Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t ever recall a Mayorch with so many days of dews in the single digits. I mean lawns aren’t growing . Almost no rain all month and these dews and full sun and wind. It’s like Nevada out there. Thankfully dews get into the 60’s late week/ weekend 

I tried telling you that last month, and you insisted that my lawn head to be growing lol

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Different world down there in NYC climate 

Every plant and tree is pretty much fully leafed out down here. The last real cold/freeze here was March 11-14. Its been 56 days here since my last below 32 temp. 

20220509-095316.jpg

13 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Every plant and tree is pretty much fully leafed out down here. The last real cold/freeze here was March 11-14. Its been 56 days here since my last below 32 temp. 

20220509-095316.jpg

Wow stick season up on the hill here. Valley has Norways and landscape trees blooming but it's only buds here. Hopefully the torch cometh and we can say goodbye to the last gasps of winter chill. Wind already this morning. Need some calm winds for the garden burnout before tilling.

12 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Lol I’m far from NYC climate 6 miles south of OXC, difference is the rain we haven’t missed out down here.  Also the elevation helps with not going below freezing in weeks. 

Your really close actually.  Looks like Shelton/Derby is in plant hardiness zone 7a. 

METRONYCUSDAZoneMap1.jpg

12 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

This end of the week summer like period is fading faster then March snowfall. Looks like 70s only, I’ll take it as long as it’s sunny. 

Not inland. 80’s Thursday - Sunday .. Possibly Monday depending on Fropa timing . I bet BDL and HFD and CEF hit 80+ at least 3 days. Even today they’ll be 73-75

49 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Not inland. 80’s Thursday - Sunday .. Possibly Monday depending on Fropa timing . I bet BDL and HFD and CEF hit 80+ at least 3 days. Even today they’ll be 73-75

Ya not as good for here though too close to water probably stuck in 70s.  But could have been 90s inland and 80s down here the summer wave has definitely been tempered. 

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Your really close actually.  Looks like Shelton/Derby is in plant hardiness zone 7a. 

METRONYCUSDAZoneMap1.jpg

I’m 6a/6b while nyc is 7b.. and the elevation up here makes a big difference. But ya just a few miles away it’s 7a in the lower elevations of southern new haven county which are much different than here.  Nyc is just another animal with the urban heat effect.

13 hours ago, kdxken said:

A 2019 study found that in the preceding nine years the global average wind speed increased nearly 6 percent, from 7.0 to 7.4 mph. Anecdotal observations in Maine support the premise that we’re experiencing more breezy and gusty conditions.

I don't have a problem with those sort of findings - in fact, they don't surprise me, really.  

I've carried on with the mantra for years re the personally observed faster-than-normal troposphere - particularly during the cold season/book-ends of the cold seasons.   If not in the 'appeal', outright presentation of the base-line atmospheric behavior,' now spanning 10 years... has biased fast.  

It's not like there is a lack of suggestive/empirical evidence.  Albeit indirect, the "propensity" ( propulsion - see what I did there ..heh), for commercial airlines to set air-land-relative speed records on flights moving W to E across the oceanic basins, being an example of this.  Witnessing S/Ws arrive over Washington/Oregon, stem wind a cyclone over PA, barely giving it enough time to secondary before the entire busted ravioli smears off the chart leaving Maine - all in a mere 72 to 84 hours.  It may all be anecdotal, but given to the backing observations being real ... it's powerful circumstantial evidence. The atmosphere has sped up.

Seldom do we see a relaxed gradient middle winter, anyway.  However, in recent (decade/ 'since 2000'), this appears surplussed more at times..  Progressive S/W wave translations through a field that in its self has trouble finding stable R-wave structures before they are forced to modulate.  Storms with more rapid cyclogenesis, having briefer residence in any one location.  Storms cut-off, the most intense ones.. they may move slowly.  I have not seen a cyclone really "stall" in years. Subtler fuzzy metric.

The events in the atmosphere are ultimately conveyed along by the vagaries of the wind; eventually ...any hurrying in doing so might realize in the surface as well? 

Now ...there's still a ginormous mathematical/physical gap that join the observation of a faster than normal westerlies, between the 700 and 300 mb levels, with the unrelenting butt bang NE "trade wind" hosing New England...  But just from an educated conjectural view point, the ends prooobably geo-physically meet there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Got down to 32.0 here last night....nice radiation night.

Probably the last night at freezing.

I'm inclined to think so as well.    It seems with the sun finally unabated the rest of the week, we'll stow enough day time energy to out last the shorter nights - plus the llv fresh arctic fart machine is slowly winding down. 

But the 'radiation battery' is fully charging without that high clouds.  Such that a clear night will bleed down 'the charge' but because there is so much quota going in, and the nights are shorter, it's harder for decoupled layers to really crater.  At the other end of this week.. we're not seeing synoptics capable of offsetting the 'black body radiation' ... BTU/HR =  stephan B constant, times a bunch of other hieroglyphics...

