Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Most of mine is gone already.  It was not the kind of snow that resists sun. 

Whatever I actually received...has already obliterated. Just a few patches left in shady areas here. Definitely a "March" type snow by all accounts. 

For my records, I'm going to record 3". That's lower than everyone reported around me, and lower than what radar would suggest that I had. I was under the really impressive band for a couple of hours overnight. But I'd rather go low than exaggerate high. Going with a seasonal total of 13.1" here. (I know that going in I was at 10.1") 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Ground temp must have warmed up a good bit this past week - snow really melted quickly despite temps at or below freezing. 

It's probably more the result of a type of snowfall you guys are less familiar with in those parts. High-ratio Fluff gets obliterated, especially in February sunshine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

Ok, then warm ground it is. But also, the February sun burns right through the clouds and can easily melt snowfall that hasn't been established and frozen over. I know "sun angle" is taboo talk though. Lol

We are running out of months where saying the <month here> sun is good news.  If it snows in October, the October sun gets it, if it snows in February, the February sun gets it.  LOL.  We are turning into Florida North! 

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We are running out of months where saying the <month here> sun is good news.  If it snows in October, the October sun gets it, if it snows in February, the February sun gets it.  LOL.  We are turning into Florida North! 

Yup! December and January are best for not having the sun obliterate your snowfall. But with winters starting so late, January is like the only time to try and build a pack. Up here, it's been an issue since our winter-recreation industry relies on pack building....which really needs to start in December.

25 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Ground temp must have warmed up a good bit this past week - snow really melted quickly despite temps at or below freezing. 

Yea ground could be part of it to a degree. I do think the combo of the solar and the LSV temps (a degree or two either side of freezing this afternoon) is the main culprit with the light fluffy snow. Guess we can call it a combo of all three. If temps were about 5-10 degrees colder I don’t think the snow would be disappearing as easy. Solar is getting into that part of February where it becomes a good bit more noticeable going into the second half of the month but it’s not going to do much to an established pack if temps are cold. 

28 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It'll be fun to watch what happens later on. 

I hope so, missing these events going east is getting old.. although I did overachieve with my T last night haha. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yup! December and January are best for not having the sun obliterate your snowfall. But with winters starting so late, January is like the only time to try and build a pack. Up here, it's been an issue since our winter-recreation industry relies on pack building....which really needs to start in December.

Here comes a 'When I was growing up, I walked up hill both ways" story....but my memories of the 70's and 80's make February seem like more "dead of winter cold" especially the first half of the month.  No doubt March is winter over time as to average weather.  The Sun is a beast but hate when the sun takes away 3" of snow, in a matter of hours, when the temp is below freezing prior to Valentines day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

What were you expecting? Seems like most in our area got or exceeded what was predicted, and that was even more than what it looked like we would get back on Thursday.

I mean, if you were expecting 8" I could see the disappointment, but...

I’m expecting a normal winter 

1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

Yea ground could be part of it to a degree. I do think the combo of the solar and the LSV temps (a degree or two either side of freezing this afternoon) is the main culprit with the light fluffy snow. Guess we can call it a combo of all three. If temps were about 5-10 degrees colder I don’t think the snow would be disappearing as easy. Solar is getting into that part of February where it becomes a good bit more noticeable going into the second half of the month but it’s not going to do much to an established pack if temps are cold. 

I hope so, missing these events going east is getting old.. although I did overachieve with my T last night haha. 

we actually have enough to take sleds out if I wanted to.  Still about 3" otg at my house.  Will get a pic cause some probably think I hit a tree and hurt my head on snowmobile this weekend.

Yeah this pattern has sucked, but all of the fishies that love snow must be happier than a clam.  

Looks like a boring couple weeks comin up to kill the snow pack, even up north.  still a stout 12" on the ground at the cabin.  It is so dense that we saw the deer walking on TOP and not sinkking through.  That'll be there for a while.

Glad for those who got some white stuff today.

2 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Ok, then warm ground it is. But also, the February sun burns right through the clouds and can easily melt snowfall that hasn't been established and frozen over. I know "sun angle" is taboo talk though. Lol

Sun angle is never wrong to talk with me about. I play it up all the time in here, because there are many scenarios when it's underrated. (there's also time when it's overrated as well) 

• Like 1