Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The craziest thing to me is you have been drier overall since May.. but he really crushed us here from about July 20- Aug 25. That period was insanely dry with just about everything missing plus minus a few days either side . That coincides with the hottest portion of the summer , high sun angle and everything just freaking died  . My guess is if there’s little rain the next 15 days as modeled.. we’ll see a slower progression of what just happened . Lower sun angle, longer nights should mitigate to some degree.. but things will slowly go back to death and Stein . Especially with low dew days . Those really hurt .  That storm we had on Friday took down all the remaining leaves that hadn’t already dropped. This pic below is from a few hours before it hit. Had a black birch drop all its leaves in one day fully green 

LNJn5vu.jpg

I’ve been one of the driest around since May. The center of Stein. 

20 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, I'm not ahead of you by much but at least had 1.5" last week.  The GFS was a Steinwall for all but the spine of the Greens through day 12. 

PF using up all his yearly qpf on summer convection?

Close to 2” last week so we’ll take it. 

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Hopefully VT leaves me a few drops after midnight 

Watching the storms from my neighbors webcam looking west.  The anvil would suggest it is moving our way but nope, line just too far west.  Maybe late tonight a bit of rain?  If not August will end with 2.27" for me.

ss.jpg

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, I'm not ahead of you by much but at least had 1.5" last week.  The GFS was a Steinwall for all but the spine of the Greens through day 12. 

PF using up all his yearly qpf on summer convection?

We really have been pretty dry.  The totals are well below normal but frequency has saved us.

The areas that got smoked this past week or so in SNE have passed us :lol:.

Can just see it in the color of the dots on CoCoRAHS. The past 60 days the highest totals here in like N.CT, Taunton area, S.Coast, Lakes Region into adjacent Maine.

East of the Spine here in the same zone as most other places.  I wish there was a way to plot total days with precipitation, that would be highest up this way for sure.

Past 60 day jackpots are darker colored.

39DCBE48-9EC3-48C1-A7A8-FDAFA8F678FF.thumb.jpeg.01084a34f7d03073dad48bcbf80d2d31.jpeg

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Going back to May 30th through August 30th… 

Scattered zones of jackpots like Tolland County, parts of RI, Taunton to S.Shore.  Another stripe in CNE and then NW VT.

RT 2 in Mass and SNE south coast seems like ground zero for 90-day precip.

5E9B3F89-E8ED-4EDD-8204-57F22082F3D3.thumb.jpeg.21bbdda81e1a7aa01ffd49a9ce1ab91e.jpeg

I’m not sure why you keep saying Tolland County other than to illicit a responsible SNE from me .. which you’ve achieved. Our area has been far from a jackpot . That blue dot map is horrific btw. Why not post SB actual qpf anomaly map ? As an example in July Stafford to my north had 4-5”.. I had 2.82 . That awful map also has Scooters area and just south as a Jack and they’ve been close one of the driest. I mean lol

QboMHf1.jpg

35 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m not sure why you keep saying Tolland County other than to illicit a responsible SNE from me .. which you’ve achieved. Our area has been far from a jackpot . That blue dot map is horrific btw. Why not post SB actual qpf anomaly map ? As an example in July Stafford to my north had 4-5”.. I had 2.82 . That awful map also has Scooters area and just south as a Jack and they’ve been close one of the driest. I mean lol

Dude, most of your county has had more rain past 90-days than where I live :lol:.

This is May 30th to August 30th.

399300E4-CA3C-4DC3-AC14-D8181108DD46.thumb.jpeg.7cc8b0f903db0e6d29bdbb1e25cff29a.jpeg

Up around me… 9.03” for Stowe’s Lower Village there.

Tolland County has no spots under 8”, but up here we have a few.

2460F41F-B522-4D6B-AAA2-6AA93E1D17DE.thumb.jpeg.cbd8cf767e643f081d02ff375963bf3e.jpeg

Just look at the two 90-day map totals.  Everyone thinks we have been soaked.

