Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Potential - Part 4

am19psu

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
00znam500mbHGHTNA060.gifJust to ask a dumb question that may be obvious to others, but i'm curious, if that L off the NW pacific coast were weaker than indicated or positioned more to the west, would that allow the ridge to build more to the west, and in doing so allow the L in the SE to potentially dig further S? If so wouldn't that essentially "slow" the eastward progression down, and possibly allow more of a neutral/negative tilt to our trough? Is it possible that the NW pac "L" is what the Euro was keying in on being weaker and/or positioned more westwardly, hence allowing our storm to come up the coast? I honestly am just trying to learn, and am just wondering if I have any sort of clue what i'm looking at.

00znam500mbHGHTNA060.gifJust to ask a dumb question that may be obvious to others, but i'm curious, if that L off the NW pacific coast were weaker than indicated or positioned more to the west, would that allow the ridge to build more to the westerly, and in doing so allow the L in the SE to potentially dig further S? If so wouldn't that essentially "slow" the eastward progression down, and possibly allow more of a neutral/negative tilt to our trough? Is it possible that the NW pac "L" is what the Euro was keying in on being weaker and/or positioned more westwardly, hence allowing our storm to come up the coast? I honestly am just trying to learn, and am just wondering if I have any sort of clue what i'm looking at.

The ridge axis out West was always depicted on modelling to be a bit east of the classic postion, i.e. Boise ID, which put this event at high risk of being a near miss to the SE. If the low in the NE PAC was further west, yes the ridge would also be further west and would likely allow more time at least for the nern stream to dive into the southern s/w, thereby phasing and tilting the trough negative in time for the east coast. But with the orientation we've got, we really need that northern stream to dive in quickly and far south in order to pick up this southern wave before it reaches the SE coast. Otherwise it'll be too little too late and the phasing of the branches will occur SE of us.

Henry Marguisity thinks this could be a nice surprise snowfall for Philly and NYC from the ULL.

It would be what today is, a coating. The only thing is if you want snow, I still don't trust the NAM in this anomalous flow pattern, but other than that I said a couple of days ago that this was going to take a track nearly exactly to the last storm, so today's happenings do not surprise me.

what is kind of interesting, is the upper level low that generates snow. That could be a surprise in future runs to some locations maybe getting an inch or so from that.

For this reason, I will keep watching the model runs. There's hope for a small accumulation. A SECS is off the table, though.

Bad news Matt...JB has been keying on this the last couple days....with his recent medium term forecasts....this might be in trouble.

Should be an interesting 00z GFS run. I don't think a light-moderate snow is out of the question. And we've seen models trend towards SECS in two days - granted last year was a different pattern, but it can be done. Just not likely.

I see Henry M is focusing like JB on an "artic front" that they see may be a focus for "enhanced" snows over SE PA. Will that help hits to the website??

quote name='mattinpa' timestamp='1293160884' post='167152']

Oh, no doubt about that. We need one of those Christmas miracles or something like that Eagles' comback over the Giants.

Oh, no doubt about that. We need one of those Christmas miracles or something like that Eagles' comeback over the Giants.

Yes - I feel like that is possible for some reason. A sudden change on all the models to the Euro (965 mb stall over the Delmarva coast depiction) of a few days ago would be equivalent to the DJax walk off punt return. I can only wish! It is Christmas....

Archived