Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

1 minute ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

For real. Looked like the 3k was going to be just as good if not better. Be interested to see what the rest of the 12Z suite looks like. 

Placement of the SLP tho at 72 on gfs looks a little wonky compared to 6z. 6z much closer to coastline but precip panels look even more NW than previous run.

Gfs para looks to be a juice bomb at 60 getting ready to turn nw as well

@66 and @72 @BornAgain13 might not want to look could give you a heart attack. Just an absolute mauling. Very Nam’ish 

solid 6-10” event for NC mountains/southern va. Even some accumulation back into the NW triad. Haven’t looked at 850s or upstairs to see if it’s all snow.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Gfs para looks to be a juice bomb at 60 getting ready to turn nw as well

@66 and @72 @BornAgain13 might not want to look could give you a heart attack. Just an absolute mauling. Very Nam’ish 

Yeah that deserves a boom. Plastering from WNC up through VA. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WXNewton said:

GFS para 850s trend over the last 3 runs

trend-gfs_para-2021020412-f066.850th.us_ma.gif

Two more adjustments like that and you'll all be traveling to Snowshoe WV for the Superbowl Party.  

This conversation around lack of upper air data due to Covid airline traffic reductions has me very intrigued.  Has this been quantified anywhere?  Did we lose 50%, 70% of our inputs?  What is the likely downstream impact of that missing data on each model?  Is one model more suspect to error now?  I'd love to read any articles if anybody has one.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kvegas-wx said:

Two more adjustments like that and you'll all be traveling to Snowshoe WV for the Superbowl Party.  

This conversation around lack of upper air data due to Covid airline traffic reductions has me very intrigued.  Has this been quantified anywhere?  Did we lose 50%, 70% of our inputs?  What is the likely downstream impact of that missing data on each model?  Is one model more suspect to error now?  I'd love to read any articles if anybody has one.

I posted an article in the whine thread

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

I posted an article in the whine thread

Found it, many thanks!  I would love to understand where we are with this issue today knowing flight schedules are still at a massive deficit vs pre-March 2020.  The article stated that the used data points (reports) were down between 40-66% in March of 2020 and had the greatest impact on accuracy inside of 24 hours, but also degraded accuracy all the way out to 7 days.  Highly directional assumption, but in an area prone to forecast busts over 2-3 degrees (southeast forum), this could certainly explain a lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Found it, many thanks!  I would love to understand where we are with this issue today knowing flight schedules are still at a massive deficit vs pre-March 2020.  The article stated that the used data points (reports) were down between 40-66% in March of 2020 and had the greatest impact on accuracy inside of 24 hours, but also degraded accuracy all the way out to 7 days.  Highly directional assumption, but in an area prone to forecast busts over 2-3 degrees (southeast forum), this could certainly explain a lot.

Found this link dated 27 Oct 2020. It references the loss of airline data being as much as 90%.

“One of the many unfortunate aspects of the COVID-19 crisis has been the severe loss – of up to 90% - of aircraft-derived meteorological data as a result of the steep decline in airline operations and passenger flights since March 2020,” said WMO Secretary-General Professor Petteri Taalas.

WMO and IATA Agree to Improve Aircraft Meteorological Reporting

For late next week, one key to the storm lies in what happens out west.  The GFS moved toward dropping a trough along the West Canadian coast mid week, right at the time when we need ridging building in, and the storm is kicked out too soon before the cold high has a chance to move in.  The new CMC has some ridging there instead, and has a storm along the coast next weekend...better timing, better result.  Let's see what the Euro says

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Found this link dated 27 Oct 2020. It references the loss of airline data being as much as 90%.

One of the many unfortunate aspects of the COVID-19 crisis has been the severe loss  of up to 90% - of aircraft-derived meteorological data as a result of the steep decline in airline operations and passenger flights since March 2020,” said WMO Secretary-General Professor Petteri Taalas.

WMO and IATA Agree to Improve Aircraft Meteorological Reporting

That's simply incredible.  I would love to hear @msuwxMatthew's take on this.  I'm sure it has been discussed by the red tag community.  This would make an enormous difference in the accuracy of any forecast (temp, humidity, wind) leading up to an event.  And it would affect all models.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1