It just rains a little every day but totals wise, many from N.CT through Taunton have had more water.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The craziest thing to me is you have been drier overall since May.. but he really crushed us here from about July 20- Aug 25. That period was insanely dry with just about everything missing plus minus a few days either side . That coincides with the hottest portion of the summer , high sun angle and everything just freaking died  . My guess is if there’s little rain the next 15 days as modeled.. we’ll see a slower progression of what just happened . Lower sun angle, longer nights should mitigate to some degree.. but things will slowly go back to death and Stein . Especially with low dew days . Those really hurt .  That storm we had on Friday took down all the remaining leaves that hadn’t already dropped. This pic below is from a few hours before it hit. Had a black birch drop all its leaves in one day fully green 

LNJn5vu.jpg

We’re dropping leaves here too. Had to do my first cleanup yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Dude, most of your county has had more rain past 90-days than where I live :lol:.

This is May 30th to August 30th.

399300E4-CA3C-4DC3-AC14-D8181108DD46.thumb.jpeg.7cc8b0f903db0e6d29bdbb1e25cff29a.jpeg

Up around me… 9.03” for Stowe Village there.

Tolland County has no spots under 8”, but up here we have a few.

2460F41F-B522-4D6B-AAA2-6AA93E1D17DE.thumb.jpeg.cbd8cf767e643f081d02ff375963bf3e.jpeg

You get rains almost daily . Ours has come in short intervals . I went 15-16 days of nothing . Big big difference. You aren’t comparing apples to apples 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There is nowhere in W MA North of I-90 that looks that green.   A few haves this summer and lots of have nots.

Seeing these pics is kind of crazy, if you made the quick drive over the border up here, you would think its the Congo or something.  

Realize that is not the norm in NE obviously and some of it is just dumb luck. Hate to even say have almost another 1" today..lol.

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You get rains almost daily . Ours has come in short intervals . I went 15-16 days of nothing . Big big difference. You aren’t comparing apples to apples 

Yeah that’s why I said I wish there was a map with number of days of precip… that would be interesting.  I can’t figure out how to do it.

I just chuckle because everyone thinks we are raking in QPF.

If someone pulled this data up in 15 years they’d have a completely different opinion on the summer water than what we have in this forum where everyone thinks we are flooding rains up here.  Looking back at the total precip summaries they’d be like hmmm, the same water from CT to Taunton as up north in N/C VT… 7-12”.

Our water levels up north are very low BUT the vegetation is fine.  Guess that’s why you water your garden lightly every other day or something over than flooding it once every two weeks.

1 minute ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Seeing these pics is kind of crazy, if you made the quick drive over the border up here, you would think its the Congo or something.  

Realize that is not the norm in NE obviously and some of it is just dumb luck. Hate to even say have almost another 1" today..lol.

Sounds like a typical monthly total in my hood recently.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that’s why I said I wish there was a map with number of days of precip… that would be interesting.  I can’t figure out how to do it.

I just chuckle because everyone thinks we are raking in QPF.

If someone pulled this up in 15 years they’d have a completely different opinion on the summer water than what we have in this forum where everyone thinks we are flooding rains up here.  Looking back at the total precip summaries they’d be like hmmm, the same from CT to Taunton as up north in N/C VT.

Tonight a great example. Much of VT  will probably get  1”+. While most of SNE gets under .2.. some get none . But then some storm on Labor Day drops 2” in a narrow area in SNE 

11 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

it’s unbelievable, I have a couple of good friends that live along the RT 9 corridor in Vermont and they have double our totals in the MA RT 2 corridor.  So many storms have just skirted N of the line between Vermont and Massachusetts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Tonight a great example. Much of VT  will probably get  1”+. While most of SNE gets under .2.. some get none . But then some storm on Labor Day drops 2” in a narrow area in SNE 

Yeah it will be funny when this warm season is completely done to compare total water amounts to our general perception of the season.  I swear people on here think we’ve had two feet of rain up north when we are in total comparable to NE CT (just got there much differently).