Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Feb 15 - midday Feb 16, 2021 Significant Winter Ice Event interior

wdrag

Just now, HVSnowLover said:

I think the storm on Monday is ruining the storm on Tuesday (or saving) depending on your perspective. Without that wave to warm things up we would have had a sleet/zr event to the coast. Now I think its plain rain south of I287 although still tricky forecast just NW of the city.   

whenever the NAO is going into positive territory and the southeast ridge is gaining strength the cold air at all levels along the coast can't stay in place......

10 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

over 9 inches of sleet ??? I will believe that when I see it too.....

The algo is counting all frozen precip as snow.  So if the snow map is showing 9", it's not showing 9" of sleet, it's showing 9" of snow.  Don't use snow maps in these types of setups (or ever).  Go back to the basics to figure out precip type.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Oh I hope. My go to model is GFS v.16 it absolutely nailed the blizzard and follow up storm.

here is your GFSv16 - This is probably the most likely outcome with a stronger southeast ridge and positive NAO developing - can see the outline of the southeast ridge on it

snku_acc.conus.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HVSnowLover said:

Everything came a bit south, still mainly ice for your area but the snow line is closer to you 

question now is are we going to start trending back towards the colder solutions of a couple days ago ?? - last 2 storms started to trend back too their original solutions just before the storm began.......

• Weenie 1

5PM check in: Kind of looks like a 12-18 modest ice storm ~0.15-0.40" glaze for the I84 corridor, especially high terrain.  Non-freezing rain will probably encroach to near I80 in NJ and southern CT near I95. Here's a graphic from WPC.   Probably begins late 15 and ends Tuesday sometime toward midday?  At 536PM, added the new 72 hour statistical prob of 1/4" glaze. Pretty high prob down here in NNJ. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 5.04.13 PM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-02-13_at_5_32.40_PM.png

• Like 1