Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring/Summer 2022 Complaint/Banter Hangout

IWXwx

3 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Seems to be a less humid time period with those big temperature swings.

Yes, looks much drier and it appears there was a drought that summer. Looks like a lot of places had diurnal ranges near or even in excess of 30F. The climate seems much too humid and wet to achieve that today. 1988 was somewhat similar, but much hotter in general.

7 hours ago, frostfern said:

I was woken up by some fairly close lighting strikes around 3:00 AM last night.  I think it was thundering for a full hour but somehow only 0.22" fell.  I don't know what happened.  Screw zoned.

0.32" here.  I think it was a general fairly light rain over most of the area.  I didn't see or hear of any high totals from Wednesday night's rain in this part of the state.

Weather couldn’t be anymore perfect right now, 80 with 44% humidity. 

Kicked off Father’s Day weekend with some smash burgers off the blackstone , topped with Vidalia onion, garden tomato, sweet pickles and mustard. Cooked the pops dinner and we shared some IPAs.

Happy Father’s Day to all those fathers out there, and especially @Brian D this has to be tough for you. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chambana said:

Weather couldn’t be anymore perfect right now, 80 with 44% humidity. 

Kicked off Father’s Day weekend with some smash burgers off the blackstone , topped with Vidalia onion, garden tomato, sweet pickles and mustard. Cooked the pops dinner and we shared some IPAs.

Happy Father’s Day to all those fathers out there, and especially @Brian D this has to be tough for you. 

Thank you, and yes, VERY!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

lucky 4 the hp supercell and a couple other minor events here

At least may was kinda wet here.  Parts of Illinois are worse.  The short term is really getting dry here though, and the lake shadow messes with convective rain a lot this time of year.  :(

1 hour ago, frostfern said:

At least may was kinda wet here.  Parts of Illinois are worse.  The short term is really getting dry here though, and the lake shadow messes with convective rain a lot this time of year.  :(

The lake helps in the winter and hurts in the summer.  Not something most people would think about until the live it for a few years.  The lake shadow is real.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Good God.  Actually spits out 110 in the western sub.

Would be right in time for my birthday.  I was born during big heat so I think it was destiny for me to like it.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The end of that 18z GFS is absolutely nuts.  There are areas that are 110+ at 18z on 7/23, which wouldn't even be peak heating.  

600DM ridge centered near STL.

It's what dreams are made of.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

600DM ridge centered near STL.

It's what dreams are made of.

Sometimes we see ridges like that but the 850 mb temps are sort of tame or mixing isn't that good.  But in this case the 850s are torching with excellent mixing.  All fantasy land of course.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Sometimes we see ridges like that but the 850 mb temps are sort of tame or mixing isn't that good.  But in this case the 850s are torching with excellent mixing.  All fantasy land of course.

850s been torching all year, that's why we've seen so many underachieving severe threats...or so I'm told.

3 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

850s been torching all year, that's why we've seen so many underachieving severe threats...or so I'm told.

Most summer severe events are associated with heat somewhere nearby.  You just have to be on the perimeter.  If the perimeter of the heat dome is up in Canada that's where the severe is.  Troughing is the least conducive, at least north of the OV.  If you aren't right next to the GOM (aka spring dixie outbreaks), you can't really built up enough CAPE without a cap to the south or west.

As far as the fantasy range heat & 600dm ridge, the Ventusky app is showing widespread highs of 115°F to 120°F across the Central/Southern Plains which would shatter any all-time highs.

What would make that even more impressive if it happened is that the grounds won't be all that dry (except across Texas).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

12z OP GFS took it to the next level.

Just beat me to it.  Didn't get a chance to see the 12z GFS until now, and holy freakin cow.  Even more impressive than the incredibly hot 18z run from yesterday.  I actually can't recall ever seeing anything like that modeled in this subforum before, with verbatim highs of 115-120 in parts of the region.  2012 had some pretty crazy model runs, but not quite to that extreme.

6 minutes ago, Powerball said:

12z GFS was at least a step back from the insane 06z GFS. That was a whole 'nother level.

The 6z run didn't seem as impressive in the Lakes/OV, but I flipped through it quickly so maybe I missed something.