• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.

NJwx85

I think 12Z Friday which is I think 8 am is the key hour as the bulk of the remaining liquid falls between 12Z and 18Z (8 am and 2 pm). If the models that have the city flipping to ice close to that hour are right it will get real nasty. If it doesn't flip until significantly later it probably will be a more minor event. 

7 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

It was still a month of below normal temps and above normal snowfall for most of this forum. 

Well sure. Since none of us average a lot of snow, one big storm exceeds the average. The thing was 2 of 3 significant snowstorms hit exactly the same areas. And the 3rd hit SNJ. So it ended up being a month of big winners and big losers - with a sharp line of demarcation. I guess there was also a solid event for northern Sussex and Orange Counties - but that ended up as mostly slush further south.

2 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Well sure. Since none of us average a lot of snow, one big storm exceeds the average. The thing was 2 of 3 significant snowstorms hit exactly the same areas. And the 3rd hit SNJ. So it ended up being a month of big winners and big losers - with a sharp line of demarcation. I guess there was also a solid event for northern Sussex and Orange Counties - but that ended up as mostly slush further south.

It was still a decent winter month and pretty damn cold. I had snow cover for most of the month even though I am one of the few who actually had below normal snowfall. 

13 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

a good chunk of snow in the city is gone.

I was quite surprised to see that when I landed

Lots of melting today. With 1-2" of rain, foggy weather and 40s it'll all be gone. 

Note HRRR and 0z Nam trended warmer. All in all this will be a rain event with perhaps some mixed precip before it ends. 

You really have to be well N&W to see significant impacts.

When it snows, I go outside every chance I get. I'm not one of these people who enjoys it as modeled output on my screen or through my living room window. I like to actually experience it. This winter I've probably seen 10 or 12 inches cumulative. I've had an inch or two of snowcover for a few weeks now. On paper, that doesn't sound too bad.

But the enjoyment level has been really low. The snow has come in about 5 minor events... mostly at night or with very light intensity. The actual opportunity to enjoy falling snow has been very limited. The biggest accumulation was soaked into a puddle of mashed potatoes before dawn. The 2nd biggest was a 3-hour burst that also occurred before dawn. I'm still waiting for something decent. It doesn't have to be a blizzard, just a solid snowstorm. I think it's actually been over a year now since the last significant event locally. There's still time to spread the wealth, but the window is closing. I don't want to have to wait another 10 months.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Lots of melting today. With 1-2" of rain, foggy weather and 40s it'll all be gone. 

Note HRRR and 0z Nam trended warmer. All in all this will be a rain event with perhaps some mixed precip before it ends. 

You really have to be well N&W to see significant impacts.

Hrrr still not quite within range ideally. 

9 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

It was still a decent winter month and pretty damn cold. I had snow cover for most of the month even though I am one of the few who actually had below normal snowfall. 

The snow to ice event set up your snowpack. South of Sussex Co. NJ it was mostly slush turned to a thin glacial crust. That still beats bare ground though. But overall I don't care for cold without snow.

32 minutes ago, eduggs said:

I think even Islip had more rain than snow (liquid) last month. Most everywhere else got much more rain than snow.

I mean this area averages around 4-5 inches liquid of precip each month (incl Jan) so in most winter months we would typically expect more rain than snow anyway unless it was pretty anomalously snowy month (like perhaps Islip).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

I mean this area averages around 4-5 inches liquid of precip each month (incl Jan) so in most winter months we would typically expect more rain than snow anyway unless it was pretty anomalously snowy month (like perhaps Islip).

Yup. Only in very snowy or perhaps dry months would we expect more snow than rain in NYC in January. I think the average is closer to 4, but it's true either way. I guess very snowy months would probably be about equal rain and snow on average, which makes sense. 

7 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

GFS not really backing down, got to admire if nothing else has persistent it's been.

The GFS has backed off very gradually for many cycles. Over time it has been increasing the rain and decreasing the snow and sleet. None of the individual runs looks like a big change, but taken together it has shifted from a potentially significant frozen event to rain ending as freezing rain.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, eduggs said:

The GFS has backed off very gradually for many cycles. Over time it has been increasing the rain and decreasing the snow and sleet. None of the individual runs looks like a big change, but taken together it has shifted from a potentially significant frozen event to rain ending as freezing rain.

The changeover seems to still be around the same time every run but it seems to have gotten drier in terms of qpf after the changeover so agree with you its becoming more liquid less frozen.   

• NJwx85 changed the title to February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.
  • IrishRob17 unpinned this topic