• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major LES Events- Feb 5-?

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Nov 2000 the forecast was for 6-12" if I remember correctly and we got 25". You never know with now cast LES events.

Agreed. And I remember that storm very well too. I was driving back from Syracuse university and remember the band was supposed to be mostly north towns then swing quickly to the south, instead it stalled square over the metro and well that mess happened with the schools and kids, crazy for sure.

9 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

And it looks like those inside the 190-290 loop get passed over due to the strong winds...I still think this is a “share the wealth” band...I’d be happy with 8 or 10 inches.

Hell  I’d be happy with 6” of wind driven snow at this point. Our snowpack survived the “thaw” pretty good yesterday and we still have a good 4” of glacier pack. Give me 6” of wind driven snow on top and I’ll take my chances with all the possible scenarios next week and be a happy camper. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Hell  I’d be happy with 6” of wind driven snow at this point. Our snowpack survived the “thaw” pretty good yesterday and we still have a good 4” of glacier pack. Give me 6” of wind driven snow on top and I’ll take my chances with all the possible scenarios next week and be a happy camper. 

Yea like I said earlier this will be a true week of winter. Multiple opportunities synoptic and mesoscale 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Yeah our long duration LES event is more intermittent now as several synoptic systems are on the table..Gfs wants to phase in the PV next weekend..So it may be hit or miss on the LES front..

If the PV is that close there will be unmodeled shortwaves moving through changing the flow. Can almost guarantee it. Need to get short range models into play. It's a great look. But Lake Erie will be completely frozen in 2 weeks time.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Yeah our long duration LES event is more intermittent now as several synoptic systems are on the table..Gfs wants to phase in the PV next weekend..So it may be hit or miss on the LES front..

Interesting model battle there for next weekend. Like you said, GFS drops the PV on us while Euro has it about 1,500 miles northwest over the Canadian archipelago while we mild up a bit.  Let’s see which way Euro goes at 12z. Such a huge difference at that lead time though is pretty remarkable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

LOL you'll get more than that just gotta get that band cranking early for us to have a shot at some good snowfall totals.:guitar:

4 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Looking at most of meso models you can take niagara and Orleans out of wwa and add monroe

Here’s the point that actually takes all those mesos and debunks them...sho me which one has a band that formed over the Niagara peninsula...I’ll help you it’s zero...there is some snow showers south of buff and in fact I’m getting some flakes here in Williamsville, but, you can actually see the formation of the full stretch of the lake... that’s the band IMO, that will head south over the course of the afternoon and in fact is mentioned by the NWS text...NWS 1, all other models 0

47 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Is there a temperature that’s too cold for LES? I mean the colder the drier it probably is.

Thinking of keeping my powder dry this weekend. Looks solid, but I’m only coming out there for a blockbuster event. :weenie: 

Not really. It impacts Erie as the lake freezes. The dendrites are sometimes smaller and don't accumulate as quickly. But there have been many single digit LES Events.

This one I remember vividly. 22" here for the event and 60" max off Tug.

image.thumb.png.d12f5156e7ab69ab77d8c6348be80b22.png

The frigid airmass, with 850mb temperatures of 25 to 30 C below, charged 
across the Northern Plains to the Upper Mississippi Valley during 
the weekend leading up to the event.  Climatologically, this set the 
stage for a significant lake effect snow event.  The largest lake 
snows in the Buffalo metro area typically occur when the cold air 
lifts out of the Ohio Valley and up the full axis of Lake Erie, 
rather than taking a direct route from the Upper Great Lakes or 
Southern Ontario.  The slow track of the upper level vortex and its 
associated surface low were also recognized as key elements to 
portend a crippling snowfall. 
This pattern recognition played a huge role in forecasting this 
event.  Lake effect snow watches were issued three full days ahead 
of the event with lake effect snow warnings issued over 30 hours 
before significant snows accumulated.  As the event unfolded, 
blizzard warnings were issued in the Buffalo Metro area for the 
first time since 1993.  The likelihood of blizzard conditions and 
snowfall amounts of 5 to 6 feet (for the Tug Hill) were discussed in 
the Area Forecast Discussion and with various radio media outlets 
days before the event.  
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Thinksnow18 said:

Still not budging. Your thoughts BW? I re-read the WWA for Niagara county...it does mention the band forming north then sinking south this evening...is that the main band forming over the Niagara peninsula?

My thoughts are watch the radar and enjoy! It's now casting time. Anything can happen tonight!

• Like 4