Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
10 Year Anniversary. June 1 2011-2021. Monson Springfield MA

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

This was one of the few severe events here where I was following the models like I would for a winter threat. Like 36-48 hours out and closer I remember a bunch f us posting soundings in the thread. The numbers were so good.  

Showed up at a long lead time as well as I recall. Like a week out we started honking at the look. 

Yeah this was one of the few times a NE event was well forecasted, IIRC SPC had a 10% tor in that region, and everything played out perfectly for once. Personally nailed the forecast too, I figured storms would initiate upstate NY moving from the hudson river/albany area towards Springfield, I remember trying hard to convince my friend who really isn't into this stuff to go up there, with an initial target just west of Springfield, definitely would have seen it. But his wife said something like "you're really going to drive all the way to MA just to look at some rain?" and he begged off. Should have gone alone, still bothers me that I didn't, but that's chasing in New England: you probably won't see anything, but you definitely won't if you don't go. Can't believe its been 10 years already.   

I actually just drove 20 through Brimfield a few weeks back. You can see the newer lower trees coming down the mountains and hills and it’s still pretty clear where the tornado went over 20 too. The untrained non weather person would have no idea now tho. Everything in the path has that lime green younger leaf growth look. 

• 5 months later...

Some of the damage from that tornado definitely strikes me as EF4. It appears as though it peaked on radar right around Brimfield where at least 2 homes were leveled.  A lot of the homes along the path were “sliders” but there’s at least 2 photos that clearly show anchor bolting around the foundation. I don’t have permission to show the other so here’s just 1. The tree damage is probably among some of the most impressive I’ve seen at least in photos. Max V-Rot was ~80-90 kts and a Delta/V of around 150 kts (172 mph). Given that and the damage at the ground it’s most certainly deserving of a lower end EF4. However I wasn’t on the survey.

(source for the house damage). https://ryanhanrahan.wordpress.com

0C55C05D-4326-42F1-A4D5-6EBDB112DF05.jpeg

6EFF1C57-2BDE-4088-AD35-B3B08646506C.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Cmr29 said:

Some of the damage from that tornado definitely strikes me as EF4. It appears as though it peaked on radar right around Brimfield where at least 2 homes were leveled.  A lot of the homes along the path were “sliders” but there’s at least 2 photos that clearly show anchor bolting around the foundation. I don’t have permission to show the other so here’s just 1. The tree damage is probably among some of the most impressive I’ve seen at least in photos. Max V-Rot was ~80-90 kts and a Delta/V of around 150 kts (172 mph). Given that and the damage at the ground it’s most certainly deserving of a lower end EF4. However I wasn’t on the survey.

I appraised one of the homes that got levelled in Brimfield  last year, the owner had quite an amazing story, she barely made it into the basement with her two golden retrievers in time and was scared shitless when it passed over. They ended up with a 10 acre wooded lot looking like a field afterwards. They did get the house rebuilt and lived in a FEMA trailer on their property for a year while they rebuilt. The good news is they planned on cutting down a couple of acres of trees and put up a barn for horses, the tornado did that work for them and the rebuilt home is beautiful.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:38 AM, Cmr29 said:

Knew someone on Paige Hilll road that had their home leveled, and they were one of about 8 homes that were shredded to the foundation on that road alone.