Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

11 hours ago, Supernovice said:

How about the “Trump Virus” since it was our taxpayer money that funded the Wuhan Institute? See what I did there?

Honestly at this pt who cares? We’re still in crisis mgmt mode (globally).  Let’s get everyone in the world a vax that wants one then we can talk about responsibility if it even matters at that point.

no doubt- agree a million % we’re going to be dealing w/ this for a while probs forever. Thank God it’s not like...legit the real deal and we can learn lessons to apply next time. Or not.

Well , The main lesson to apply is not to fund Gain of function research that makes disease more dangerous and transmissible to humans and not to cover up the initial spread and punish those that did.

Why did the lancet allow such a biased research paper into its print media and Shape the initial opinions of millions , And why are so many continuing to protect opening the “can of worms” As the lancets latest “investigation into the origins” is once again headlined by a scientist with a incentive to protect his own funding and history since he has been a recipient of gain of function research . When people act like they are covering something up they usually are protecting their A$$

But who cares about that , because that makes some question things they would rather not ? Makes them seem less safe going forward .....I mean ..why are the heros who yell across the street for a stranger to put on a mask while walking ...silent on this potential issue if you “care”

Waiting for the people who benefit from it to finish their research into its orgins ?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

is once again headlined by a scientist with a incentive to protect his own funding and history since he has been a recipient of gain of function research . 

That's the dirty secret of biological research. The NIH plays favorites. Why do you think old Ashish Jha is in the Globe and on CNN/MSNBC every other day? He's set himself up for life. He can send any POS grant application down to the NIH now and the study section will fund him because "He's Ashish Jha"!

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

That's the dirty secret of biological research. The NIH plays favorites. Why do you think old Ashish Jha is in the Globe and on CNN/MSNBC every other day? He's set himself up for life. He can send any POS grant application down to the NIH now and the study section will fund him because "He's Ashish Jha"!

He’s no Judah Cohen though. ;)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Well , The main lesson to apply is not to fund Gain of function research that makes disease more dangerous and transmissible to humans and not to cover up the initial spread and punish those that did.

Why did the lancet allow such a biased research paper into its print media and Shape the initial opinions of millions , And why are so many continuing to protect opening the “can of worms” As the lancets latest “investigation into the origins” is once again headlined by a scientist with a incentive to protect his own funding and history since he has been a recipient of gain of function research . When people act like they are covering something up they usually are protecting their A$$

But who cares about that , because that makes some question things they would rather not ? Makes them seem less safe going forward .....I mean ..why are the heros who yell across the street for a stranger to put on a mask while walking ...silent on this potential issue if you “care”

Waiting for the people who benefit from it to finish their research into its orgins ?

I've opined with my usual proclivity, if not actual attempt to induce a popsicle headaches in the reader about this subject matter, already; so  I will only partially over-laboriously offer adjectives that richly impugn the world this time. 

Kidding, but I think you remember our discussion a couple weeks back ? - that -

But abv (bold), I suspect, is a mystique shared right on up to the top ranks of Intelligentsia. Where we find the NSA's, to Pentagon brass' "Hunt For Red October" meetings for Defense Secretaries, to the docs circulated to those with > Delta Clearance at CIA ... FBI, etc, it is more than mere fear of having to inquire into dark realms where they be dragons.  Ha. Nah, for those agencies, those charged with pulling societal ropes, they don't have the luxury of plausibility.  Those nuclei of fact-not-fiction know precisely who left the back door open on this thing, probably right down to the heart beat.

We probably, in part, enjoyed a vaccine emergence so quickly because of that knowledge - but this is all speculation and conversation. I don't believe in conspiracies like that. But as Meteorologists - gee, we are primarily charged with deriving patterns. LOL

But this is a game of "soft" brinkmanship, with pieces of chess-pretense, one where the West "needs" to act like we are feverishly trying to figure out what we already know, moving pawns less than completely consequential around so that we don't have to send in power pieces that ( just in case you don't see the easy metaphor) ... incinerate humanity and end the game over a f'ing virus. 

See, the impetus here is, 'why were they tinkering with the virus'  -

I think we'll find (eventually) that the research will tend to taper off around the gates into the  sovereign institution of the weighty Chinese wherewithal - particularly with them and their shimmering historical precedence in the areas of 'human value.'  

It's  plausible, there's more than resources and/or mere conservation of geodetic identities in play.  It could even be bio-sociologically instructive - ei, that's a WOKE no-no.

