heating charges (oil/gas/propane/electricity) based on 30-year norms.  My overall heating bill is ~ 1/2 of what I was fearing.  Lowest since I moved back in 2018 despite electricity and oil being more expensive.  If one bought into one of those plans this year, they have lost hundreds if not over a thousand. 

5-A large bag of ice melt/salt.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

My attempt at the top 5 worst purchases for winter 22/23 SO FAR.  Not that I purchased, just in general.   Not necessarily in order. 

1-Snow Blower.

4-A contract for balanced heating charges (oil/gas/propane/electricity) based on 30-year norms.  My overall heating bill is ~ 1/2 of what I was fearing.  Lowest since I moved back in 2018 despite electricity and oil being more expensive.  If one bought into one of those plans this year, they have lost hundreds if not over a thousand. 

Good list - hard for me to come up with anything better or even what you have in a different order. I guess one could say that the ski pass for those who go to Roundtop MIGHT be a little lower...I only say that as it has gotten just cold enough at just the right times that they've been able to keep 65-75% of their trails open since late December. They've done better than the other 2 local resorts and I think mostly because almost all of their terrain receives minimal sun in January and February. Caveat is that they haven't been able to open the far left expert trails the entire season. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

1-Snow Blower.

Its my fault that winter is bad. I never got my snow blower out. its still tucked away in the garden shed. 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Good list - hard for me to come up with anything better or even what you have in a different order. I guess one could say that the ski pass for those who go to Roundtop MIGHT be a little lower...I only say that as it has gotten just cold enough at just the right times that they've been able to keep 65-75% of their trails open since late December. They've done better than the other 2 local resorts and I think mostly because almost all of their terrain receives minimal sun in January and February. Caveat is that they haven't been able to open the far left expert trails the entire season. 

Yea, the ski pass was the weaker one. I have spoken to a few people who said the resorts have done their best but skiing when it is 5-10 degrees AN is not what they are used to. 

4 minutes ago, pawatch said:

Old record yesterday was 60 degrees.

New record 72 degrees.

As Mag, said  we obliterated the old record 

Bub 

Snow blower purchase, but it will eventually get used.

Back out fishing this morning till the rain.

No offense to your snow blower purchase, that was the sarcastic one :-).  People who bought the standard monthly billing plans for heating needs are the ones who got hurt the most.   Re: if I had purchased that from my oil company, I would have paid about $1400 right now whereas I only paid about $800 buying on demand and I am sitting at 3/4 full on the tank so unlikely I purchase again this winter,   They do not give you the $$$ back. It is a gamble that you can win or lose. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, anotherman said:

This was years ago, but I bought one of those brick molders for making igloos/snow caves and I swear we've been skunked ever since.

That makes me think of another one...a chainsaw to make one of those ice sculptures.  Take about a lot of work for little return when baby melts almost every day since Dec 27th.