• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Spring 2022

18Z HRRR with a great graphic portrayal of the possibility for sun induced/rounding energy supported  popcorn rain and snow showers starting to fire Saturday afternoon as the base of the trough passes WAY to our south.   Included 10-1 accums as of 2PM Saturday.  Probably well over b lown but a graphic of where it could lay some. 

image.thumb.png.496ecadb2c3b7f2ad07baeae77effd28.png

image.thumb.png.ae2ad606ac092c788e83476ec86d04e7.png

image.thumb.png.9e0912f00bf08ad50a13ed3ae6f7d59b.png

• Like 1

Of course I missed it because I had to work, but the Reading and Northern's newly refurbished steam engine made a trip to Tamaqua as part of the testing and break in process. Here's a pic my daughter got of it.

Oh, and we got 1.39" today and 2.13" since yesterday. As I type this I just heard a rumble of thunder.

Resized_20220407_132526.jpeg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

18Z HRRR with a great graphic portrayal of the possibility for sun induced/rounding energy supported  popcorn rain and snow showers starting to fire Saturday afternoon as the base of the trough passes WAY to our south.   Included 10-1 accums as of 2PM Saturday.  Probably well over b lown but a graphic of where it could lay some. 

image.thumb.png.496ecadb2c3b7f2ad07baeae77effd28.png

image.thumb.png.ae2ad606ac092c788e83476ec86d04e7.png

image.thumb.png.9e0912f00bf08ad50a13ed3ae6f7d59b.png

Does Myra get snow?

20 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

@Bubbler86 - update from Elliott at MU tonight...kudos to you, you've been all over this for days:

Smaller-scale disturbances rotating around the base of the trough will interact w/a pocket of cold air aloft to produce another brisk, chilly & unsettled weekend in the mid-Atlantic. In fact, graupel or snowflakes may yet again mix in w/scattered showers across the region.

I expect a virtual "rinse and repeat" of this sequence on both Saturday and Sunday, except that highs will only be in the low-to-mid 50s Saturday and around 50 on Sunday. The core of the coldest air will settle over the mid-Atlantic from Saturday evening through Sunday afternoon, so don't be surprised to see some graupel or wet snowflakes mix in with the rain showers. We've already seen this happen a few times under similar conditions during the past 2 weeks, so there's plenty of reason to believe it will happen again this weekend. When disturbances combine with temperatures that rapidly decrease with increasing height above the ground, graupel (or "soft hail") is actually quite common. Graupel is simply a form of precipitation that occurs when supercooled water droplets accumulate and freeze on falling snowflakes. Add in gusty, west-to-northwesterly winds of 10-20 mph on Saturday and 20-30 mph on Sunday, and we'll have the "full course meal" of miserable weather conditions for the entire weekend (yet again ☹️). Low temperatures on Saturday night will drop into the 30s, and I'm growing more concerned about a widespread frost or freeze early Monday morning. The large-scale trough will gradually lift into northern New England and the Canadian Maritimes Sunday night into Monday, allowing an area of high pressure to build into the central Appalachians and southern mid-Atlantic region. Clearing skies and diminishing winds will create the ideal setting for radiational cooling Sunday night -- hence my concern for lows around freezing (32 degrees F) Monday morning.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greensnow said:
3-Day Total of 2.9" with 2.2" yesterday. Ready for 75 and sunny!

Yes!!!

1 hour ago, mahantango#1 said:

1.70 for the entire event here. The creek reflects that here that east and north east of here had more rain the creek came up 2 feet. this gauge is approx.2 mi. west of me.  https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01555500

Yeah, was surprised most streams were running just above normal. Over my way everything is near bankfull. 

3 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Low of 38 here with a 3-day rain total of 1.59”. I think @Itstrainingtime crushed me yet again. 

Nearly .75" more than you - not sure if you had a storm during the early to mid afternoon hours yesterday, but I picked up over a half inch of rain between 1pm and 2pm. If you missed out on that storm...right there's a big part of your deficit. 

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Nearly .75" more than you - not sure if you had a storm during the early to mid afternoon hours yesterday, but I picked up over a half inch of rain between 1pm and 2pm. If you missed out on that storm...right there's a big part of your deficit. 

Your grass is going to need two mowings next week!   I jsut looked at mine and its not going to need a cut this week.  Maybe next week.  Definitely greened up a bit. 

18 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Your grass is going to need two mowings next week!   I jsut looked at mine and its not going to need a cut this week.  Maybe next week.  Definitely greened up a bit. 

I'm mowing later this afternoon weather permitting. #6 - only the first of which was me weening out over having it super short for impending snowfall. :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm mowing later this afternoon weather permitting. #6 - only the first of which was me weening out over having it super short for impending snowfall. :) 

That is pretty amazing that a simple hour away the grass is growing that quickly in early April.   I would blame it on my well know grass issues but no one here is mowing.  We are almost half way through Spring and have yet to experience it on ground truth.