• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Aqua-Docs
    Newest Member
    Aqua-Docs

Central PA - Jan 31 to Feb 2 Winter Storm

Unless I'm radar hallucinating, it almost looks like dry air is attacking the region on two fronts. One from the south and one from the northwest. The snow has lightened considerably here though during the last hour, so maybe it's real. Future radar builds it back, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. 

I did hit the semi-magical 20 inch mark, however. Not sure if I'll get the 24 inch holy grail, though.

3 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Unless I'm radar hallucinating, it almost looks like dry air is attacking the region on two fronts. One from the south and one from the northwest. The snow has lightened considerably here though uring the last hour, so maybe it's real. Future radar builds it back, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. 

I did hit the semi-magical 20 inch mark, however. Not sure if I'll get the 24 inch holy grail, though.

yeah dry air can be so strange for a storm why here and not over there kind of thing. yeah future radar builds it back but have been told future radar sucks pretty much. like earlier tonight it showed no dry slot or break in the precip at all till 1am.

39 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

How much do you have so far?

I'm not 100 % sure because I slept from 8am till 1pm.The temp was 35 when I woke up and I did have some compaction...but my best guess is 5 - 5.5"

At 10:00pm in Carlisle it continues to snow lightly.  During the past hour only an additional 0.1" of snow has fallen.  This brings the daily total to 5.6" and the 2-day storm total to 9.3".  I'm only 1.1" away from my goal.  Maybe by overnight one more good band comes through.  Temp now holding at 30.6 degrees.

I just looked out the door in Williamsport.  Little to nothing going on.  Is that band going to come our way or will it stay right to our south?  

9 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Yea it took 36hrs but finally getting the best snows of the storm. Nice @Wmsptwx effect band. 

89D47656-49E5-4AC4-A44B-5FE639C37B37.thumb.png.c9e407fc6a9b5688a2c3cb9704d26009.png

Nice...Good luck.

3 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Looks like @MAG5035 is getting raked pretty good right now with some dark bands dropping down over him.  The guy up in Wellsboro looks to be doing quite well now also.

Up to 7.5" total now with about 1.5" of that coming in the last couple hours. Moderate to heavy snow and nice flakes. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

I just looked out the door in Williamsport.  Little to nothing going on.  Is that band going to come our way or will it stay right to our south?  

It’s snowing here, must be south of town mainly, but you definitely could get some more there’s some precipitation still pinwheeling down from northeast.

• Like 1

I am not making this up: Channel 16 news commercial just said 3 dead over a dispute -- about snow.  I cannot believe I just typed this.  I wish I heard it wrong.  

There's been no snow on the radar for 2 hours now but it's still snowing lol and yeah i made sure to check that it wasn't because of all the blowing snow. I don't remember ever seeing this. It's not like flurries but like a steady light snow

8 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

I am not making this up: Channel 16 news commercial just said 3 dead over a dispute -- about snow.  I cannot believe I just typed this.  I wish I heard it wrong.  

Mid Atlantic forum??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Mid Atlantic forum??

Channel 16 is the ABC station in Scranton-Wilkes-Barre.

1 minute ago, anotherman said:

He was joking since they can be combative about people sharing snow totals.

No joke.  They just repeated before going to commercial: three people dead and snow.  Story coming up.  Amazing they didn't start with the deaths but with weather stories around the area. 

It was a murder-suicide involving a couple and their neighbor.  It happened about 9:00 this morning.  The couple had a 15 year old special needs child.  They mentioned shovelling but were not more specific.

Just now, CoralRed said:

No joke.  They just repeated before going to commercial: three people dead and snow.  Story coming up.  Amazing they didn't start with the deaths but with weather stories around the area. 

It was a murder-suicide involving a couple and their neighbor.  It happened about 9:00 this morning.  The couple had a 15 year old special needs child.  They mentioned shovelling but were not more specific.

Do you guys do the whole saving parking spots with chairs thing around your way??

"The Plains Township police chief says they believe this followed an argument between neighbors over shoveling snow from the storm.

"The bodies of the two victims of the gunfire from the shooter were both outside. One is the middle of the street; one is between two parked cars. That is a husband and wife. There is the person believed to be the victim the suicide victim who is the aggressor and shooter is in one of their residences, his own residence," Sanguedolce said."

https://www.wnep.com/mobile/article/news/local/luzerne-county/plains-township-double-murder-suicide-snow-shoveling/523-87e8249a-8c8c-4cd2-9a39-ce625c8ff94c

33 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

“This is what happens Larry, this is what happens when you clean somebody’s snow board”

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

I saw an article about that this afternoon from one of the local news stations here. DA quoted as saying there was some long running dispute between them but sounds like whatever they disagreed about with the snow was the tipping point. Still insane either way. 

Salavantis said the preliminary investigation indicates that there was a long-running dispute among the parties involved, but “this morning, the dispute was exacerbated by a disagreement over snow disposal.”

https://wjactv.com/news/nation-world/police-3-dead-in-pennsylvania-shooting-in-fight-over-snow-removal

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Do you guys do the whole saving parking spots with chairs thing around your way??

Yea that's a thing here at least. I'm glad I have a driveway and don't have to worry about any street parking. 

7 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Plains Township is in Northeastern PA and I am in North Central PA. I don't know what they do over there.  The news report said the neighbor was across the street so the argument may have been about parking spaces and not shovelling sidewalks.  I just don't know.

12 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

Plains Township is in Northeastern PA and I am in North Central PA. I don't know what they do over there.  The news report said the neighbor was across the street so the argument may have been about parking spaces and not shovelling sidewalks.  I just don't know.

I'm guessing this was an outgoing thing and the one neighbor finally had enough. Pretty crazy regardless and unfortunate. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Light to moderate snow, 8.4” now.

5CFDC215-04D4-4946-8F1F-91D1D0398131.thumb.jpeg.ecbef7678f10d758cbf984424ed47248.jpeg7CD3510E-4636-46FC-A155-2FAA9E65318C.thumb.jpeg.5272c9f88b5158a2e0ff2353b6e4bfb0.jpeg

Think you have a shot at double digits if stuff holds together through night. You’re due for a coastal plain runner where west central is jackpotted.

Here is more. It is not nice.  I wonder who started it all and whether mental illness was involved.  

Plains Township Police Sgt Michael Smith told The Citizens Voice that Spaide, who lived alone, came outside with a handgun and shot the Goys, then went back inside and brought out an AR-15 style rifle.

‘He retrieved the rifle and shot them again,’ Smith said.

Both James & Lisa Goy were fired at an additional two times.

When officers went to his house to arrest him, Smith said, ‘Spaide shot himself.’

[...]

Apparently there’s been an ongoing dispute between neighbors, some of which involved a dispute about snow disposal and removal,’ District Attorney Sanguedolce told the Citizens Voice. ‘They’re across the street from each other, and when they would remove snow they would throw it across the street at the other person’s property.’

https://scallywagandvagabond.com/2021/02/plains-township-murder-suicide-snow-shoveling-dispute-leaves-three-dead/