northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 26-27 Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make that 2. 40/68. Near whiff. Cape gets 3-6.

ROFL.

Will be incredibly interesting to read NCEP at 230ish on the EC. I'm betting they tossed or adjusted for the errors that NCEP didn't catch.

I think I'm jumping ship. I'm furious at myself for not doing what we did in the ne.weather and IRC days in checking inits, Justin, Brian, Ryan were oustanding at doing that back then. I'm pretty confident these errors existed prior to the 12z run. I bet if someone goes back and looks at HPC analysis versus inits they'll see some differences for the last day up NW.

Anyway, the off hour runs seem to level these changes out and seeing as I think the EC is no better or worse than the GFS lately, won't worry about it until Santa time.

What a freaking disaster. I worry now the near miss/slight graze models are right and if I had to go and put out a forecast the .5 would be shifted down to extreme SEMA.

Ec ens ftw

Looks like this tracks a bit E of the EC ens mean when toggling it...hopefully the ens mean has the better idea...would be a big difference for the eastern areas.

Its amazing how consistent the EC ens mean has been...basically oscillating between about the BM and 75 mi E....for the last 5 or 6 runs.

Anyway, time to question whether these west solutions were being influenced for the last few days.

The most discussed 4" snowstorm in the history of mankind may haunt me.

NCEP updated

THE NEW UKMET/CANADIAN ARE DIFFICULT TO EVALUATE FOR

INITIALIZATION SINCE WE RECEIVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF DATA.

HOWEVER...THEIR SOLUTIONS LIE WITHIN THE EASTERN HALF OF THE

GUIDANCE ONCE THE INDIVIDUAL TROUGHS PHASE TO PRODUCE THE

DEEPENING LOW OFFSHORE...WHICH HAS CONSISTENTLY BEEN THE CASE.

THUS...INITIAL RECOMMENDATIONS ARE PRESERVED WITH CONTINUITY MOST

PREFERRED.

Everyone is jumping ship because the EURO shows a bad run and the GFS had bad data....wow...and the low hasn't even gotten to the coast yet.... hmmm...

Its probably safe to toss a GFS type solution which takes most areas west of ORH out of the game decent snow....to the east though, the storm threat is very much still alive.

It's important not to latch onto anything concrete yet if you are in the eastern half of SNE. SREF probabilities (usually skiddish at this time range) actually have some decent 4"+ (and even 8"+) in E and SE areas.

Everyone is jumping ship because the EURO shows a bad run and the GFS had bad data....wow...and the low hasn't even gotten to the coast yet.... hmmm...

Who cares whether a run is "good" or "bad". The most important thing as we are now getting into the short term is that we have been seeing some pretty solid agreement now on the Euro ens and despite what the Euro showed a few days ago it has come around to be more consistent with a track this is pretty darn close to the benchmark. This run still hits eastern sections but with not as much snow.

We can all probably agree now this will get eastern sections and places as far west as ORH will see something out of this...the question then soon will become how much snow.

The wind threat will have to be watched closely as well, especially if you're looking at moderate snowfall accumulations.

Archived