I think science will one day encounter its next great juggernaut battle,  ironically,  against the liberals - where most science as an ethic, virtue, and belief had previously found a cozy advocate. Yes, the next great battle against rationalism, much in the same way the war is waged by climate deniers, will be when advancing genetics begins to prove geographical distinctions isolating populations,  engender congenitally driven behavioral and belief tendencies. Basically, concentrated cultural values over thousands of generations, carrying on in mate selection and feed-backs behind geodesic walls, have created "adaptations that that make them less hindered" - to put it nicely.  Those that mold and shape aspect of ethics and virtuosity, included. 

While Liberals sing Kumbaya in enclaves of relative privilege-enabling settings, where modern convenience ... also spanning a lot of generations, has given rise to a cultural narcissism of moral righteousness; one that is really footed in vapid piety, and its naively optimistic insistence clear to the near brink of its own form of fascism. 

It has been espoused in the past, the probing and investigation halted at the doorstop of the KGB in the era post the JFK assassination, probably much for the same reasons if using their plausibility ( proof of concept) as a modeling:    Doom weighting

• Like 1

Getting close to "done deal" status:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-science-suggests-a-wuhan-lab-leak-11622995184

Sure would be nice if there was a reckoning coming for those who caused this global catastrophe and also all those who went along with perpetuating and covering it up, but I doubt it.

If you were one of the people who spent 2020 shutting down all debate on the lab leak theory and squawking that it was "racist," you should feel great shame right now. Take a look at your life and make better choices.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

39 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Getting close to "done deal" status:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-science-suggests-a-wuhan-lab-leak-11622995184

Sure would be nice if there was a reckoning coming for those who caused this global catastrophe and also all those who went along with perpetuating and covering it up, but I doubt it.

If you were one of the people who spent 2020 shutting down all debate on the lab leak theory and squawking that it was "racist," you should feel great shame right now. Take a look at your life and make better choices.

I wanna see the scientists who knowingly promoted bad science to frame the lab leak as nonsense to save their funding into toying w diseases try and jump ship like the money hungry rats they became 

• Like 1

Actually it's a good point -

The 'leaving sick dogs lie' strategy to disperse attention ( so as to evade a conflict destiny it is in the better interest of the world, never is reached ) through miss direction and/or an implied 'aroma' of uncertainty ( when there really is none - ):  That may work better in the last century, when there were just two forms of media: either CBS with Walter Kronkite, or the gossip of Sunday bake sales at the Harper Valley PTA.

Good luck with preventing exposure now - ...

So maybe the above rant should have read,  'the government investigation stops at the sovereign gate of China'

5 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I'll just leave this here for baseball fans wondering about the spectacular pitching performances this year.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/06/04/sticky-stuff-is-the-new-steroids-daily-cover?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I had mentioned that a month or so ago . 

Funny how opposing managers are mum bc their guys do it 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I had mentioned that a month or so ago . 

Funny how opposing managers are mum bc their guys do it 

Yea, you did. The new baseballs still play a role in pitching improvements though and some of the no hitters where thrown by pitchers who claim to not have used any foreign substance but their own saliva. 

• Like 1

What a crazy couple of days. Went to Bruins game one. Then my fiance had to leave town for a fun funeral but I had work. So on a whim I bought tickets to Islanders Bruins at Nassau Coliseum. Wanted to see it before it closes one last time. Never been. Stayed at hotel right across the street. What a blast. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I'll just leave this here for baseball fans wondering about the spectacular pitching performances this year.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/06/04/sticky-stuff-is-the-new-steroids-daily-cover?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Interesting thing is seeing spin rates decrease recently in some good pitchers.  This past week had several note-able pitchers see spin rates crash after this stuff started coming to light.  I’m convinced every pitcher is doing it to some extent, but MLB has known it for decades...but now it’s getting carried away with sophistication.

Of course, just like steroids, everyone is doing it before it gets cracked down on.  This is their livelihood, millions of dollars are at stake, they’ll take every competitive advantage.  And even if they don’t want to, they’ll do it to keep pace with everyone else.

“All eyes will be on Gerrit Cole when he takes the mound Wednesday in Minnesota, after his spin rates dropped significantly in his less-than-dominant start last Thursday against the Rays.

Cole, who blossomed into a superstar upon being traded to the Houston Astros in 2018, has come under some suspicion before. Trevor Bauer, whose own spin rates dropped significantly in a losing start on Sunday, made unspecified accusations a couple of years ago about what Cole, his old UCLA teammate, was doing in Houston.

And then in January, a former clubhouse manager for the Los Angeles Angels named Brian Harkins, who was suing his old team over being fired after MLB had informed the Angels he’d been providing pitchers with a sticky mix of rosin and pine tar, revealed a 2019 text from Cole that indicated the star pitcher was essentially asking for a shipment of the stuff.”

