• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

The problem in SW PA (Pitt area)  is the primary.  Every time one tracks toward our are, WAA wins out with cold rain.  CAD to our east allows for central to some of southeastern Pa to receive more frozen.  If you look at snow maps, you will notice a small portion of SW PA with very little in the form of snow. 
I've never understood why people from outside of the Pittsburgh area consider Pittsburgh to be part of the Mid-Atlantic and/or Northeast. Climatologically, Pittsburgh is probably closer to Kentucky than even Erie, State College, or Williamsport.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

This is where the punter is starting to stretch out LOL.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Punter? This more like the Dallas kicker who just keeps missing. Just when you think this can't miss again boom it does.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

I'm pretty convinced it won't snow for the LSV at all in any of these threats. The MA/East Coast needs a significant pattern change. 

have faith my friend.  The change you request is ongoing out west.  Like I've been saying, its not a light switch and once the ridging gets established, it'll force trough into central/eastern US and SHOULD start showing better looks once this gets established.  How long it sticks around is the bigger concern from what I'm seeing.  May be short lived window, but thats way too far out for most of us weenies to fret about....yet.

gfs_z500a_namer_27.png

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

have faith my friend.  The change you request is ongoing out west.  Like I've been saying, its not a light switch and once the ridging gets established, it'll force trough into central/eastern US and SHOULD start showing better looks once this gets established.  How long it sticks around is the bigger concern from what I'm seeing.  May be short lived window, but thats way too far out for most of us weenies to fret about....yet.

gfs_z500a_namer_27.png

Yeah, I just don't see that happening in time for the next two storm opportunities. Think we have to wait until the turn of the month, but I'm an idiot who is skeptical of snow when the winter has been non-existant for like 92 percent of the US' population. 

Elliott's thoughts:

After one of the warmest first 18 days of #January on record, two storm systems bear watching for the first winter-weather threats of the month in south-central PA. The first comes Sunday afternoon through Monday morning w/the second slated for the middle of next week..

The exact track of each system will be critical in determining precip types, but the odds favor both being "snow-to-rain" or "plain rain" events in Lancaster County. With no high-latitude blocking in place, both systems will move quickly, limiting how much precip can fall..

Areas north of I-76 and west of I-81 have a better chance of receiving a slushy accumulation of snow from one or both systems, but it's too early to start discussing potential amounts. Any N/W shift in the storms' tracks would mean even less snow.. or thwart snow entirely..

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Elliott's thoughts:

After one of the warmest first 18 days of #January on record, two storm systems bear watching for the first winter-weather threats of the month in south-central PA. The first comes Sunday afternoon through Monday morning w/the second slated for the middle of next week..

The exact track of each system will be critical in determining precip types, but the odds favor both being "snow-to-rain" or "plain rain" events in Lancaster County. With no high-latitude blocking in place, both systems will move quickly, limiting how much precip can fall..

Areas north of I-76 and west of I-81 have a better chance of receiving a slushy accumulation of snow from one or both systems, but it's too early to start discussing potential amounts. Any N/W shift in the storms' tracks would mean even less snow.. or thwart snow entirely..

Thwart is a good a word for 12Z runs sans the Nam.