Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 26-27 Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its probably safe to toss a GFS type solution which takes most areas west of ORH out of the game decent snow....to the east though, the storm threat is very much still alive.

It's important not to latch onto anything concrete yet if you are in the eastern half of SNE. SREF probabilities (usually skiddish at this time range) actually have some decent 4"+ (and even 8"+) in E and SE areas.

Yeah for all we know the 12z ensembles could tick west of 00z. Probably a good bet that we see more wobbles in models over the next 24 hours (although hopefully no 150 miles shifts). Each wobble could be a difference of 4" or more for some.

A lot like the OP GFS which NCEP said we should disregard.

If the EC had the same errors at 12z and if those are removed at 0z are we now at a total miss? LOL.

Who cares, Merry Xmas, and let the heads roll for those that didn't data check somewhere along the line.

I'd like clear weather on Monday.

The agreement between the GFS ensembles in mind boggling to me, initialization errors or not. Have never seen that! That tells me that at very least this is trending west. We still have 48h to trend this a little more west. GFS OP not out of the question but not likely either. EC op may be a wobble, have to wait for the ensembles.

Yeah for all we know the 12z ensembles could tick west of 00z. Probably a good bet that we see more wobbles in models over the next 24 hours (although hopefully no 150 miles shifts). Each wobble could be a difference of 4" or more for some.

The agreement between the GFS ensembles in mind boggling to me, initialization errors or not. Have never seen that! That tells me that at very least this is trending west. We still have 48h to trend this a little more west. GFS OP not out of the question but not likely either. EC op may be a wobble, have to wait for the ensembles.

Well you're much more confident than I am.

I think a trend west from yesterday could still be real, but all we are saying is that the gfs position seems very suspect...and likely is. I mean a 50 mile shift is more what I was thinking as realistic. I didn't like the euro run today, but I honestly have no idea how or if it was affected by all these issues. It would seem rather stable imo, but I'm not HPC. We have 60-72 hrs so all options are there. Models will wobble from run to run, but we are all hanging by a thread since we are close to a sharp western cutoff. For all we know, the 00z euro could go a little west....or maybe it goes east. Seems hard to go against the ec ensembles as of late.

I am waiting until the 12z EURO run for tomorrow afternoon before jumping to any conclusions. TAN said watches will be issued by tomorrow if models came to better agreement, problem is there is no strong consistency with the EURO or GFS, the ensembles are consistent until today's 12z GEFS means. I would take a EC ensemble mean track from 00z. My best guess at a track is 35n/75w to 41n/69w for the SLP center. Question becomes intensity at this point and QPF output.

This run was certainly much further west than 6Z, but as I recall the 0Z GFS was quite a good hit for most of NE with measurable back into far eastern NY. So it's not like the model hasn't had some westerly solutions before this run.

The run uses some previous data from the run before it. I wouldn't put much faith in the 18z either.

Wouldn't be shocked at a massive shift east at 18z from 12z.

I don't know about massive shift but a correction east seems quite possible if not likely. However, for me, the mere fact that a deep cyclone will be in our vicinity is enough to warrant further interest. A wobble here, a wobble there and we're into the goods. I really wouldn't be surprised if it does end up tucking inside the BM in the end.

I don't know about massive shift but a correction east seems quite possible if not likely. However, for me, the mere fact that a deep cyclone will be in our vicinity is enough to warrant further interest. A wobble here, a wobble there and we're into the goods. I really wouldn't be surprised if it does end up tucking inside the BM in the end.

Well 150 miles would be pretty massive, but I said "shocked" not expected. Models work buy incorporating previous run's data so I'm not sure how valuable the 18z run will be.

Archived