• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

5 minutes ago, GrandmasterB said:

Usually the ensembles are east of the OP (for whatever reason) but there are quite a few lows WELL east of the OP. 

The GEFS is still somewhat reflective on what the op was doing thermally despite the good clustering. The result is the snow swath it has focuses more on the northern half of PA.

Probability of 850mb temp being above 0 via the individual members:

image.thumb.png.b3cf4dc715edae9b60a17ef6dc5a5757.png

24 hr snowfall swath (mean):

image.thumb.png.8e53decd8dd589cea8a3873b3d704813.png

And I’m just doing analysis here, I’m not necessarily favoring one thing over the other right now. I mean gut says a fairly strong low tracking to the Delmarva and up (esp if it gets along the actual coastline instead of just inside) would deliver snow to all of central and at least a good portion to the Sus Valley… but we’re not working with any anomalous cold temps surface or aloft (850s are actually + anomalies). GFS could end up being more correct thermally even though with the low evolution it caved to the rest of guidance that featured a more dominant coastal low. Just putting the options out for consideration. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

GFS wasn’t super far off from 12z (it’s 12z run and vs Euro) in terms of its coastal track, which came a little bit further inside at 18z. It still should have hung decent snow on central/western PA on that track. The big difference was thermals. Notably warmer aloft preceding the event than the Euro, which may have to do with it holding more of a surface reflection west of the Apps coming up and pushing just enough of a warm nose into all of southern PA to make it messy and delay a changeover back to snow as the column cools with the deepening coastal low. It is an important thing to consider with this system, as we won’t have much surface high support and will be relying more on where the gradient is and the developing coastal low to eventually start pulling favorable thermals back toward itself as it quickly comes up the coast. These are the details to get sorted out the next couple days but I’m sure it’ll take getting into NAM/HuRRR range to really get some kind of good handle. 

Big thing for now is at least the GFS continues to develop the decent coastal low getting to the Delmarva region. This had about been the only model that consistently wasn’t doing that (keeping primary west of the Apps to the Lower Lakes) the last few days until today.

Yea.  The GFS getting the inland low to Ohio was a killer. It both delayed a change over and took out any snow WAA for the LSV/southern PA. 

39 minutes ago, anotherman said:

HAHA the GFS operational has no clue. It may be the worst global out there right now.

I strongly agree….

Yesterday the GFS Op had the low going to Toronto one run, to the DelMarVa the next run back to Indiana the next run!

It was the last model to get any idea that a storm might form near the coast. The wild swings are really just funny at this point. The latest upgrade made it much worse.

I read recently that it ranks 5th in terms of Operational models. I really can’t trust it outside of 48 hours at this time in my opinion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

18z ICON looks somewhat weaker as it exits the coast - 12z was a little more wound up and was throwing heavier precip back into the eastern half of PA.

With very marginal temps - weaker storm - lighter precip - less white gold and more light rain. (generalization)

The 18z ICON was actually pretty good.

2BF26C28-9627-4FD7-A726-BEA8F2CC2DE6.png

When I see the snow totals through day 15/16 on the major ensembles get to these amounts with a few threat windows possible, it screams to me that it’s going to snow!

It wasn’t too long ago that we were struggling to get the light blues to the LSV. Now, we are seeing the purples & pinks over many LSV yards!

F5DD48C5-330B-43B2-99B8-043E4D199B97.png

F123A9B7-F10E-472F-AF6E-53DD7E0384F9.png

A58EA237-91DE-43F5-BC06-1AA93B9DC4BA.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anotherman said:

HAHA the GFS operational has no clue. It may be the worst global out there right now.

I wish you were wrong but the word horrid'r comes to mind.  Run to run variations are just crazy at long range, but even into the mid range its just dizzying.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

It’s going to be a very long couple of weeks on here….

Still setting a low bar down here in SE Pa for this weekend. 

Nice to see the Ens guidance still notably east, but soon enough (like tomorrow) we need to start paying more attention to the Op's (good or bad) as they will start to hone in on the have's and have nots for this weekend. 

