Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,924
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    R. Venson
    Newest Member
    R. Venson
    Joined

September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.


moneypitmike
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Not understanding broke back^^ Just take a look at the vegetation, birds, length of day. BDL -.2  this month. We had 7 BN days to start the first 10 days. Anyone who thinks back broken means a quick switch to fall just doesn't get it.

Great post. We are stepping down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dryslot said:

And what was it like the 3 days previous? Night time temps in the 40's is not summer, Sorry.

One night in the 40s here.  Mid/upper 50s and 60s for lows.


Product Description:
DAILY DATA FOR A MONTH - daily maximum, minimum and average temperature (degrees F), average temperature departure from normal (degrees F), heating and cooling degree days (base 65), precipitation, snowfall and snow depth (inches) for all days of the selected month. Basic monthly summary statistics are also provided.
 
The Applied Climate Information System (ACIS) is a joint project of the Regional Climate Centers, the National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) and the National Weather Service. Official data and data for additional locations are available from the Regional Climate Centers and NCEI.

Date has the format yyyy-mm
Click for calendar
NOWData - NOAA Online Weather DataEnlarge resultsPrintClose
Climatological Data for TAUNTON MUNICIPAL AP, MA - September 2021
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Date
Temperature
HDD
CDD
Precipitation
Maximum
Minimum
Average
Departure
2021-09-01 71 60 65.5 -2.2 0 1 0.95
2021-09-02 76 55 65.5 -1.9 0 1 3.77
2021-09-03 75 50 62.5 -4.6 2 0 0.00
2021-09-04 78 51 64.5 -2.3 0 0 0.00
2021-09-05 74 57 65.5 -1.0 0 1 0.08
2021-09-06 82 57 69.5 3.3 0 5 0.04
2021-09-07 80 51 65.5 -0.4 0 1 0.00
2021-09-08 M M M M M M M
2021-09-09 82 55 68.5 3.2 0 4 0.61
2021-09-10 78 52 65.0 0.1 0 0 0.03
2021-09-11 77 47 62.0 -2.6 3 0 0.00
2021-09-12 79 63 71.0 6.7 0 6 0.00
2021-09-13 81 55 68.0 4.1 0 3 T
2021-09-14 77 52 64.5 0.9 0 0 0.00
2021-09-15 84 63 73.5 10.3 0 9 T
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

And what was it like yesterday?

Still pales in comparison to August.  You had one day of 84/63 daily spread.  You'll still get those one or two day blips in the fall but man there's no comparison between having more 90s than 70s.  TAN didn't have a min under 60 for the second half of August and now have had 11 so far in September (low of 47F).  

Just compare the number of 70s/50s compared to 90s/60s.

tan1b.jpg.4db8f96a16b50d805ec5375182ee3392.jpg

tan1.jpg.e4195988ced4873378390f1204148f9b.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Broke back summer to me would mean an extended period of average to below average temps.  A few days does not an extended period make in my world. 

Why does it mean below normal?  Broke back means it's not 90F every day anymore.  You're daily averages so far this month are like 78/55 it looks like.

Averages are tanking right now.   +3 in August to +1 in September will still yield a fairly sizeable drop off in sensible weather.

The TAN temperatures have averaged 5.6F colder for the maxes and 9.0F colder for the mins these last two weeks than they did in August.  That seems like it would be noticeable?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can't compare temperatures in September with that of August...you can still have a summer-like pattern in September but because of the climatological decrease in temperatures, descending sun angle, and other factors, of course you won't see widespread upper 80's and 90's (especially the further north you go). We've been above-average in terms of temperatures for the month. Summer can't be and shouldn't be defined by temperatures either. The pattern we have been in...even this month is more typical of summer, but because we are nearing the equinox and going through the beginning transition phases (especially at higher latitudes) we are more prone to getting weaknesses within the pattern (which is what drives the fronts through and these brief cooler periods)...but at the end of the day after these brief fronts/troughs we end right back into a summer pattern

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, powderfreak said:

Why does it mean below normal?  Broke back means it's not 90F every day anymore.  You're daily averages so far this month are like 78/55 it looks like.

Averages are tanking right now.   +3 in August to +1 in September will still yield a fairly sizeable drop off in sensible weather.

The TAN temperatures have averaged 5.6F colder for the maxes and 9.0F colder for the mins these last two weeks than they did in August.  That seems like it would be noticeable?

But it wasn't 90F+ everyday.  We had a period of torch for about 4 days towards end of August.  The entire month was not like that but had above normal temps and dews overall.   The month ended above solidly above normal, but not a torch.  All I'm saying it's its right back to that solidly above normal regime over last several days and we are now above normal on the month, so not much of a change in my book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

And what was it like yesterday?

It was 72/57, which is +8 here and pulled the month to 0.1° BN.  Will be AN after today and might reach +2 a week from now.  By then the average here will be 66/44 so it doesn't need to be summery to be siggy AN.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It will be in the 80s next week. Back breaks after we cooler wx. Sure we stepped down, but other than a couple of cool mornings, this hasn't resembled much in the way of Fall-like wx. 

