• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 16-18th Major Synoptic Snowstorm- Observation Thread

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

The echoes have JUST shifted from moving south to north (anything from that direction is hell for Syracuse, it seems) and started moving slightly from the North and West. Immediately after that happened, we now have winter again with the best snowfall of this event so far.

Our turn now. That band pivoting from west to east is the start. Let’s go!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Snow picking up nicely in Altmar. I always expected the backside/lake effect snows to be the main show up this way. 

Yeah same here, I knew the Nam wasn't wrong, that model always verifies when it's warmer than other guidance lol

Lake effect it self will miss to the south but we should be in wrap around for most of the day with improving ratios..

• Like 2

Just now, wolfie09 said:

Yeah same here, I knew the Nam wasn't wrong, that model always verifies when it's warmer than other guidance lol

Lake effect it self will miss to the south but we should be in wrap around for most of the day with improving ratios..

So true...and I still haven't embraced that fact. I hope every time that it happens that it will be wrong...but nope. You stuck to your guns about the Nam being right. Good call.

• Thanks 1

Here in SE Monroe County, I heard occasional sleet overnight, but probably mixed with snow at worst. Have about 9-10" right now, mostly powder, only a thin layer of sleet towards the bottom.

Mostly light between 5-9 am, but now moderate and looking like that will persist.

NWS has most of the south shore getting an additional 6" through tomorrow and that would be a pretty good showing overall.

Only disappointment is being on the fringe of mix/slot for the early morning. Congrats, Buffalo/Niagara/Toronto. Regrets, Syracuse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

There’s a line of snow from Sodus to Lyons to Geneva moving west to east. That appears to represent the wind shift line. If it holds together all of us in the Syracuse area should see a burst of snow in the next hour.  

Actually the wind shift line is a bit further east, as I've been in it for the past half hour.

4 minutes ago, Flying MXZ said:

This is amazing to me.  The models showed something like this, but for BGM to here to stay all snow and you to go to freezing rain for awhile is crazy.

Yeah the only thing I can think to do is blame Matt, warm pocket developed right over syracuse and his radius was to great to fight off..

• Haha 5

This weakening deformation zone will then move east late this
afternoon and evening, weakening with eastern extent.

The heaviest snowfall rates are tapering off this late morning,
and will be followed by moderate rates lasting through early
afternoon, then lighter snow mid afternoon through this evening.