• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, George001 said:

I don’t know if this means anything but I noticed on some of the models even the more inland ones, that the rain snow line only got like a few miles NW of the low. In some storms the rain snow line is well NW of the low, why is that? 

This storm gets tightly wrapped on the stronger solutions so it would collapse the R/S line pretty close to the ML center. This happened in storms like 1/12/11 where the low tracked over the Cape but the R/S line wasn’t that far NW of the canal. I think the south shore had a monster paste job in that one. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, George001 said:

I don’t know if this means anything but I noticed on some of the models even the more inland ones, that the rain snow line only got like a few miles NW of the low. In some storms the rain snow line is well NW of the low, why is that? 

It might just be the orientation of the flow, the wind… but why THAT happens well it’s just physics

And lots of luck predicting that 3-4 days out.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This storm gets tightly wrapped on the stronger solutions so it would collapse the R/S line pretty close to the ML center. This happened in storms like 1/12/11 where the low tracked over the Cape but the R/S line wasn’t that far NW of the canal. I think the south shore had a monster paste job in that one. 

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. I hope that happens with this storm, a track over the cape which would still keep my area NW of the rain snow line, but the low would strengthen enough that we can get those higher end totals.

• Weenie 1

Humans always like to talk about “averages” and normal and what, and this is true dealing with snowfall and winters. But seriously in most locations, at least now days, averages seem to mean nothing. And in some years, like 2004-2005 you’re getting plastered storm after storm after storm almost the entire winter. Some of them massive blizzards.

or you might have a 2019-2020 situation where you get almost nothing at all the entire season.

My curiosity for this event we are tracking is the idea of the pattern of a winter flipping from really mild for weeks, to a seriously snowy and brutal winter pattern. Because I don’t know many winters in my memory that do that. Which is why I feel like we are maybe being duped by the models. This has been a “miss” winter for us so far. 

is it just a matter of patterns tending to stick for more amounts of months than are contained within a season before they have a chance to change?

11 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Humans always like to talk about “averages” and normal and what, and this is true dealing with snowfall and winters. But seriously in most locations, at least now days, averages seem to mean nothing. And in some years, like 2004-2005 you’re getting plastered storm after storm after storm almost the entire winter. Some of them massive blizzards.

or you might have a 2019-2020 situation where you get almost nothing at all the entire season.

My curiosity for this event we are tracking is the idea of the pattern of a winter flipping from really mild for weeks, to a seriously snowy and brutal winter pattern. Because I don’t know many winters in my memory that do that. Which is why I feel like we are maybe being duped by the models. This has been a “miss” winter for us so far. 

is it just a matter of patterns tending to stick for more amounts of months than are contained within a season before they have a chance to change?

2014-2015 and 2012-2013 were 2 really good winters that started slow. In 2014-2015, we didn’t have anything big until the Miller B blizzard late January that gave eastern mass 2 feet of snow. Then we got a few more severe blizzards in Feb.

30 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Guys.... I am about to start reading page one... If I don't reasonably expect plow able after reading these 28 pages were gonna have a problem 

OK.... I think 2-4" or 3-6" at BOS is more than a fair first call guesstimate. Gotta look at a few different things myself but that's what I get out of reading my favorite red taggers here. 

Big question mark on NW but will probably do fine as always. Would be more concerned mixing SE cape and islands. 

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

IIRC from skiing the streets downtown there was a nice coastal front and it was something like 32˚ in the Seaport and 27˚ in the Fens. MIT Green Building supports this. Not one of those 15˚ coastal fronts, but enough to change the consistency of the SN.

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?
  • dendrite unpinned this topic