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Interesting thing is seeing spin rates decrease recently in some good pitchers.  This past week had several note-able pitchers see spin rates crash after this stuff started coming to light.  I’m convinced every pitcher is doing it to some extent, but MLB has known it for decades...but now it’s getting carried away with sophistication.

Of course, just like steroids, everyone is doing it before it gets cracked down on.  This is their livelihood, millions of dollars are at stake, they’ll take every competitive advantage.  And even if they don’t want to, they’ll do it to keep pace with everyone else.

“All eyes will be on Gerrit Cole when he takes the mound Wednesday in Minnesota, after his spin rates dropped significantly in his less-than-dominant start last Thursday against the Rays.

Cole, who blossomed into a superstar upon being traded to the Houston Astros in 2018, has come under some suspicion before. Trevor Bauer, whose own spin rates dropped significantly in a losing start on Sunday, made unspecified accusations a couple of years ago about what Cole, his old UCLA teammate, was doing in Houston.

And then in January, a former clubhouse manager for the Los Angeles Angels named Brian Harkins, who was suing his old team over being fired after MLB had informed the Angels he’d been providing pitchers with a sticky mix of rosin and pine tar, revealed a 2019 text from Cole that indicated the star pitcher was essentially asking for a shipment of the stuff.”

I still think the spike in pitching and decrease in hitting this season is not a direct result of pitchers suddenly and collectively using sticky stuff to increase spin rates. Before this season, offense/home runs was surging so pitchers had to find ways to negate the ‘juiced ball’. MLB made changes to the baseball in the offseason to help pitching so with record breaking no hitters to date, suddenly the sticky substance becomes a talking point...I’m not completely sold on it. The spin rate sample size is way to small for me to declare that this is the case.

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I think they should let pitchers use substances on the balls and also allow hitters to use PEDs and corked bats. We should allow the competitive arms race to go crazy, would be very entertaining.

They have. Sami Sosa, McGuire, Clemens, etc etc on roids. Gaylord perry threw a spit ball. Joe Niekro got caught with a nail file. A lot of pitchers sharpened the metal snap on their pants to cut the ball. Clay Buckholtz used bullfrog sunscreen on his cap bill. Whitey Ford used mud and pine tar. 

1 minute ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

They have. Sami Sosa, McGuire, Clemens, etc etc on roids. Gaylord perry threw a spit ball. Joe Niekro got caught with a nail file. A lot of pitchers sharpened the metal snap on their pants to cut the ball. Clay Buckholtz used bullfrog sunscreen on his cap bill. Whitey Ford used mud and pine tar. 

Well, that was all done "against the rules" right? I get that MLB have may overlooked things.

I am saying just write that stuff into the rulebook. Not everything. You can't have an arm-mounted electric ball-launcher. The MLB is really good at writing detailed rules for every scenario. I'm sure they can figure it out.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Well, that was all done "against the rules" right? I get that MLB have may overlooked things.

I am saying just write that stuff into the rulebook. Not everything. You can't have an arm-mounted electric ball-launcher. The MLB is really good at writing detailed rules for every scenario. I'm sure they can figure it out.

MLB knows and they dont really care. They may tsk tsk, but that’s perfunctory. They’ll never write in into the file book. 

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I still think the spike in pitching and decrease in hitting this season is not a direct result of pitchers suddenly and collectively using sticky stuff to increase spin rates. Before this season, offense/home runs was surging so pitchers had to find ways to negate the ‘juiced ball’. MLB made changes to the baseball in the offseason to help pitching so with record breaking no hitters to date, suddenly the sticky substance becomes a talking point...I’m not completely sold on it. The spin rate sample size is way to small for me to declare that this is the case.

Go look at Kyle Crick's slider. It's ridiculous trying to even hit a pitch with nearly 2 feet of horizontal movement - it doesn't even look real. He spins up to 3500 RPM which is crazy because I think high 2000s used to be the god benchmark that few could reach.

• Like 2

Not sure if there are any auto racing fans here, but Stafford Speedway in CT will be in the National Spotlight Sat night as Tony Stewart/Ray Evernham launch their SRX racing series live on CBS. I guess it’s billed to be similar to the former IROC series but racing at grassroot tracks both pavement and dirt

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snowman21 said:

Go look at Kyle Crick's slider. It's ridiculous trying to even hit a pitch with nearly 2 feet of horizontal movement - it doesn't even look real. He spins up to 3500 RPM which is crazy because I think high 2000s used to be the god benchmark that few could reach.

Wow, that moves like it’s a whiffle ball  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1