• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
10 Year Anniversary. June 1 2011-2021. Monson Springfield MA

HoarfrostHubb

Top five event for me, even though I didn't personally experience the tornado. I vividly remember having an early morning thunderstorm with hail and ferocious lightning, which often seems to be the case with higher end severe in NE. By 9 or 10 a.m., the sun was out, the castellanus was popping and I knew it was game on. Sadly I couldn't get out of work in time to chase.

37 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Top five event for me, even though I didn't personally experience the tornado. I vividly remember having an early morning thunderstorm with hail and ferocious lightning, which often seems to be the case with higher end severe in NE. By 9 or 10 a.m., the sun was out, the castellanus was popping and I knew it was game on. Sadly I couldn't get out of work in time to chase.

Assuming you were in Cambridge? Yeah we had nasty storms in the morning. That was the EML moving in. 
That night was the most prolific night show I can remember. CGs like War of the Worlds. Knocked out the power and ended up listening to the Bruins in the Stanley Cup Finals by radio.  An old coworker is an avid storm chaser and he said that was Plains lightning. Just constant strobes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Assuming you were in Cambridge? Yeah we had nasty storms in the morning. That was the EML moving in. 
That night was the most prolific night show I can remember. CGs like War of the Worlds. Knocked out the power and ended up listening to the Bruins in the Stanley Cup Finals by radio.  An old coworker is an avid storm chaser and he said that was Plains lightning. Just constant strobes.

Bingo. It was an awesome display of what happens when everything comes together. Second only to 1953 in Massachusetts I would think.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Dam that was a good shot. Can see the whole thing rotating on the corner there.

The roar is damn impressive as well. I think this is about where it peaked and the three body scatter signature was noted on radar scans from lofted debris.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

The roar is damn impressive as well. I think this is about where it peaked and the three body scatter signature was noted on radar scans from lofted debris.

Yeah peaked in the forest there in Brimfield and Monson. Monster stove pipe and arguable wedge. Crazy.

• Like 1

I will never forget that day.  Incredible excitement tracking the synoptic setup turning to sheer dread after seeing the city I spent 20 years of my life directly in the path of a EF-3 tornado. Initially unable to get ahold of my parents, who missed the tornado by 1 mile in Forest Park Springfield, but relieved to find out they were out and unable to find a path home but were safe.  It took longer to hear from by brother in law's parents, who missed it by about .3 miles in Sixteen Acres Springfield.  My Mom's cousin's house lost a roof  near Plumtree Road.  My wife was so pissed that I left her at 9 months pregnant to go run to Springfield while there was still severe weather and tornado warnings even after the initial tornado, but I had to see the damage and try to find out more.  I still drive through the tornado scarred areas somewhat regularly.  Never ceases to amaze me.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CT Valley Snowman said:

I will never forget that day.  Incredible excitement tracking the synoptic setup turning to sheer dread after seeing the city I spent 20 years of my life directly in the path of a EF-3 tornado. Initially unable to get ahold of my parents, who missed the tornado by 1 mile in Forest Park Springfield, but relieved to find out they were out and unable to find a path home but were safe.  It took longer to hear from by brother in law's parents, who missed it by about .3 miles in Sixteen Acres Springfield.  My Mom's cousin's house lost a roof  near Plumtree Road.  My wife was so pissed that I left her at 9 months pregnant to go run to Springfield while there was still severe weather and tornado warnings even after the initial tornado, but I had to see the damage and try to find out more.  I still drive through the tornado scarred areas somewhat regularly.  Never ceases to amaze me.  

Small world! My parents used to live on Plumtree Road in Springfield. Their neighbors called to tell them about the tornado coming; they had seen it from their attic windows. My old high school got hit that day. That neighborhood (north side of Plumtree Rd.) definitely took some damage. Luckily my folks were OK and stayed with my sister for a while. I think their power was out? The house was fine, thank goodness.

8 hours ago, Hailstoned said:

BB3D5455-A733-4DCE-AEE0-4C6DF0E038A8_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.e99d357aab0fe82af136537300c6fb70.jpeg2713DA02-583F-4288-8788-F1F8C1D98870_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.59d8dd5ecd41be724dd856ebe451317e.jpegD774B044-E50B-470F-8FEC-B4717BFB5F4F_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b74cc87843053c751aabe1ea6f2c6835.jpeg

Shrapnel from the Monson Library's slate roof embedded in the porch of a residence across Main Street.

4B1C37C6-8B7B-4160-B847-E76E3885C6B1_1_105_c.jpeg

Great pictures. There was an oak next to my aunt's house that had a slate embedded several inches into it by the Hamden F4 back in '89. Wild stuff.

I was working outside in the metrowest area and heard the tornado reports on the radio so I called it a day.  By the time I got back to the office in Framingham the lighting was picking up.  We were living in Scituate, MA at the time and that evening was the most intense lighting I've ever seen, by a mile.  It was the only time I've ever been nervous about lighting while inside a house.

Funny story about '53...both of my parents grew up in Holden and my poor grandmother raced down to Indian Lake in Worcester to grab my aunt and uncle at some point immediately before/after the storm.  Then the transmission in her car goes and the only gear that works is reverse, so she has to drive the whole way back to Holden in reverse with all the chaos around her.

• Like 3

This was one of the few severe events here where I was following the models like I would for a winter threat. Like 36-48 hours out and closer I remember a bunch f us posting soundings in the thread. The numbers were so good.