I think the last couple of days 'cheated' to get there... We had this miasma of high clouds not enough to cap radiation and elevate temps at night, but sure as shit enough to dim the sun.   Add in daily diet of parched dry air sourcing out of that weird high pressure, ..it just was a perfect tulip wilter. 

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Not a lot of moisture on the horizon.

535456471_Screenshot(270).thumb.png.2509316a60de4f9d51a122dd31cdbf43.png

Lol, depends what one means by 'horizon'  ...

if by distinction of time, that may be so.  But by distinction of geography and space, it looks wet on the N-W-S horizons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It's starting to get real 

image.thumb.png.a1bb557dc6ebd0de4c57d5a1d910d603.png

mm ... we're also noticing that over the course-work of your posting this CAPE product ... the west [frontage] is outpacing the eastern advance. 

If that tendency continues... it times out such that we'll end up celebrating 2 hrs of substantive CAPE [probably] limited to CT granted, but by then perhaps too brief to matter.  Ultimately ... the entire effort destined to end up like a climate ass waxing  - ...thanks for playing the psychosis for convection in New England mind f* game.  How we enjoyed the journey -

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

mm ... we're also noticing that over the course-work of your posting this CAPE product ... the west [frontage] is outpacing the eastern advance. 

If that tendency continues...you'll end up celebrating 2 hrs of substantive CAPE [probably] limitied to CT granted, but ultimately ... the entire effort destined to end up like a climate ass waxing  - ...thanks for playing the psychosis for convection in New England mind f* game.  How we enjoyed the journey -

I'm hoping for an active pattern as we move into the end of May/early June. Geared up to go chasing this year and even into the West...although I've had reservations about going into the Plains. It's always been a goal to go storm chasing out in the Plains but given the downhill spiral the hobby has become I don't think it's worth it. You have people who think they're above the law and blowing stop signs, red lights, making illegal turns - virtually making their own rules. Last thing I need is to get destroyed by some idiot. 

As much as it sucks chasing around the Northeast my friend and I don't mind it. Technically though I guess you could say we don't "chase". We aren't driving around trying to get to storms. Typically we'll pick a location where everything looks favorable and go to that spot...and once initiation happens we'll make some movement but our goal is to get to an open lot or field and good 30-45 minutes before the storms hit and enjoy it that way. Not racing 90 mph to catch storms. 

34 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm hoping for an active pattern as we move into the end of May/early June. Geared up to go chasing this year and even into the West...although I've had reservations about going into the Plains. It's always been a goal to go storm chasing out in the Plains but given the downhill spiral the hobby has become I don't think it's worth it. You have people who think they're above the law and blowing stop signs, red lights, making illegal turns - virtually making their own rules. Last thing I need is to get destroyed by some idiot. 

As much as it sucks chasing around the Northeast my friend and I don't mind it. Technically though I guess you could say we don't "chase". We aren't driving around trying to get to storms. Typically we'll pick a location where everything looks favorable and go to that spot...and once initiation happens we'll make some movement but our goal is to get to an open lot or field and good 30-45 minutes before the storms hit and enjoy it that way. Not racing 90 mph to catch storms. 

Other than our region of the planet just having a static, significant handicap given any 'set up' ...always,  the other obvious issue when synoptically overcoming limitations then is our topographic layout.  

One can't really see more than a few short miles in any direction, before bucolic tree lines, nestled betwixt hills, obscure CB bases entirely.  Comparsing the same effort in OK, KS, IA ..TX...even IL/IN/MI/OH...etc, you can see the full profiles some 50 miles away. 

Around here?  I've seen mid level turrets that look suspiciously rotated... Got all lubed up with excitement and weirnered my way over the hills through densely wooded roads  10 or 15 minutes, climbing elevation toward known vantage places ... finally busting out onto a ridge line, only to same-old-same-old see that the organized inflow has no hope of extension/touching down because the MESO won't penetrate the serrated Ekman boundary layer around here.  I mean the inflow channels can't organized below 2,000 kt. 

Of course they do from rare time to time... lol, just as Great Barrington or Worcester or Monson ...etc... But by an large, we have bottom third of CB disruption - in the world of convection, we are the wheelchair crowd. 

We've had the following conversation before but ...you're young bro.  Get out while you are young enough to adapt to life changes easier/less overhead.  You start getting seriously lade and it's over - usually... But you can relo with a new/young Met degree out there and start working adjunct to the "severe weather industry" and you gotta think with a minimal creativity you can find/access those opportunities, because I can assure you... of all geographical areas of this world, that region of the country DEFINITELY has an a-to zinc industry aspect, from information all the way to building science, which is an immense spectrum. 

Not sure what your reason for staying is... I'm sure you have it.  Not intending to get into that/counsel on the matter... Just sayn'...  F, man go to grad school out there.