• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Pattern Change Vs Tughill Curse?

Buffalo and 1 mile in each direction (but north) looks to be the only game in town. You guys better eat it up because long range looks pretty iffy again. 
I should quit my bitching as we got another 1/2” last night off the lake for a total of 4” for the event. Right in line with the 3k amongst others that were lower end. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Buffalo and 1 mile in each direction (but north) looks to be the only game in town. You guys better eat it up because long range looks pretty iffy again. 
I should quit my bitching as we got another 1/2” last night off the lake for a total of 4” for the event. Right in line with the 3k amongst others that were lower end. 

To be fair it’s about 5 miles north but the very heaviest accumulation will be airport or just south to Lancaster, Depew, Blasdell, Hamburg…I think the north areas are between 6-18” (N-S) with 24”+ in the areas I identified. 

So Mike Cejka (local Met WIVB channel 4 Buffalo)is stating the metro is going to get a quick hit from the lake effect…not 1 model is showing this with the exception of their in-house garbage model…every year they have a terrible south bias to their model and every year it’s much further north than it states…terrible…

Since the GFS was on its and not budging...like I said last night if a model is stubborn and doesn't "fall in line" the others seem to follow suit...especially these days when synoptic snows of over an inch DON'T exist in CNY. Best to be skeptical of anything showing a snowstorm hitting. The overall pattern is just garbage. Reshuffle please.

1 minute ago, Thinksnow18 said:

So Mike Cejka (local Met WIVB channel 4 Buffalo)is stating the metro is going to get a quick hit from the lake effect…not 1 model is showing this with the exception of their in-house garbage model…every year they have a terrible south bias to their model and every year it’s much further north than it states…terrible…

To be fair the GFS and Rgem are the only ones that show the band up in the metro for a sustained period of time. I think it’s still too far out to be confident of anything right now. Another 24 hours from now we should have a better picture but I could see BUF getting 3” or 30” as it stands right now so still lots to figure out and we have the time to do it. Don’t think BUF pulls a watch until tomorrow morning after tonight’s model runs. Still 48-60 hours from the event start. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

To be fair the GFS and Rgem are the only ones that show the band up in the metro for a sustained period of time. I think it’s still too far out to be confident of anything right now. Another 24 hours from now we should have a better picture but I could see BUF getting 3” or 30” as it stands right now so still lots to figure out and we have the time to do it. Don’t think BUF pulls a watch until tomorrow morning after tonight’s model runs. Still 48-60 hours from the event start. 

And the euro which is way off and correcting towards the GFS is what both 2 and 4 are showing…so they’re riding the euro right off a cliff. 

2 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Atleast we got lake effect. Imagine the forum if we had no great lakes. Would be non existing. Gotta say western ny is due for some extreme weather. Been several years. 

Lake effect? Syracuse missed out on the band I got in November...total for the year there is below 14 inches. Those lakes have done almost nothing for us this winter...or last...It's just been a garbage trio of winters. Lake effect only works when we actually have cold air...and SOME moisture.

2 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Lake effect? Syracuse missed out on the band I got in November...total for the year there is below 14 inches. Those lakes have done almost nothing for us this winter...or last...It's just been a garbage trio of winters. Lake effect only works when we actually have cold air...and SOME moisture.

Yeah, without cold air the lakes are useless except in winter when I watch those beautiful sunsets over the lake. 

• Like 1

Just now, Thinksnow18 said:

His forecast was for the band in Thursday at 2pm over southern Erie and Northern Chautauqua…remarkably different from the NWS forecast…and the icing on it he said the band at its heaviest MIGHT reach up to an inch per hour…WTF

Its too early for these calls the high res isn't even in range yet. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, wolfie09 said:

I'm feeling meltdowns coming lol Gonna need to make that LES thread soon haha

This is my "baseline melting".... just general frustration. It won't be the level of others from other subforums who start personal attacks on other posters because of their snow weenie frustrations...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

His forecast was for the band in Thursday at 2pm over southern Erie and Northern Chautauqua…remarkably different from the NWS forecast…and the icing on it he said the band at its heaviest MIGHT reach up to an inch per hour…WTF

You still haven't learned broadcast meteorologists are terrible? 

• Haha 1

This is obviously before the 12z runs..

Kbgm

The Canadian and Euro
are more in step with each other, turning the trough negative
over the Ohio River Valley and developing a low off the coast
of New Jersey, while the GFS begins to tilt off the Mid-
Atlantic coast and does not get the low going until far off the
coast. This far out, deterministic guidance can be a bit wishy
washy and big run to run changes are not out of the question.
The consistency over the last few runs is good but the fact the
major models are not close yet introduces uncertainty in the
forecast of this storm. Looking at ensemble guidance for this
storm, the Euro and Canadian continue to show signals for a
shovelable amount of snow Friday into Saturday. GFS ensembles
break from the deterministic guidance and show signals for snow
accumulations across the area during the same period. These
ensemble signals give more confidence in a solution closer to
the Euro and Canadian and thus the forecast during this period
reflects that.
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

This is obviously before the 12z runs..

Kbgm

Looking at ensemble guidance for this
storm, the Euro and Canadian continue to show signals for a
shovelable amount of snow Friday into Saturday. GFS ensembles
break from the deterministic guidance and show signals for snow
accumulations across the area during the same period. These
ensemble signals give more confidence in a solution closer to
the Euro and Canadian and thus the forecast during this period
reflects that.

I suppose "shoveable" could be a half inch, right? ;)

• Haha 2