• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec. 10-11 Severe Weather

Indystorm

For a little perspective on what we are looking at...

The last time there was a "nocturnal" tornado in December in Indiana was on December 8, 1966.  It occurred around dawn -- which is why I put nocturnal in quotation marks -- but that's good enough for me.

Only looking at December nocturnal tornadoes and not including other winter months probably underestimates the frequency/rate of occurrence a bit, but you get the point.  It's freaking unusual.

52 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

For a little perspective on what we are looking at...

The last time there was a "nocturnal" tornado in December in Indiana was on December 8, 1966.  It occurred around dawn -- which is why I put nocturnal in quotation marks -- but that's good enough for me.

Only looking at December nocturnal tornadoes and not including other winter months probably underestimates the frequency/rate of occurrence a bit, but you get the point.  It's freaking unusual.

Meteorologist Andrew Whitmyer in South Bend posted this interesting fact.

While well outside of this subforum (this seems to be the main thread for the event), storms are going up over the eastern DFW metroplex, much further west than expected.  SPC says they are "high based" in a mesoscale discussion regarding the possibility of issuing a watch for the ArkLaTex.

I do wonder what this means in terms of implications for later in the event.

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED   TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 553  

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   520 PM CST FRI DEC 10 2021    

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A     * TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF   WESTERN AND CENTRAL ILLINOIS   SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST MISSOURI

* EFFECTIVE THIS FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 520 PM UNTIL   1100 PM CST.     * PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...

A FEW TORNADOES LIKELY WITH A COUPLE INTENSE TORNADOES POSSIBLE   SCATTERED DAMAGING WINDS AND ISOLATED SIGNIFICANT GUSTS TO 75   MPH POSSIBLE   ISOLATED LARGE HAIL EVENTS TO 1.5 INCHES IN DIAMETER POSSIBLE    

first TOR warning of the event

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...   NORTHWESTERN CALLOWAY COUNTY IN WESTERN KENTUCKY...   MARSHALL COUNTY IN WESTERN KENTUCKY...   SOUTHEASTERN GRAVES COUNTY IN WESTERN KENTUCKY...     * UNTIL 615 PM CST.    

* AT 528 PM CST, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO   WAS LOCATED NEAR LYNNVILLE, OR 11 MILES SOUTH OF MAYFIELD, MOVING   NORTHEAST AT 45 MPH.  

31 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

first TOR warning of the event

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...   NORTHWESTERN CALLOWAY COUNTY IN WESTERN KENTUCKY...   MARSHALL COUNTY IN WESTERN KENTUCKY...   SOUTHEASTERN GRAVES COUNTY IN WESTERN KENTUCKY...     * UNTIL 615 PM CST.    

* AT 528 PM CST, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO   WAS LOCATED NEAR LYNNVILLE, OR 11 MILES SOUTH OF MAYFIELD, MOVING   NORTHEAST AT 45 MPH.  

And to think this is the slow one. I wouldn’t be shocked tonight to see storm motions at 60+

32 minutes ago, Calderon said:

The activity over western MO will tell the tale for the northern half of the risk. We'll see if things stay more linear or if we can get more robust updrafts to become more individual. 

Either way there will be a wind/tornado threat, whether activity is cellular or QLCS.

The cell in NE Arkansas is starting to look very impressive. Wording on the warning seems to indicate that it's a confirmed tornado, but I'm not sure as it looks like an unusual way of putting it. I'd be very surprised if it isn't currently producing a tornado. 

8 minutes ago, mob1 said:

The cell in NE Arkansas is starting to look very impressive. Wording on the warning seems to indicate that it's a confirmed tornado, but I'm not sure as it looks like an unusual way of putting it. I'd be very surprised if it isn't currently producing a tornado. 

Memphis NWS (MEG) has a horrible practice of saying  "a severe storm producing a tornado..." when they are only observing radar indicated rotation with nothing actuaLLY CONFIRMED AS OF YET.... it is very misleading and confusing. They need to say "capable of producing a tornado" like other offices do when observing rotation.

• Thanks 2