• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Pattern Change Vs Tughill Curse?

19 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

The immediate inner marinas and inlets are solid but out into the main lake itself I would not say it’s safe.  Spotted this gap yesterday in the ice as it was likely shifting.  

00597736-7682-42C0-9494-0D1B2ED16C27.jpeg

Yeah there is a ton of open water and the offshore flow pushed all the ice back into lake away from shorelines today. I'm quite surprised with how cold its been that this lake isnt 100% frozen.

this is a MODIS image

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Buckeyes_Suck said:

First time snowmobiling today, might be hooked. Did about 100 miles across the southern tier. One more reason to love snow. 

5C8318FB-42B6-4097-BA76-8A79B27A8732.jpeg

That's awesome that you had a good time. Snowmobiling is as expensive as you want to make it, and it comes with a lot of heartbreak because of the weather. But once you are out there enjoying the snow and your machine,  there is nothing else like it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Just perfect conditions we did around 6 miles of trails out of a possible 18/19. Going to go back to do the other ones. They have different ratings. Green (Easy) Blue (Moderate) and Black (Difficult). Similar to downhill skiing

IMG_4008.thumb.JPG.e78e4d58462471acb546f3bc581000bd.JPG

Man. You guys are lucky. You mustn’t have young children!  Can’t wait till they’re a bit older to do more things like this!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Someone that feels my pain! I have 3 kids under 3! Haha 

If you like to cross country ski look for a Burley trailer and get a ski attachment for it.

It attaches to you via a harness.

We would put our 3 kids in there with snowsuits and blankets.  We loved it. They loved it too and often fell asleep with the gentle rocking. Terrain has to be mild though because even the slightest uphill is like climbing Everest with all 3 of them behind you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 96blizz said:

Man. You guys are lucky. You mustn’t have young children!  Can’t wait till they’re a bit older to do more things like this!!

Yeah my lifestyle is not conducive for children. However, there were kids on the cross country trails yesterday and lots of kids at holiday valley skiing. 

• Like 2

On 2/5/2022 at 10:08 AM, tombo82685 said:

ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif.469762e47d25a6efb919454a69d5d7d6.gif

So it basically comes down to which MJO forecast is correct. The gefs seem to slow to me with its wave propagation and would tip my cap towards euro evolution going off roundy plots. The euro looks wrong to me with not pushing this into phase 2/3 more before heading into 4. 

That was to easy, would think we see eps correct towards a colder medium and possibly LR as it continues to catch on to convection in the IO

ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Here's my assessment of the 12Z model runs: Buffalo continues to add on to its season snowfall amounts while Syracuse continues to struggle to get even an inch during one of its least snow winters ever (after two pathetic winters already). Gah. Bring on Fall.

You skipped over Snowy Spring and Sizzling Summer.  Weird. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

At this point, there's barely any winter weather to talk about for the next two weeks. Hopefully that'll change. But, man, what a bad run the last 7 winters have been for winter weenies like myself.

i'd watch that storm around day 10-12. Certainly can cut, put if all the energy doesn't dump out west could see a more pos tilted trough. Kind of reminds me of last system, but think h5 looks a bit worse as there isn't a huge pressing arctic high combined with ridge rolling over would lead to more se ridge.

Just now, tombo82685 said:

i'd watch that storm around day 10-12. Certainly can cut, put if all the energy doesn't dump out west could see a more pos tilted trough. Kind of reminds me of last system, but think h5 looks a bit worse as there isn't a huge pressing arctic high combined with ridge rolling over would lead to more se ridge.

So, what you're saying is.... Congrats Buffalo!? :lmao:

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Didn’t you get more then Buffalo last storm?  

I don't think Syracuse did?

Temp is also 4 to 5 degrees above the forecasted high as we sizzle away to the lower 40s. Almost always reach forecasted high by late morning and keep warming from there. I need to find a place with elevation...like Springville or Cazenovia.

25 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

So, what you're saying is.... Congrats Buffalo!? :lmao:

No, what I’m saying is to keep an eye on that period. I don’t think it’s a done deal cutter. Phasing this winter has been pretty tough this winter as most events have had that stretched h5 pos tilted trough look. I could see that occurring here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I don't think Syracuse did?

Temp is also 4 to 5 degrees above the forecasted high as we sizzle away to the lower 40s. Almost always reach forecasted high by late morning and keep warming from there. I need to find a place with elevation...like Springville or Cazenovia.

Kbuf is giving to much credit to snow cover going with lower temps. I looked at model output for ksyr and they had low 40s today. I can see going under with temps in Dec and mid Jan with snow cover. But pushing towards  mid feb with southerly flow, that’s a negative 

6 minutes ago, BGM Blizzard said:

Albany now in last place both in YtD snowfall and YtD actual as % of YtD avg.

BUF - 73.5 YtD, 65.1 avg, 112.9%

ROC - 61.5 YtD, 63.0 avg, 97.6%

SYR - 46.7 YtD, 81.2 avg, 57.5%

BGM - 39.1 YtD, 50.6 avg, 77.3%

ALB - 17.1 YtD, 34.6 avg, 49.4%

Looks like it gets progressively worse from West to East across NYS.  BGM might be a slight anomaly due to the airport's high elevation relative to other cities, as well as to downtown Binghamton.  Isn't the airport something like 1600'+ while downtown is around 800-900'?  That would sort of be like Albany's official weather records being recorded on the Helderberg Escarpment (Thatcher Park, around 1000') instead of where the airport currently is at around 300'.  Either way, I know it's hard to pick a spot that is truly representative of that area due to the frequent elevation changes. 

I will say, however, we've had pretty consistent snow cover since early January despite the low snowfall.  That's a departure from the previous couple winters where we've had a couple big storms, but bigger warmups too.  The 2"+ of sleet that fell the other day should give this some extra staying power too.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stash said:

Looks like it gets progressively worse from West to East across NYS.  BGM might be a slight anomaly due to the airport's high elevation relative to other cities, as well as to downtown Binghamton.  Isn't the airport something like 1600'+ while downtown is around 800-900'?  That would sort of be like Albany's official weather records being recorded on the Helderberg Escarpment (Thatcher Park, around 1000') instead of where the airport currently is at around 300'.  Either way, I know it's hard to pick a spot that is truly representative of that area due to the frequent elevation changes. 

I will say, however, we've had pretty consistent snow cover since early January despite the low snowfall.  That's a departure from the previous couple winters where we've had a couple big storms, but bigger warmups too.  The 2"+ of sleet that fell the other day should give this some extra staying power too.

Yeah, Albany proper is a snow hellhole. I'm at 28"ish. Garbage but considerably better than them. I'm working across the street from the airport right now(leaving jobsite) and it's actually snowing lol.

29 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Kbuf is giving to much credit to snow cover going with lower temps. I looked at model output for ksyr and they had low 40s today. I can see going under with temps in Dec and mid Jan with snow cover. But pushing towards  mid feb with southerly flow, that’s a negative 

Syracuse falls under BGM. I wouldn't even go with under in Dec or Jan. here. It almost always gets above forecasted highs here. True heat conductor. South winds are my worst nightmare.

• Like 1