• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2021-22 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

Going to flush basically an entire month of meteorological winter down the toilet (even if it starts to turn around in the final days).  And once again, it is the month of December.  Is it too much to ask to get snow on the ground for Christmas?  Apparently it is these days.  What trash.  Might as well be living in Florida, because lately they have about the same odds of a white Christmas as the Chicago area.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Going to flush basically an entire month of meteorological winter down the toilet (even if it starts to turn around in the final days).  And once again, it is the month of December.  Is it too much to ask to get snow on the ground for Christmas?  Apparently it is these days.  What trash.  Might as well be living in Florida, because lately they have about the same odds of a white Christmas as the Chicago area.   

The lack of activity this year in this thread sadly indicates how accustomed we've become to the slower starts to winter as of late.  In years past this thread would have already had a few decent rants by now.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Baby beavis

• Haha 2

Asked for new power blower for Christmas. If Santa delivers I'll still be able to use it on the numerous leaves that have come back this week from the 55 mph winds we've had and the fact they held on trees until a few weeks ago. And perhaps I'll find my artificial outside tree which blew away last Saturday. Just to put a positive spin on the tranquil weather thus far. It'll all be forgotten when it snows at this years Masters Tournament.

• Haha 3

Losing hope. The PV is staying locked up tight. Wanted to hate bump the wad posts from early season but I don’t think I’m going to get the chance.

From Judah’s blog last Wednesday - below. Since then the progged cooldown has disappeared. The first path seems to be the inevitable outcome. What a waste of a season.

I feel that we have approached a fork in the road for the winter. The first path is an overall mild winter with an ongoing T-S-T coupling that favors a positive AO, a strong stratospheric PV and relatively mild temperatures. We are currently entering a period that is an interruption to the overall mild pattern, it will likely last into the beginning of the year but much of January and February will be mild. The alternate path is that we are concluding our extensive mild period and the continuation of the mild period is being discontinued or disrupted by favorable placement of ridge/high pressure centers that in the short term is allowing the NH landmasses to cool significantly. But I do think for the relatively cold pattern to have longevity, it needs to involve the stratospheric PV either through a classical SSW or alternatively a stretched PV but in the former disruption, it would likely need to occur multiple times to have a discernable impact on the seasonal means.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

What happened to Jackstraw?  Seems like a lot of long-time posters are MIA this winter season.  RC?  Maybe forum discussion is slowly dying as someone pointed out a short while back.  Oh well.

I believe Jackstraw was dealing with ongoing covid issues.  I hope he is alright and that it's just the lackluster start to winter.  I've seen RC lurking a couple times.  I think we have been covering the futility stuff quite well (lol) and certainly hope to see RC posting when something exciting comes along.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, luckyweather said:

Losing hope. The PV is staying locked up tight. Wanted to hate bump the wad posts from early season but I don’t think I’m going to get the chance.

From Judah’s blog last Wednesday - below. Since then the progged cooldown has disappeared. The first path seems to be the inevitable outcome. What a waste of a season.

I feel that we have approached a fork in the road for the winter. The first path is an overall mild winter with an ongoing T-S-T coupling that favors a positive AO, a strong stratospheric PV and relatively mild temperatures. We are currently entering a period that is an interruption to the overall mild pattern, it will likely last into the beginning of the year but much of January and February will be mild. The alternate path is that we are concluding our extensive mild period and the continuation of the mild period is being discontinued or disrupted by favorable placement of ridge/high pressure centers that in the short term is allowing the NH landmasses to cool significantly. But I do think for the relatively cold pattern to have longevity, it needs to involve the stratospheric PV either through a classical SSW or alternatively a stretched PV but in the former disruption, it would likely need to occur multiple times to have a discernable impact on the seasonal means.

This is standard Judith Cohen fare. Reason, I stopped following. It's rarely a forecast, but rather a breakdown of possibilities; "if this occurs it could get cold and snowy, however there is a possibility this could happen that might trigger this and in that case it would stay warm" all laced with technical met. jargon and so on. Always, with the PV dropping into the lower 48 down the line. He's JB LIte.

• Like 3