Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

29 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

06z GFS looks to be holding serve at 500mb at this stage of its run as compared to 0z

Gfs is slightly east of the 0z run. Be careful  with the euro. It has been doing this all winter. To see the eps like how they were were encouraging though. 

4 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Gefs is still way further east than the eps 

The one thing I can say about the 6z gfs is that it didn't bury alot of energy as it did on the 0z run.

12z runs will be fun

Goodnight 

Maybe this is the period where models back off only to bring it back the next day. 

Either way hopefully something works out because the pattern turns to crap right after and will stay that way most of Feb.

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Maybe this is the period where models back off only to bring it back the next day. 

Either way hopefully something works out because the pattern turns to crap right after and will stay that way most of Feb.

Not sure if it's going to be crap. It all depends where the MJO emerges to from the COD.

Nice to look at the 0z Euro last night but have to look at it with skepticism until other models get on board. If we’re dragging and leaving behind energy in the SW, hard to see how it’s a significant event for most of us, except maybe eastern Suffolk. But if we do have a good phase it can be a monster. That still has to be resolved. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

The differences between the Euro and GFS sum up this season so far. GFS is going with the seasonal pattern of a faster northern stream into the PAC NW. This causes the northern stream to shift the top end of the trough east leaving energy behind in the SW. The Euro says this is the best PNA amplification of the month and why not swing for the fences. So it weakens the northern stream enough for the energy in the southern to kick out fast for a sooner negative tilt. This results in a further west and deeper storm. The faster jet into the PAC NW on the GFS acts a a kicker.

Euro weaker jet into PAC NW

9B28DE9A-A16A-4B30-B776-614B0D901EFE.thumb.jpeg.58ad992c83dc603386aed8ec7f99a2f7.jpeg

GFS faster northern stream near the PAC NW acting as kicker

C5D65E5F-6AAE-4CB5-961B-601FF558B524.thumb.jpeg.7b3953dc2697a42e1a6265236faf9b3d.jpeg

Thanks for this.

The northern piece gives 1 to 3 in its own so it's looking pretty good for at least some flakes.

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

Thanks!

Not only closer but stronger than CMC and GFS (I guess all due to the energy left behind).

Yep. The key here is how much southern energy phases into our developing storm. Euro goes for all the marbles clearly. Some of those west members would change east of NYC over to rain. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

Thanks!

Not only closer but stronger than CMC and GFS (I guess all due to the energy left behind).

That seems to be the key for this at the moment. Would love to see other guidance come around to the euro idea more starting at 12z. But at least for now, the European guidance wants nothing to do with leaving it behind. We watch. 

• Thanks 1

I'm not hyping the Euro control so don't take it that way.  Should be treated as just another member.

06Z control continues very impressive and now has all of NJ in close to or just over 20" totals.

Individual eps members also have increased in the number with now 17 members with 12"+ for KMMU.  Showing a shift westward of higher totals.  Two members @ 24 - 25".

I like that Euro EPS is holding steady or even nudging west.  That is the only take away here.

Control is classic KU closing / capturing solution for NJ.  Longs ways to go...just sharing some information here.

Also, probabilities are rising as per a few posts back from another poster.  I've been watching those over the last 24 hours as well.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Rjay said:

We still kinda need a miracle.  The setup is so delicate. 

I agree 100 % with this statement made yesterday morning - also the key upper air disturbances that will help develop this coastal low are still far to the north and west - and we have to wait and see how the various guidance digests those as they move into range.........