• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major LES Events- Feb 5-?

41 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

That’s SBS and my old stomping grounds lol. I’m on the edge of the 8-12 and 12-18 zone. I think they are going to bust hard on this one especially from the north side of the city out to Amherst. I’m fully expecting less than 4” total here and if I’m wrong I’ll be glad to admit it. 

You’ve brought me into your camp...although this one isn’t for us, both the 0z and 6z GFS both had WNY over 18” of snow due to synoptic and probably some shifting bands next week. We’ll all get ours.

56 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

BUF holding the line still!  Even added a 18-24” zone right over my head... 

Southwest flow lake band should have its act together by early this
evening with nearly all mesoscale guidance focusing the strongest
band over far northern Erie country, Grand Island into southern
Niagara county. Snowfall rates could exceed 1" per hour for a few
hours across this area, before steering winds veer slightly to more
west-southwest drifting the heart of an intensifying lake band more
into the central Erie county, including the city of Buffalo and
Buffalo Southtowns, but likely remaining north of the more typical
lake effect snow areas of southern Erie county. Instead, this event should remain
centered on the city of Buffalo and the Southtowns through Saturday.  Snowfall rates of 1"/hr will be
likely with the best chance of seeing 2" per hour rates late tonight
into Saturday morning. The snow band will begin to diminish late
Saturday afternoon, but likely will not completely end until the
boundary layer winds become more disorganized and drier air moves in
later Saturday evening.

55EB2A96-C42C-41EC-B2F2-D91A92E74F8E.png

8578865F-DC71-4DA2-8EED-B1B360E087DA.png

I think his one smokes you.

27 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

He’s still sitting in his corner screaming why the NWS won’t follow the model output... His model has me in a 2-4” snow hole vs 18-24” on NWS map. 

35B187C6-FEBD-400A-99A4-6C2458213DF9.jpeg

It’s gotta be tough to forecast right now for SB. Half the models show a snow hole half the models show it the bullseye. I personally think it’ll be closer to the bullseye than a snow hole but you never know living in the “transition zone”. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

That’s SBS and my old stomping grounds lol. I’m on the edge of the 8-12 and 12-18 zone. I think they are going to bust hard on this one especially from the north side of the city out to Amherst. I’m fully expecting less than 4” total here and if I’m wrong I’ll be glad to admit it. 

I haven’t been feeling this one either. It seems like there are three possible outcomes for lake storms forecasted to hit the northern part of the metro: bust, sloppy seconds in an itinerant, share-the-wealth event, or jackpot. To get a jackpot, things have to line up perfectly and there has to be unbroken model consistency for days. As a result, a bust is the most likely outcome. The best we have been able to hope for over the last nearly 20 years is that a firehose band passes over us a few times on its way to settling in the southtowns. This storm looked great for the northern metro until about 36 hours out, but once models stated depicting a flow veering towards WSW, the game was over. At this point we will be lucky to get a half foot.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WNash said:

I haven’t been feeling this one either. It seems like there are three possible outcomes for lake storms forecasted to hit the northern part of the metro: bust, sloppy seconds in an itinerant, share-the-wealth event, or jackpot. To get a jackpot, things have to line up perfectly and there has to be unbroken model consistency for days. As a result, a bust is the most likely outcome. The best we have been able to hope for over the last nearly 20 years is that a firehose band passes over us a few times on its way to settling in the southtowns. This storm looked great for the northern metro until about 36 hours out, but once models stated depicting a flow veering towards WSW, the game was over. At this point we will be lucky to get a half foot.

I mean we did get, well I did at least, 14.5” after Christmas and it was picked over for a bit, same with 2018 January blizzard but yes your point is taken. Still this one isn’t over yet... NWS doesn’t like to bust if they don’t have to do I’m still somewhat hopeful...

6z Hi Res Canadian regional...

Verbatim, the band doesn't start forming til 23z Friday and again disintegrates by 21z Saturday so less than 24 hours, but precip and max snowfall on kuchera actually ticked up from 0z run. Overall placement seems very consistent with the 2 previous runs.

2113234002_hrdps-buffalo-precip_24hr_inch-2645200(1).thumb.png.736c476710dd3168a7ff01cbd739b2a8.png1152582288_hrdps-buffalo-total_snow_kuchera-2645200(1).thumb.png.d8de36fe8aca57e6b60597c0f094fa03.png

42 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I mean we did get, well I did at least, 14.5” after Christmas and it was picked over for a bit, same with 2018 January blizzard but yes your point is taken. Still this one isn’t over yet... NWS doesn’t like to bust if they don’t have to do I’m still somewhat hopeful...

The post-Christmas storm was great, but it was a step down from the N Buffalo/ Northtowns blockbuster that global models showed until the mesoscale models were within range. As it turned out, it was one of the best storms of the past decade, but it in no ways was a northern metro jackpot. Storms like that one are how the northern part of the metro reaches seasonal snowfall averages, but it was definitely a southtowns jackpot that we were lucky enough to see back over the northern metro a couple of times, and which had a nice residency as far north as a S Buffalo to KBUF line.

I’ll take the weenie tag on this, but every season I hold out hope for a pure SW flow bomb that sits still for a day or more and buries N Buffalo and the northtowns. They are infrequent at best in good times, but we’re now approaching 20+ years (15 of you count the October 2006 storm, but that one seems to be climatologically unique in Buffalo’s recorded history). With the lake freezing up, I think the storm today and tomorrow is our last shot for this year.

E12124A4-B5CF-4073-98C3-A28D8C34DE1D.png

1 minute ago, Thinksnow18 said:

And it looks like those inside the 190-290 loop get passed over due to the strong winds...I still think this is a “share the wealth” band...I’d be happy with 8 or 10 inches.

In Nov 2014 we had 40 mph wind gusts that didn't disrupt the band. But usually high winds are a recipe for disaster for strong LES events.

• Like 1