• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 17-18th Winter Storm Thread.

John1122

MRX is acting like there will be no front end thump of snow for the valley in the morning disco.  They tend to always look the other way when the models say anything about snow chances.  Stick fingers in ears.   Put hands over eyes.    Repeat the mantra, "it never snows in the valley".   The unfortunate reality is, it works most of the time.

It does blast the warmth in after that though. 

Yet the sounding over IMBY looks kinda snowy, even though it says sleet. Full saturation in the DGZ, very shallow warm nose that all that forcing and rates might mitigate. At least a sleet/snow mix I would say on this NAM run, anyway:

GHApHao.png

circled area is the sounding:

yUWDGuk.png

I wish Jack Sillin was doing what he did for that storm a few days ago, where he used RAOB data to analyze model output. That was helpful. Would be nice to see how what's left of the TPV is acting like a pseudo 50/50 low and causing confluence over NE, vs how models are seeing it. NAM seems to be playing catch up with that feature, but being the warmest model, it could still be right with eventual evolution, even if how it sees us getting there is wrong, lol. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Here's how the RAP sees the precip types:

giphy.gif

Here's what it sees as the sounding around Chatt at 2 AM Thursday:

Appz0jw.png

It says rain, but shows mix and it is sooooo close with that forcing to being all snow. 

I honestly find the soundings way more wrong than the map output from the models. Mainly it works against us. It often shows frozen on the sounding but rain on the model output and its rarely frozen and not rain. 

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

I honestly find the soundings way more wrong than the map output from the models. Mainly it works against us. It often shows frozen on the sounding but rain on the model output and its rarely frozen and not rain. 

Yeah this is the first time I've had access to soundings from some of these models and the differences between what the precip type says, what the precip type shows on the model output, and what the sounding looks like seem a little wonky. 

1 minute ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Yeah this is the first time I've had access to soundings from some of these models and the differences between what the precip type says, what the precip type shows on the model output, and what the sounding looks like seem a little wonky. 

Yesterday the NAM sounding had my dewpoint higher than my temperature. So wonky to say the least. 

With the NAM now coming in line, looks like most modeling is now showing a total mess for the NE Valley and potential well SE of that - even southeast of TYS.  Yesterday, I kind of cast a wary eye towards such a quick flip...but it is freakin' cold out there right now.  Wind chills here are in the mid to upper teens.  I know we are supposed to hit the 40s tomorrow...but this is fresh, cold air...not the stagnant stuff that usually sets up most ice storms.  Cold air can definitely get moved around quickly - not saying that.   I have seen very cold air masses evacuated within an hour.  However, as flat as this storm is trending, it may weaken the warm nose or even blunt it.  It would not surprise me to see northern sections of the valley(SW VA) stay frozen most of the way with this.  The flatter it gets, the more it behaves as a slider along the KY/TN/VA borders.  Models since yesterday morning have signaled frozen precip, and increasingly so. Still not a ton of consistency with amounts, and I don't expect that to change.  Right now, looks like sloppiest city!

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic