John1122

February 17-18th Winter Storm Thread.

6 minutes ago, Wintersnow888 said:

Don't see it getting to 30 here tomorrow, do you? Does that mean TWC going with a different model than NWS , since snow and ice totals are much higher ?

That's tomorrow nights low actually. They are saying it'll get to 37 during the day. It's hard to imagine at the moment, but it could get that warm. Wouldn't surprise me either way.

4 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

It was either 2018 or 15. I cannot remember but I 100% remember the setup and what actually happened. Ober Gatlinburg had rain with mid 40’s. I’m 10 miles N of Knoxville and never broke freezing, ended up with 4-8” of snow and a little sleet.

It seems like I remember it being talked about before, I just couldn't remember how it played out here. I know in 2018 here we didn't have much snow at all though. I kinda think I remember it though and Knoxville got a lot more snow than us and we had maybe a dusting.

• Like 2

It looks currently like a lot of models are lining up in agreement for this to maybe be a mostly rain event for me in Lincoln County, seven miles above Alabama. I sure hope so. All the best to others facing another sinter storm. It looks like we may not advance past advisory status on this one, as of now. Things will be clearer, of course, tomorrow morning.

The purple has slid a little east because I’m in it now but wasn’t being.

Same I'm now right on the edge of the purple/pink, I wasn't the last run.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

It was either 2018 or 15. I cannot remember but I 100% remember the setup and what actually happened. Ober Gatlinburg had rain with mid 40’s. I’m 10 miles N of Knoxville and never broke freezing, ended up with 4-8” of snow and a little sleet.

It would be 2015 then bc 2018 was not a kind year to the eastern valley.

• Like 2

In regard to that previous storm-it was February 21, 2015. I just went back and found it. I’ll put a snippet in banter since it’s not pertaining to this storm, although it would be nice for some if it could play out this way and it would be terrible for others.

• Like 1

The GFS is struggling with this, the Para is not having the waffling.  

I wonder if the hi-res are better able to see the cold in place? 

The 12k NAM is lower res than the para-GFS, Euro, RGem, and obviously the HRRR and RAP. The 3k NAM has way better res than the 12k and GFS and is pretty wintery, especially compared to the 12k. 

6 minutes ago, Jed33 said:

In regard to that previous storm-it was February 21, 2015. I just went back and found it. I’ll put a snippet in banter since it’s not pertaining to this storm, although it would be nice for some if it could play out this way and it would be terrible for others.

Lol oh yeah we were all rain for that event...just 24 degrees. 

This has minor nuisance slop written all over it for me.  Not expecting half what some of the models are showing and it'll get washed away regardless.  The kids will get virtual again though, I'm sure.

• Like 2