Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant upper middle Atlantic S/CNE mix/snow potential Jan 3+

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I may look dumb putting myself out here for this: but in the past 24-36 hours of following these runs: 

I remain stubborn in expecting an event. Even if it’s just 3 inches 

run to run to me has simply not been consistent enough to call it off at this point.

I'm sure there will be an "event," it's just the heavy precip will be offshore. Some areas will get clipped with a couple inches and the Maine coast may get some extended precip deal.

Bruce Willis was overreacting with the warnings. :( 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, It's Always Sunny said:

I certainly think there is a lot of potential here for a few reasons:

1. Norlun trough setup, so someone could certainly get a crush job

2. Coastal cut-off --> long duration snow event

3. Firehose potential perhaps?

Curious to see what others think I'm definitely intrigued by it

I have more interest in my daughter's shitty diaper than playing pin the tale on the mythical make believe norlun.

I still think this comes NW, though....not a blizzard, but a decent event.

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Give Bruce a chance as we saw what happened two weeks ago when Brian got 34”. There may be some energy ahead of it that models are keying on, but I’d like to see a few more runs before writing anything off. 

Yeah I'm definitely not sold on these near-whiffs. I'm not telling people to expect these obscene amounts, but that baroclinic leaf is likely to be further NW than many show unless we see changes aloft. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I'm definitely not sold on these near-whiffs. I'm not telling people to expect these obscene amounts, but that baroclinic leaf is likely to be further NW than many show unless we see changes aloft. 

Why are the models all showing a surface depiction weak and SE with the upper air setup still suggesting a more NW solution? Just weird that they are all SE now, we don't have any weenie runs left.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If this thing ticks NW just a bit coastal MA is right back in it. Still lots for models to resolve especially with these cutoff events they're tricky to pin down sometimes as you know.

My NWS forecast still calls for RAIN with this. Call me crazy but for recent years I’ve relied on model runs right up to the event for winter wx. Because NWS forecasts, by the time they’re compiled, are old by the time they launch and then they age 12 hours more by the time the next package comes out.

theyre still essential for the masses, but yeah

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Why are the models all showing a surface depiction weak and SE with the upper air setup still suggesting a more NW solution? Just weird that they are all SE now, we don't have any weenie runs left.

A couple reasons....the models often focus on the sfc baroclinic zone which starts well SE of the ULL....but typically, the ULL will "tug" it northwest with time....in this case, they may be keying on little piece of energy embedded in the flow ahead of the main vortmax or convection which doesn't allow it to get yanked NW. 

The second reason is the models often underdo the actual vortmax strength in my experience. It will get stronger as we approach verification. They seem to weaken or damp them out too quickly.

That said, the E models could be right. I'm not totally dismissing them. I'm just being skeptical of them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

A couple reasons....the models often focus on the sfc baroclinic zone which starts well SE of the ULL....but typically, the ULL will "tug" it northwest with time....in this case, they may be keying on little piece of energy embedded in the flow ahead of the main vortmax or convection which doesn't allow it to get yanked NW. 

The second reason is the models often underdo the actual vortmax strength in my experience. It will get stronger as we approach verification. They seem to weaken or damp them out too quickly.

That said, the E models could be right. I'm not totally dismissing them. I'm just being skeptical of them. 

It's definitely interesting, I have already noticed up here that the usual situations where I would throw in the towel in MD on getting snow can be overcome up here. Things seem a lot more volatile around here on the models with these coastals. Big shifts are the norm.

Still time to fix things. Hopefully a solid 06z jump NW which leads to a 12z return for everyone. Seems to be a classic routine.

Once in like Feb 2002 we were suppose to get 1-3 inches of snow in Westerly; right up to the event but the event missed us and the snow stayed offshore to the south. 
Anyone remember that?

random I know but it was a memory from my glory days of being 17

but the winter of 2001-2002, my first in Southern New England, was a total DUD for south coast. 4 inches total of snow for the season IIRC