• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 28-29 Severe Potential

sbnwx85

Part of me feels that SPC went with a Severe Thunderstorm Watch specifically so that they could label it as a Particularly Dangerous Situation for straight-line winds. Tornado probabilities are at the maximum (20%) for a SVR watch, while the SPC outlook has a 10% tornado probability (within 25 miles of a point); normally we would expect a Tornado Watch with a 10% on the outlook, barring some post-outlook "nowcasting" suggesting lower probabilities.

Typically I've noticed that 10% contours almost always lead to Tornado Watches, while 5% contours can go in either direction (that is, either a SVR or a TOR watch).

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BrandonC_TX said:

Part of me feels that SPC went with a Severe Thunderstorm Watch specifically so that they could label it as a Particularly Dangerous Situation for straight-line winds. Tornado probabilities are at the maximum (20%) for a SVR watch, while the SPC outlook has a 10% tornado probability (within 25 miles of a point); normally we would expect a Tornado Watch with a 10% on the outlook.

Yeah, rather bizarre situation there. Just looking at the radar almost right off the bat, it seems things want to line/bow out pretty quick so looking like the longer-lived/strong (supercell) tornado threat won't really materialize. Not to say there couldn't be a stronger (EF2 or even 3, like that Chicago 'burbs one a few weeks ago) spin-up with an HP supercell embedded in the QLCS as it takes shape down the road.

May just be distance from the respective radar (but warning wording is also stronger on it, too) but the eastern cluster riding along and east of US 51/I-39 looks to be the more impressive right now.

This is a DANGEROUS SITUATION. These storms are producing widespread
wind damage across Lincoln County. SEEK SHELTER NOW inside a sturdy
structure and stay away from windows.

• Like 1