Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Plenty of time but I call 12/30 midway through the second quarter. Halftime is 1/15.   I am in the "March is not so great" group. 

Realistically that’s probably accurate, regardless of what happened in March of 1993 or 2018. Even so, if I’m going to waste a month or DJF, I’d almost certainly choose December, other than the fact that there’s no guarantee only one month gets wasted.

15 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

I talked about this a day or two ago.  After Saturday night's light event (0.14") I'm now up to 0.27" M-T-D.  Driest Dec I've ever witnessed was back in 1989 with 0.63".

It’s definitely been a dry period.  Going back to November 12 (38 days and counting), I’ve only recorded 0.66” of precip.   

0.33” for December 

2 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Covid. Just assume everybody has it.

That’s a good mindset.   I pulled up Worth on the map.  Looks like a really rural town.  On Zillow, there’s some decent property in the Redfield area but the accessibility in the winter might be a challenge.  Many of the roads double as snow mobile trails.    What’s a town that averages 200” and has a Starbucks and Chic-fil-A.   

2 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

That’s a good mindset.   I pulled up Worth on the map.  Looks like a really rural town.  On Zillow, there’s some decent property in the Redfield area but the accessibility in the winter might be a challenge.  Many of the roads double as snow mobile trails.    What’s a town that averages 200” and has a Starbucks and Chic-fil-A.   

Doesn't exist...hah. The Tug is all rural. The closest option would be Fulton, a city that gets about 170 inches and is about 20 minutes away from all those chains in the north burbs of Syracuse. It's not the nicest city around though...but that's par for the course in Upstate New York. I personally love Camden, NY, which is right on the southern edge of the Tug and is 20 minutes from Rome, NY. Worth really isn't that far away from Watertown, which has the normal every-day commodities. But it would be a drive during the bad weather days.

7 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Covid. Just blame everything on it.

Fulton def a little more pricey.  I’m looking at a 10 acre island lot now off the Oswego River.   249k.  

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Oswego-Riv-1-Fulton-NY-13069/2070759926_zpid/

You’d have to build a helipad to evacuate when the flood hits.  

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Fulton def a little more pricey.  I’m looking at a 10 acre island lot now off the Oswego River.   249k.  

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Oswego-Riv-1-Fulton-NY-13069/2070759926_zpid/

Land is expensive here...to buy, and with taxes. The land outside of Syracuse, especially now, has risen greatly in price, along with all real estate. Southern Oswego County is becoming fair game for all the wealthier of the Syracuse metro. area (and Long Islanders) who want land but can still be super close to all the suburban sprawl/stores of Cicero/Clay/Liverpool in Northern Onondaga county.

31 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Land is expensive here...to buy, and with taxes. The land outside of Syracuse, especially now, has risen greatly in price, along with all real estate. Southern Oswego County is becoming fair game for all the wealthier of the Syracuse metro. area (and Long Islanders) who want land but can still be super close to all the suburban sprawl/stores of Cicero/Clay/Liverpool in Northern Onondaga county.

I'd throw Old Forge into the fray as they have lakes and plenty of summer activities to draw folks/industries.  You also have lake influence albeit further east.  Outside of that, yea northern NY is desolate and somewhat struggling.  I have a couple snowmobile buddies that had cabins or looked to purchase, but taxes were the end of it of them keeping or looking to purchase.  Man is it a beautiful area though.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I'd throw Old Forge into the fray as they have lakes and plenty of summer activities to draw folks/industries.  You also have lake influence albeit further east.  Outside of that, yea northern NY is desolate and somewhat struggling.  I have a couple snowmobile buddies that had cabins or looked to purchase, but taxes were the end of it of them keeping or looking to purchase.  Man is it a beautiful area though.  

Avoiding getting into it too much...but the politics of urban Albany and NYC do not work the same for those in rural NY. The rural areas are depressed and dying. The recent winters are also killing the main economy of the Tug: Winter Sports.

Anyways, Upstate New York is beautiful. You have a great point about Old Forge. They are also in a great location for synoptic systems...and the Fall Foliage is fantastic!

39 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Avoiding getting into it too much...but the politics of urban Albany and NYC do not work the same for those in rural NY. The rural areas are depressed and dying. The recent winters are also killing the main economy of the Tug: Winter Sports.

Anyways, Upstate New York is beautiful. You have a great point about Old Forge. They are also in a great location for synoptic systems...and the Fall Foliage is fantastic!

Yeah i know how they are and have been struggling up there and I agree w/ your statement..  Sad for sure.  Hoping the next couple weeks helps to get them some business.  Needs to start soon as I know the holiday week is a big part of their winter business. 

Still have a bud in Cicero and he drives all the way down to PA to work and goes home on some weekends.  Sad.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah i know how they are and have been struggling up there and I agree w/ your statement..  Sad for sure.  Hoping the next couple weeks helps to get them some business.  Needs to start soon as I know the holiday week is a big part of their winter business. 

Still have a bud in Cicero and he drives all the way down to PA to work and goes home on some weekends.  Sad.

Wow, what is his reasoning for staying in Cicero? It's cheaper to live in PA. I am assuming he has family up here?

37 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Wow, what is his reasoning for staying in Cicero? It's cheaper to live in PA. I am assuming he has family up here?

It’s a rather unique situation but yes he has a kid up there. His work home base is Lanco but they work all over northeast corridor.  Assuming he makes rather decent coin  

• Like 1