• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Summer 2021

8 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I said as much earlier - I have no clue what I'm talking about, but that's my gut feeling as well.

Then again, all it takes is one tropical shower/storm and we get 1" in 30 minutes, so there's that. 

I still think lots of PA sees quite a bit of rain....some have already.  Not the actual system as much as moisture being wrung out by the trough.   Looks like Lancaster county has several reports (east and west) over 1" now from a more stratiform though tropical like moisture flow.  If the models that loop it back (GFS, HRR, Nam now) are correct we could see some real impressive totals even West of the Susq where there is already some 1/2-3/4" totals as well.      Some may have two days of fairly solid rain. 

Flood Watch
National Weather Service State College PA
508 AM EDT Sun Aug 22 2021

PAZ058-059-066-222100-
/O.EXT.KCTP.FA.A.0003.210822T1100Z-210823T1200Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
Schuylkill-Lebanon-Lancaster-
Including the cities of Pottsville, Lancaster, and Lebanon

...FLOOD WATCH NOW IN EFFECT THROUGH MONDAY MORNING...

The Flood Watch is now in effect for

* A portion of central Pennsylvania, including the following areas,
  Lancaster, Lebanon and Schuylkill.

* Through Monday morning.

* Bands of slow-moving heavy showers and thunderstorms associated
  with the western edge of deep tropical moisture from Hurricane
  Henri will occur across the watch area today and tonight. Several
  rounds of heavy rainfall with rates in excess of 2 inches per hour
  will elevate the threat for flooding of poor drainage areas, along
  with small streams and creeks. Rainfall totals of 1 to 3 inches
  are expected by 8 am Monday.  Localized flash flooding may occur
  in areas experiencing longer durations of heavy rain.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible Flood
Warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be prepared
to take action should flooding develop.

&&

$$

Lambert/Steinbugl

9 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:
Flood Watch
National Weather Service State College PA

PAZ058-059-066-222100-
/O.EXT.KCTP.FA.A.0003.210822T1100Z-210823T1200Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
Schuylkill-Lebanon-Lancaster-
Including the cities of Pottsville, Lancaster, and Lebanon

...FLOOD WATCH NOW IN EFFECT THROUGH MONDAY MORNING...

The Flood Watch is now in effect for

* A portion of central Pennsylvania, including the following areas,
  Lancaster, Lebanon and Schuylkill.

* Through Monday morning.

* Bands of slow-moving heavy showers and thunderstorms associated
  with the western edge of deep tropical moisture from Hurricane
  Henri will occur across the watch area today and tonight. Several
  rounds of heavy rainfall with rates in excess of 2 inches per hour
  will elevate the threat for flooding of poor drainage areas, along
  with small streams and creeks. Rainfall totals of 1 to 3 inches
  are expected by 8 am Monday.  Localized flash flooding may occur
  in areas experiencing longer durations of heavy rain.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible Flood
Warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be prepared
to take action should flooding develop.

&&

$$

Lambert/Steinbugl

Lancaster in a good band now.   I’ll take 1/2” over a 12 hour period to soak in 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I almost spit out my morning coffee when I just read in the Tropical Storm Henri New England thread this post from our old friend Eskimo Joe.

“Yup. Lots of early "storm cancel" posts here in this thread.”

He is the king of early storm cancel every year….unbelievable!

He just cancelled tropical season for the MA.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

GFS going bonkers with the low 90's next week.....7 days in a row at MDT.  Not fully supported by anything yet though the EC implies similar for at least 5 of the days. 

Yeah, this “back end of August will be hot” prediction will unfortunately be true. Unfortunate because I don’t want heat, but also unfortunate because as I recall, it came from Joe Bastardi and that means he’ll be right on something.

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Yeah, this “back end of August will be hot” prediction will unfortunately be true. Unfortunate because I don’t want heat, but also unfortunate because as I recall, it came from Joe Bastardi and that means he’ll be right on something.

700th post on this thread and mentioning JB.  He does not deserve it.  JB called for a heat wave.  Not sure he will get that but its not going to be cool and with a 1.8 degree lead already, MDT is almost assured of coming in above average for the month. 

700th post on this thread and mentioning JB.  He does not deserve it.  JB called for a heat wave.  Not sure he will get that but its not going to be cool and with a 1.8 degree lead already, MDT is almost assured of coming in above average for the month. 

Does JB use the antiquated “three days of 90 degrees or above” definition of a heatwave, or the official WMO definition? If it’s the former, then it’s well within the realm of possibility.

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

Does JB use the antiquated “three days of 90 degrees or above” definition of a heatwave, or the official WMO definition? If it’s the former, then it’s well within the realm of possibility.

Not sure what he uses but I was using the 5 days at least 9 over average....that would be 5 days in a row breaking 93-94 at MDT.  I agree that they probably do break 90 3 days in a row. 

Not sure what he uses but I was using the 5 days at least 9 over average....that would be 5 days in a row breaking 93-94 at MDT.  I agree that they probably do break 90 3 days in a row. 

Yeah, I don’t think 5 days in a row of 93+ is in the cards at MDT. It becomes a more interesting case for me, as the average high here is 81, which would mean a high of 90 Tues-Sat. I don’t think that’s out of the question.

Just now, TimB84 said:

Yeah, I don’t think 5 days in a row of 93+ is in the cards at MDT. It becomes a more interesting case for me, as the average high here is 81, which would mean a high of 90 Tues-Sat. I don’t think that’s out of the question.

Something to keep an eye on with interest albeit disdain as well... I guess.  If I were to guess right now, for MDT, I think we have a day where it does not clear our all that well and temps are held back.  I know better than to try and forecast in your area without experience.  

16 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Something to keep an eye on with interest albeit disdain as well... I guess.  If I were to guess right now, for MDT, I think we have a day where it does not clear our all that well and temps are held back.  I know better than to try and forecast in your area without experience.  

The experience seems to be, we often underperform when forecast to hit 90 or 91, and overperform when forecast to hit 78 or 79.

So that tells you everything you need to know. Getting to 90+ 5 days in a row here is hard, even in the middle of July.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I was pleasantly surprised to see .6” in the gauge this morning. A nice light soaking rain continuing with no real end in sight. So it looks like no hurricane landfall for New England. Do my eyes deceive me or is Henri about to make landfall soon as a TS near Rhode Island? 

What??? 

Wow..., only .14" here. I'm in a hole between you and MDT.