Beyond that its silly to put much credence into individual storm disco other than general chances and pattern evolution.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

or at the 0z's

He can say all he wants, but hes a sucker for punishment - like most of us

some of us just wear it better than others :D

Hey I see folks in the various subforums with a bunch of "I won't watch till 3 days" bravado...but you know darn good and well ain't no weenie got enough discipline not to look before that! Lolol Now until five days? MAYBE. But for dang sure not no three :lol:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Hey I see folks in the various subforums with a bunch of "I won't watch till 3 days" bravado...but you know darn good and well ain't no weenie got enough discipline not to look before that! Lolol Now until five days? Maybe. But for dang sure not no three :lol:

Welcome to Central PA Maestro! We're sure to have a symphony of storms that will be music to our ears. :)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Still setting a low bar down here in SE Pa for this weekend. 

Nice to see the Ens guidance still notably east, but soon enough (like tomorrow) we need to start paying more attention to the Op's (good or bad) as they will start to hone in on the have's and have nots for this weekend. 

Beyond that its silly to put much credence into individual storm disco other than general chances and pattern evolution.  

Like you have said the past few days, at least now we are in a pattern of chances.

We might win some & lose some, but at least we are now back in the game!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Hey I see folks in the various subforums with a bunch of "I won't watch till 3 days" bravado...but you know darn good and well ain't no weenie got enough discipline not to look before that! Lolol Now until five days? MAYBE. But for dang sure not no three :lol:

yeah were all "down w da sickness"

• Haha 2

Here’s a look under the hood of the ensemble guidance at a location. Using MDT here.

18z GEFS

1821665603_GFS-ENSMDT.thumb.png.ce9868acf00b511a5c4291ca9a53a0f2.png

18z Euro:

image.thumb.png.e6b3558d61e4fbb51f07d9c3495fcd4a.png

This really brings out the difference that remains in the ensemble camps in an area (LSV) that figures to be the biggest tossup trying to establish where the R/S line might setup and if most LSV sees mainly rain, mainly snow delivering sig accums or something in between. Recall the favorable low clustering the GEFS has. Despite that, GEFS presents 11/30 measurable with only 2 of those big hits with the other 9 minor measurable. Euro EPS has way more supportive (reflecting a colder column overall) with 50/51 (plus the control) showing measurable with almost half of those being a moderate snowfall. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

My little one has an ENT appointment in State College on Monday, so I imagine UNV will get dumped on to make the travel there a real ass pain.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

You have pliers and a flashlight. I don’t see a problem*. 

* jk hope everything’s okay 

34 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Here’s a look under the hood of the ensemble guidance at a location. Using MDT here.

18z GEFS

1821665603_GFS-ENSMDT.thumb.png.ce9868acf00b511a5c4291ca9a53a0f2.png

18z Euro:

image.thumb.png.e6b3558d61e4fbb51f07d9c3495fcd4a.png

This really brings out the difference that remains in the ensemble camps in an area (LSV) that figures to be the biggest tossup trying to establish where the R/S line might setup and if most LSV sees mainly rain, mainly snow delivering sig accums or something in between. Recall the favorable low clustering the GEFS has. Despite that, GEFS presents 11/30 measurable with only 2 of those big hits with the other 9 minor measurable. Euro EPS has way more supportive (reflecting a colder column overall) with 50/51 (plus the control) showing measurable with almost half of those being a moderate snowfall. 

The EPS has also been consistent for the last few days with the track while the GEFS has been bouncing around.

6 minutes ago, GrandmasterB said:

Time for the NAM prediction post 84 hours and my guess is that would be a hit.

I agree, of course with all of the disclaimers of the extrapolated NAM…but it looks good.
Here is the end of the 0z NAM & the 12z Euro (great hit for us) from today for the same time stamp as of Sunday am.

NAM even has the 540 line near DC, even further south than the Euro.

FB5FDFB1-3AC3-4D80-88BC-0489F271E77B.png

1D1DDDDC-A22E-4EC8-B55C-C2193F0FE68F.png

• Like 1