Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

11 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

@canderson

The GFS extended maintained some SE ridging (although a good bit colder overall in the east) but the latest run of the Euro weeklies that ran a couple nights ago definitely did not beyond week 2.

It had the entire lower 48 cold with no SE ridging starting from about the end of week 2 the whole way through the end at D46. 

Week 3 (7 day anomalies)

image.thumb.png.e3cf0b8279aab088244bcfe98369902d.png

image.thumb.png.eb178ccce44326753df146037f5dad5f.png

Week 4

image.thumb.png.4939f5af620efd7c6e49fdd3f7b0281b.pngimage.thumb.png.4939f5af620efd7c6e49fdd3f7b0281b.png

image.thumb.png.2dbf01737f3eb7f65cc918dfb8585321.png

It’ll be interesting to see what the MJO does. Most guidance gets it rapidly to Phase 8 as soon as the middle to latter part of next week. I think what happens after will be important, as maintaining convection in the 8-1-2 realm would probably go a long way to driving the wholesale change in the pattern at the mid latitudes we need to go on an actual wintry run. The MJO was persistently forecast to hit those phases in early to mid January but never actually emerged into any phase til it got to 3 late month. 

Theres also the stratosphere, as all guidance has been predicting significant warming and at least some stretching/displacement of the stratospheric PV and this starts occurring in the next week or so. The GFS/GEFS appears go as far as to try to split it. Either way, it’s significant enough that it will likely have an impact on the pattern down the road the next few weeks and a recent example of this is 2018. If it played out that way I think we’d be seeing snow opportunities well before Mar 23.

Great post!

It’s good to see the MJO speeding towards phase 8.
Hopefully we have a March like 2018, but I wouldn’t mind getting things going in late February.

15 hours ago, Yardstickgozinya said:

ATP it looks like we will be under the gun for sever weather late 16th and early the 17th with a favorable kinematic environment  foretasted to be not to far west of cpa.  The most volatile thermodynamics stay way south of the high kinematic values without much interaction atp . I'm rooting for an overlap, and hell on earth in cpa. Its been way to boring for this weather hound the last few months .  Maybe I can get some mood shingles flying around and accumulating in my backyard .

I apologize. I did mean to say could be under the gun for severe . No conducive  parameters close to home as of yet. Didn't mean to give the impression  I feel its  immanent , although the slight risk for day 6 did expand north and west overnight but still has a way to go to affect cpa.

Sunny with slightly above normal temps for today with a high near 43. Rain chances increase tomorrow and chilly with temps likely staying in the 30's in the Western parts of Chester County and near 40 further east. There could be some wet snow flakes or sleet mixed in for while during the early PM. We then turn sunny and mild again to start the new work week.
The records for today: High 64 (1960) / Low 13 below zero (1899) / Precipitation 1.68" (1983) / Snow 21.8" (1983) - that was day one of the 2 day blizzard that left Chester County under 22.4" of snow. This was the 10th largest snowstorm in County history.
image.png.ce3675da669f20e5ec97a736be1711bf.png
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

I already am expecting that to happen lmao Remember back in May 2020 when we got a snow squall in May?

I will never forget that day. Not only for the epicness of a snow squall in May, but also because it was the day I tore my rotator cuff playing a contortionist while trying to break loose a stubborn kitchen faucet connection. 

CTP sums it up

.LONG TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...
No changes generally to the extended as mild weather continues
through the extended with no winter weather in sight. POPs ramp
up again by Thu PM and have mentioned a schc TS in the NW ahead
of the cold front. Temps look like they will be falling all day on Fri if the timing remains solid. Still no widespread snow in sight.

This is the official forecast for my niece's neighborhood on the western outskirts of Flagstaff proper. Check out the winds.

Monday
Snow showers. High near 36. East wind 5 to 13 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Monday Night
A 20 percent chance of snow showers before 11pm. Patchy blowing snow after 5am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph.
Tuesday
Snow showers, mainly after 11am. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow, mainly after 11am. High near 31. Windy, with a southwest wind 25 to 32 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
Tuesday Night
Snow showers likely, mainly before 11pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 4. Windy, with a west wind 25 to 30 mph decreasing to 15 to 20 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
  • Like 3

Cloudy and chilly today with the best chance of rain across SE Chester County with less chances the further NW you travel across the county. Temperatures then warm up through Friday with highs possibly touching 60 degrees by Thursday. That day is also the best chance of rain after today. Much cooler again by Friday night into next weekend.
Records for today: High 68 degrees (1999) / Low 1 below zero (1979) / Precipitation 1.46" (1985)/ Snow 12.8" (2006) - GO BIRDS!!!
image.png.9d3af04a46908fd14461b8c2a96caf93.png
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ChescoWx said:
Sunny with slightly above normal temps for today with a high near 43. Rain chances increase tomorrow and chilly with temps likely staying in the 30's in the Western parts of Chester County and near 40 further east. There could be some wet snow flakes or sleet mixed in for while during the early PM. We then turn sunny and mild again to start the new work week.
The records for today: High 64 (1960) / Low 13 below zero (1899) / Precipitation 1.68" (1983) / Snow 21.8" (1983) - that was day one of the 2 day blizzard that left Chester County under 22.4" of snow. This was the 10th largest snowstorm in County history.
image.png.ce3675da669f20e5ec97a736be1711bf.png

I remember that snowstorm well, Nws was originally calling for 1-3 and they kept increasing the amounts through the storm. Storm complete with thunder and lightning I ended up with 17in. Harrisburg had I think 2ft. and if im not mistaken their greatest 1 hour snowfall during the storm of 6in.

• Like 1

All sorts of things are starting to sprout in the garden. Daffodils, hyacinth, rose bush buds. Going to get it ready Wednesday and do a bunch of mulching this next weekend I think. It’s two months early but honestly zero reason not so with no cold air around at least for another ~3 weeks, and if it comes it’ll be very short-lived given it’ll be mid March. 

Weather will be perfect for outdoor work. 

4 hours ago, canderson said:

Hey @Bubbler86 could you pull the wind barb graphic for Friday? I have a feeling it’ll show very strong winds following the front, perhaps exceeding any we’ve seen this season to date. 

Mean this one?  Not overly impressive on the GFS.  But....no cold air to Mid March?  I am selling on that predict.  LOL.  12Z GFS has -7 (negative seven) over MDT in 10 days.  99% it is overdone but not punting to mid-March.  CMC shows the cold air incoming as well at day 10. 

image.thumb.png.0c08251139fafbe9045e25c01693102a.png

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Mean this one?  Not overly impressive on the GFS.  No cold air to Mid March?  I am selling on that predict.  LOL.  12Z GFS has -7 (negative seven) over MDT in 10 days.  CMC shows the cold air incoming as well at day 10. 

image.thumb.png.0c08251139fafbe9045e25c01693102a.png

Oh that’s not bad at all. Interesting as that front is serious business - CTP has Friday as “windy”, upgraded from “breezy” lol. 

And I don’t buy any model past 5 days. At all. For anything. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Oh that’s not bad at all. Interesting as that front is serious business - CTP has Friday as “windy”, upgraded from “breezy” lol. 

And I don’t buy any model past 5 days. At all. For anything. 

Understood on the modeling....just not looking like winter is fully over either.