joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion 2022

Frog Town

On 1/1/2023 at 12:24 PM, Hoosier said:

December finished -1.4 at ORD.

:lmao: This is comical.

30-40 years ago, Dec. 2022's average temp of 29.1F would have generated a departure of roughly +2 to +3...as ORD's normals have gone up significantly over the past generation.  This was not a cold December.  23 days had highs of 30F+, and 14 days had highs of 40F+.  That is not even close to being wintry...yet somehow it's a below normal month???  Just ridiculous in so many ways; this is Exhbiit A (among hundreds of other examples) of how bad our winter climo is.  December has the shortest days of the year, yet almost half the days in Dec. 2022 were in the 40s or warmer.

Besides the 3-4 cold days around Christmas, the rest of the month was a torch. 

I actually agree with cromartie on this one...probably for the first (and only) time in history. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

30-40 years ago, Dec. 2022's average temp of 29.1F would have generated a departure of roughly +2 to +3...as ORD's normals have gone up significantly over the past generation.  This was not a cold December.  23 days had highs of 30F+, and 14 days had highs of 40F+.  That is not even close to being wintry...yet somehow it's a below normal month???  Just ridiculous in so many ways; this is Exhbiit A (among hundreds of other examples) of how bad our winter climo is.  December has the shortest days of the year, yet almost half the days in Dec. 2022 were in the 40s or warmer.

I actually agree with cromartie on this one...probably for the first (and only) time in history. 

It was brutally cold for the entire last week of December. Literally as cold as it can get, for days on end. The short December days don't cause cold days in December - they cause the cold days of January-March. It's called seasonal temperature lag. And it's Meteorology 101. We just went through a sunspot cycle. It cycled towards warmth. Now it's going to cycle back towards cold weather. If you think that the average temperature between extremes is the "normal" temperature you're living in a fantasy world.  

That was a cold December. And for many of us, it snowed over and over again. I stopped counting a couple weeks ago when we hit 12 days with snowfall here in north-central Indiana. It's probably more like 15-16 now. 

And winter is, at a maximum, only 1/3 of the way through. Chill out.

2 hours ago, SnOvechkin said:

It was brutally cold for the entire last week of December. Literally as cold as it can get, for days on end. The short December days don't cause cold days in December - they cause the cold days of January-March. It's called seasonal temperature lag. And it's Meteorology 101. We just went through a sunspot cycle. It cycled towards warmth. Now it's going to cycle back towards cold weather. If you think that the average temperature between extremes is the "normal" temperature you're living in a fantasy world.  

That was a cold December. And for many of us, it snowed over and over again. I stopped counting a couple weeks ago when we hit 12 days with snowfall here in north-central Indiana. It's probably more like 15-16 now. 

And winter is, at a maximum, only 1/3 of the way through. Chill out.

We've had no more than 1" of snow on the ground here all winter.  Maybe your location has had a bit more...but probably not enough to make a difference.  I'm guessing you have no snow on the ground now, right?  If so, then the 15-16 days of flakes in the air with little if any accumulation on each of those days doesn't really mean much.  Flakes in the air are festive when there's already a foot of snow on the ground...but when the ground is bare, it doesn't really matter.

In winter, days should be in the 20s and nights should be 5-15 degrees...and there should be snow on the ground.  Not saying blizzards and sub-zero temps need to occur all the time...but when you look outside the window, it should look like winter.  Very simple, and not too much to ask.  And when you go outside, it should be cold.  The warmest days should be in the 30s; day after day of 30s and 40s isn't winter.

Just asking for seasons in seasons.  In JJA, it feels and looks like summer.  In DJF, it should feel and look like winter. 

21 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

In JJA, it feels and looks like summer.  In DJF, it should feel and look like winter. 

Does it always feel like summer in JJA around Chicago though? 

A typical June will have at least a couple days with highs in the 60s in Chicago (and more than that the closer you are to the lake).  That's not very summer-like.

In July 2021, Chicago had 12 days with a high under 80, and one of those days had a high in the 60s!  That's not very summer-like, especially when it's in the mid 70s or cooler.

