Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 16-17th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

32 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Seems like 4-6" is the final range for most of Metro Detroit, which is on the lower half of the forecast range.

I got roughly 6 in my back yard this event was way more enjoyable. Loved the wind aspect and the awesome change over. Been quite sometime since I seen sleet like that

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

I got roughly 6 in my back yard this event was way more enjoyable. Loved the wind aspect and the awesome change over. Been quite sometime since I seen sleet like that

I only got a little sleet right at the start but it was mainly snow IMBY.  The other storm was much more cake on all the trees which was awesome.  This one was great because we didn't have several crazy 24-30"+ model runs proceeding the storm. :lol:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blizzardof96 said:

Looks like ~3" here in kingston with a glaze of ice underneath. YYZ reporting a 6" storm total although I suspect many parts of the city are above that. Considerable blowing and drifting as well.

Haha...I just tweeted to Ross Hull that the METAR reports which a lot of people use to convey storm totals at YYZ usually are low by a few cms of the actual observed amount you'll see published on EC's website tomorrow.  I don't exactly know why that is (maybe the hourly obs are rounded down?  So, 2.8cm is reported as 2cm  Just a guess).  I think the "official" number will be a bit higher at YYZ.

3 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Haha...I just tweeted to Ross Hull that the METAR reports which a lot of people use to convey storm totals at YYZ usually are low by a few cms of the actual observed amount you'll see published on EC's website tomorrow.  I don't exactly know why that is (maybe the hourly obs are rounded down?  So, 2.8cm is reported as 2cm  Just a guess).  I think the "official" number will be a bit higher at YYZ.

Interesting. I think you're right. Looking at the YYZ daily data they have 13.4cm recorded on Feb 17th. Good chance that YYZ recorded more than 1.6cm past midnight.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Really needed a death band to get those higher #s to materialize.  Still, low-end warning criteria snow after  buckets of rain ain't bad.

I agree. The best rates were between 12-2am. Too bad it didn't last. But nice storm nonetheless.

A few cm tonight with that clipper. Sounding's look impressive, wouldn't be surprised to see a rumble or two locally. Whiteouts possible with winds near 60 km/hr. 

24 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

SnowfallMap2.png

Very accurate map indeed.  The little blue speck in far Northwest Indiana covers me, while it clearly puts everything south of say, Ridge Road over four inches.  I work in Hammond, just north of 169th street, and there's a bit more snow here than at my house. The house is only three miles north of my workplace.  Our delivery drivers said that yesterday there was noticeably more snow in Cedar Lake than Highland. We pulled all of our drivers off the streets that worked south of IN 231 yesterday at 1PM.  

Much has been made about the poor GFS performance with it consistently being too far north (not to mention super inflated totals) but it actually overcorrected south toward the end with the placement of the main band.  Here's the 00z Feb 17 run, just hours before the snow started.

snku-024h-us-mw.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Much has been made about the poor GFS performance with it consistently being too far north (not to mention super inflated totals) but it actually overcorrected south toward the end with the placement of the main band.  Here's the 00z Feb 17 run, just hours before the snow started.

snku-024h-us-mw.png

11" in Fort Wayne ? I think they got about 3" lol.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Powerball said:

Seems like 4-6" is the final range for most of Metro Detroit, which is on the lower half of the forecast range and less than what the models yesterday morning were predicting.

I'd say 5-7" was the range for most in the metro area. Less north and west. Really an excellent forecast by DTX. The few 4" reports seem out of place and don't make sense based on other reports. You remember how DTX always includes the lowest reports that don't jive but but not the highest reports (several 8" reports via social media) :lol:. I notice other nws include all reports. 

Finished with 6.8" in Wyandotte, 6.6" DTW.  From a storm perspective no complaints here. Both big storms this month hit the metro area hardest (in SE MI). This storm was heart of metro area, last storm was DTW-south.

Kohls looks tiny with those piles lol.

FB_IMG_1645232978750.thumb.jpg.cca22881bdd5f3dfd49e2802fdf2137c.jpg

FB_IMG_1645232982432.thumb.jpg.36092e845180775015efdb5684607372.jpg

FB_IMG_1645232986004.thumb.jpg.23dec10b679f1f7ffb42032a75512d96.jpg 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

13 hours ago, Powerball said:

Seems like 4-6" is the final range for most of Metro Detroit, which is on the lower half of the forecast range and less than what the models yesterday morning were predicting.

41 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I'd say 5-7" was the range for most in the metro area. Less north and west. Really an excellent forecast by DTX. The few 4" reports seem out of place and don't make sense based on other reports. You remember how DTX always includes the lowest reports that don't jive but but not the highest reports (several 8" reports via social media) :lol:. I notice other nws include all reports. 

Finished with 6.8" in Wyandotte, 6.6" DTW.  From a storm perspective no complaints here. Both big storms this month hit the metro area hardest (in SE MI). This storm was heart of metro area, last storm was DTW-south.

FB_IMG_1645232978750.thumb.jpg.cca22881bdd5f3dfd49e2802fdf2137c.jpg

FB_IMG_1645232982432.thumb.jpg.36092e845180775015efdb5684607372.jpg

FB_IMG_1645232986004.thumb.jpg.23dec10b679f1f7ffb42032a75512d96.jpg 

While you "can't believe low reports around Detroit metro", I can tell you it's true because I'm looking at it here! Seem to have found the ultimate screw-zone for this area. And here I always thought it was a toss-up between DTW and Macomb. 

2022-02-18 Wayne Cnty Snowstorm totals list.png

18 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

While you "can't believe low reports around Detroit metro", I can tell you it's true because I'm looking at it here! Seem to have found the ultimate screw-zone for this area. And here I always thought it was a toss-up between DTW and Macomb. 

I live in the southwest part of canton and avoided that dry slot to the northwest I definitely shoveled more then 3 inches :lol:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Wow sorry to hear. I know there was a time nw wayne was between banding but 3"? Does that actually sound legit in your yard? Screw zones always vary year to year, so don't get down on your area....this year it's clearly been you, but doesn't mean that will be the case next year. More often than not it is SE Macomb.

• Like 1