Yeah I guess we are comparing different things with back broken.  There is no doubt it has been much different than August IMO.  I was running my A/C consistently and it hasn’t been on once in September and I haven’t been swimming once either… that’s what I think of when back broken.

Just because we carry +1.5 in October or November doesn’t mean its still summer.  I’m not sure when the cut-off happens but most months are above normal these days.  We’ve stepped down a good 5-10F from August on average it seems at most stations.

Maybe 10-15F lower than August will break the back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Broke back summer to me would mean an extended period of average to below average temps.  A few days does not an extended period make in my world. 

First 5 days this month were all BN and 7 of the first 8 and 9 of 12 going back thru 8/28.  Then 5 of the most recent 7 were AN but that's becoming easier to do with the average dropping about 0.3° daily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

what is it now? 9 out of the past 10 septembers above normal? that would get to me if i liked winter

Well there's two things here:

1) The weather is beautiful.  70s/50s in the means like September has had is literally what the human race wants to live in, ha.  Know you are trying to troll but I think most love the weather.

2) The temperatures you posted look like mid-summer up here, so definitely makes sense you are still in summer mode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I guess we are comparing different things with back broken.  There is no doubt it has been much different than August IMO.  I was running my A/C consistently and it hasn’t been on once in September and I haven’t been swimming once either… that’s what I think of when back broken.

Just because we carry +1.5 in October or November doesn’t mean its still summer.  I’m not sure when the cut-off happens but most months are above normal these days.  We’ve stepped down a good 5-10F from August on average it seems at most stations.

Maybe 10-15F lower than August will break the back.

I've had it on especially at night almost daily. It's been humid. I dunno....other than a few cool mornings, it hasn't really reminded me of Fall much. It's felt more like mid to late August. Temps and dews too have shown this as well, and by end of next week..departures go up significantly. I could easily go swimming at the beach. So to me, it's been more summer-like. But, that is different comparing departures in October. I'm not going there as 70s doesn't exactly scream beach wx....but I suppose it could be argued. I mean more as it stands today and especially  by end of next week. After that, it's probably it for awhile.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I've had it on especially at night almost daily. It's been humid. I dunno....other than a few cool mornings, it hasn't really reminded me of Fall much. It's felt more like mid to late August. Temps and dews too have shown this as well, and by end of next week..departures go up significantly. I could easily go swimming at the beach. So to me, it's been more summer-like. But, that is different comparing departures in October. I'm not going there as 70s doesn't exactly scream beach wx....but I suppose it could be argued. I mean more as it stands today and especially  by end of next week. After that, it's probably it for awhile.

Better leave 'em installed for the 60 degree Christmas Eve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I've had it on especially at night almost daily. It's been humid. I dunno....other than a few cool mornings, it hasn't really reminded me of Fall much. It's felt more like mid to late August. Temps and dews too have shown this as well, and by end of next week..departures go up significantly. I could easily go swimming at the beach. So to me, it's been more summer-like. But, that is different comparing departures in October. I'm not going there as 70s doesn't exactly scream beach wx....but I suppose it could be argued. I mean more as it stands today and especially  by end of next week. After that, it's probably it for awhile.

Yeah there's likely some regional differences going on too.

Up here...

August was 81/59 for +4.8

September so far 72/50 for +0.8.

I just have definitely noticed that almost 10 degree drop in the means between August and September.  I'm not thinking it's felt like pumpkins but I'm not comparing it to fall... I'm just comparing the two months and what the feel has been.  That 10 degree drop in the means has been the difference in just Top 10 COC days every single day and summer weather.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The more I think about it, I do think it's that threshold for when A/C runs more consistently and not at all.

I think that's back broken.  If you guys are running your A/C's at night and being all locked up with artificial air, yeah that seems like summer.  I think we crossed that threshold and that's what's flipped a switch for me. 

We now close up most night's because it's too chilly outside.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah there's likely some regional differences going on too.

Up here...

August was 81/59 for +4.8

September so far 72/50 for +0.8.

I just have definitely noticed that almost 10 degree drop in the means between August and September.  I'm not thinking it's felt like pumpkins but I'm not comparing it to fall... I'm just comparing the two months and what the feel has been.  That 10 degree drop in the means has been the difference in just Top 10 COC days every single day and summer weather.

This is the guy next town over. No doubt it was cool to start, but lotsa of upper 70s to mid 80s too. He's at +1.2 to date thanks to the cool start.

 

image.png.f962716e96719d99db70ed95e17967ce.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, powderfreak said:

The more I think about it, I do think it's that threshold for when A/C runs more consistently and not at all.

I think that's back broken.  If you guys are running your A/C's at night and being all locked up with artificial air, yeah that seems like summer.  I think we crossed that threshold and that's what's flipped a switch for me. 

I don't use that threshold because it's more for me. I like the sound and it being ice cold haha. Wife hates it. But to be fair, many nights it was needed. I just don't sleep well even with dews near 60.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...