12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Christmas Storm VI

Cold Rain

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Merry Christmas Dawson! Appreciate you keeping us Atlanta folks grounded! I keep seeing where FFC says a mix this afternoon then all snow? I don't see how the column will go snow, mix, then back to snow?? I think this is keeping them from upping the totals as well.

Thoughts?

The mix at the start would be due to the dry atmosphere from 850mb and lower. Then it could turn to a period of rain before the final cold moves in later this afternoon. That scenario looks likely for your area. Merry Christmas to you too!

Merry Christmas Dawson! Appreciate you keeping us Atlanta folks grounded! I keep seeing where FFC says a mix this afternoon then all snow? I don't see how the column will go snow, mix, then back to snow?? I think this is keeping them from upping the totals as well.

Thoughts?

I will take my 1.01" of QPF laughing all the way to the bank.....the nice thing is typically the models underperform on QPF with strong coastal lows for us, looks like someone in the central and northern coastal plains is gonna get a foot or more :thumbsup:

The mix at the start would be due to the dry atmosphere from 850mb and lower. Then it could turn to a period of rain before the final cold moves in later this afternoon. That scenario looks likely for your area. Merry Christmas to you too!

How are you looking for this? A great present for a whole lot of the SE. Merry Christmas!

I can already tell in terms of our local TV market that the storm coverage will be an epic fail due to it being Christmas...There's only 1 station that's doing their normal Saturday Morning show and she just showed a map that said WNC would get between 1-2 inches of snow. :axe:

At least we got Andy and Kendra (FOX Carolina) posting updates on their blog.

Andy is the only one keeping us updated. Kendra has not been on there in days. Andy pulled an all nightér again.

Relevant to N AL/GA and S TN peeps: I'm wondering if the stubborn near-surface temperatures shown across much of this area on the RUC through the morning will actually come to fruition. I was counting on wasting at least my first 0.10" on rain or slop, based upon seeing 2m T of 36-37 F depicted here (Huntsville) on every run of the RUC before the heavier stuff got going around 15-17z. But we just had a brief period of moderate SN (with some rain mixed in) that dropped us to 34/32, much earlier than the RUC had us falling below 35 F, and covered the lawn and rooftops with a coating. So at this point, my guess is that any substantial precip over this region will fall as SN right off the bat, and probably accumulating SN at that (borderline temps right at 2m notwithstanding).

Merry Christmas, SE Friends and visitors! Once again, great discussion and links, etc overnight. Thanks, everyone!

Partly cloudy and 30° here this morning - now we play the waiting game. Still looks like we'll start out wet before becoming white later this afternoon. Got the funnel out of the gauge and dusted the snowboard off. Can't wait to start reading the observations from everyone! Have a great day!! :snowman:

I think we are good for 2-4" with potential for more. Totally awesome! I have a feeling you will be in the "more" part of that statement. Merry Christmas!!!

What are your thoughts regarding temp issues? Looks like much of the area is below freezing (I'm at 31 and I know Dacula is) but will there be enough warm air at the start to warm us up above freezing like FFC is forecasting?

Is anyone worried about sunshine this morning ? Clouds are pretty thin and I'm afraid we'll see a good bit of sunshine to warm things up quickly.

I am to some degree.... its this in large part why the RUC is showing a large portion of the deformation band as rain as it takes a while for the dynamical cooling from melting snowflakes to change the low levels below freezing and allow snow to reach the surface. Hopefully the cloud bank thickens up pretty quickly around here.

Relevant to N AL/GA and S TN peeps: I'm wondering if the stubborn near-surface temperatures shown across much of this area on the RUC through the morning will actually come to fruition. I was counting on wasting at least my first 0.10" on rain or slop, based upon seeing 2m T of 36-37 F depicted here (Huntsville) on every run of the RUC before the heavier stuff got going around 15-17z. But we just had a brief period of moderate SN (with some rain mixed in) that dropped us to 34/32, much earlier than the RUC had us falling below 35 F, and covered the lawn and rooftops with a coating. So at this point, my guess is that any substantial precip over this region will fall as SN right off the bat, and probably accumulating SN at that (borderline temps right at 2m notwithstanding).

Interesting Observations... It looks like you might be under this band for a while... so I wouldn't be surprised to see you flip back to all snow and start getting more substantial accumulations.

Archived