Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Few Tstms with hail-gust 40-45KT 1P-6P especially NJ/se NYS/w LI

wdrag

5 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Can’t speak for the record but there’s been hail large enough to damage cars within the last few years or so as a result of the sea breeze front driven storms in the summer, I think they were in the Mineola/Garden City area. 

Thunder here right now but I might get split by the storms coming through now. Looks like some small hail maybe in south central Nassau and northern Nassau near Glen Cove. 

There was a real nasty hail event in May or June of 94 in Rego Park/Forest Hills where they got about 2-3 minutes of 1.75-2.00 inch hail.  It cracked the windows in 2 places on my dad's car...he was driving about 25-30 at the time which probably did not help

• Thanks 1

At approximately 2:20 pm, this date, small funnel cloud crossed the area of James Baird State Park in Dutchess County.  This is the township of Lagrange which encompasses the Taconic State Parkway.  Initially the front was accompanied by heavy rain and sporadic cloud to ground lightning which eventually became a very light green cloud cover, heavy rain, minimal pea size hail and gusty winds...the funnel cloud remained several hundred feet above the tree tops.

When I saw the upgrade to slight risk include Long Island I knew to temper my expectations. The bar for anything decent here is already in hell, but that’s almost always a kiss of death.

0.20”. No wild temp swings here, just a gradual descent, currently 42.

6 minutes ago, Blizzwalker said:

Taken by my son around 2 PM today at airport where he works in Lagrangeville NY. Looks tornadic...

IMG_20210421_232842.jpg

how can you tell?  because of the wall cloud?  i mean i assumed that was a wall cloud, and if it's in the middle of a wall cloud that's a good hint right?

5 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

There was a real nasty hail event in May or June of 94 in Rego Park/Forest Hills where they got about 2-3 minutes of 1.75-2.00 inch hail.  It cracked the windows in 2 places on my dad's car...he was driving about 25-30 at the time which probably did not help

Thats the one!  I was away on summer vacation when I got back I heard that there was really large hail in SW Nassau and a car dealership had thousands of dollars worth of damage to their cars.  In the newspaper report it was listed as 6" hail which must've been wrong, 2" sounds closer to reality.  It only lasted 2-3 minutes?  Was it a middle of the day event?