So I think you are overstating the look and feel of summer thing a bit.  It's not some automatic guarantee to be that way.

10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Does it always feel like summer in JJA around Chicago though? 

A typical June will have at least a couple days with highs in the 60s in Chicago (and more than that the closer you are to the lake).  That's not very summer-like.

In July 2021, Chicago had 12 days with a high under 80, and one of those days had a high in the 60s!  That's not very summer-like, especially when it's in the mid 70s or cooler.

So I think you are overstating the look and feel of summer thing a bit.  It's not some automatic guarantee to be that way.

Maybe a bit…and it would be probably more accurate to say June 10th - September 10th due to the colder lake in the spring. But even on the fairly rare July day with a high temp cooler than 75F, it’s probably humid…which still makes it feel like summer. And the trees are obviously in full bloom…which to me is equivalent to having snow cover during winter. 

Even if you use a threshold of “85% of days feeling like summer”, we pretty much hit that every year…but it’s rare where we have 85% of days with snow cover in winter. Only 1978-79 comes to mind. 

Just now, beavis1729 said:

Maybe a bit…and it would be probably more accurate to say June 10th - September 10th due to the colder lake. But even on the fairly rare July day with a high temp cooler than 75F, it’s probably humid…which still makes it feel like summer. And the trees are obviously in full bloom…which to me is equivalent to having snow cover during winter. 

lol, no to all of this.

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

lol, no to all of this.

Why is it that, on a weather forum in a winter thread during the heart of winter, no one seems to care about the lack of wintry weather? Should we just post about whether it’s cloudy and 40 or sunny and 45?

Does anyone else lament our lack of winter besides me?? What am I missing? Do people think it’s ok to have days on end of bare ground in the middle of winter? To each their own I guess…but then why post in a winter thread and annoy those who, heaven forbid, would like to enjoy this season for 3 months out of 12?

1 minute ago, beavis1729 said:

Why is it that, on a weather forum in a winter thread during the heart of winter, no one seems to care about the lack of wintry weather? Should we just post about whether it’s cloudy and 40 or sunny and 45?

Does anyone else lament our lack of winter besides me?? What am I missing? Do people think it’s ok to have days on end of bare ground in the middle of winter? To each their own I guess…but then why post in a winter thread and annoy those who, heaven forbid, would like to enjoy this season for 3 months out of 12?

I love snow probably just as much as you do but I'm getting the vibe that your concept of winter is based on Norway or some shit rather than what winter here actually is like. 

3 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

40 years ago, this December would be a departure of +0.3°. 80 years ago, this December would be a departure of -1.0°. At no point in Chicago's climate record would this December be +2-3°.

2 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

I love snow probably just as much as you do but I'm getting the vibe that your concept of winter is based on Norway or some shit rather than what winter here actually is like. 

I agree. I love snow as much more than anyone.  And needless to say this Winter outside of Christmas week has been frustrating so far.  Just saying I'm not happy with the current weather pattern is an understatement.  Some ranting is definitely acceptable, but I just don't get the delusional concept of what is normal.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

The equivalent of trees being in bloom is trees not being in bloom. 

Ha ha. It’s an emotional thing, not a logical equivalence.

If you walk to a park on a summer day, what do you notice? Probably the fully leafed out trees, with the leaves swaying in the breeze.

If you walk to a park in the winter (channeling Currier and Ives), do you think “oh great, the trees aren’t in bloom”? No - you imagine the picture postcard of snow on the ground. That’s the difference. 

2 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Ha ha. It’s an emotional thing, not a logical equivalence.

If you walk to a park on a summer day, what do you notice? Probably the fully leafed out trees, with the leaves swaying in the breeze.

If you walk to a park in the winter (channeling Currier and Ives), do you think “oh great, the trees aren’t in bloom”? No - you imagine the picture postcard of snow on the ground. That’s the difference. 

Yeah, that was silly of me. I really do agree with you insofar as I wish we had wall to wall snow and cold too. I just think I've convinced myself that it's not gonna happen unless I pack my bags

19 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

Its sad that the highlights of the winter lately have been the Beavis snow meltdown, followed by this comment, followed by more complaining that Chicago's winter climo sucks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1