• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

FWIW (not much) euro was close to setting up something big around day 12. It’s dropping a lobe of the weakened displaced TPV down into the Ohio valley and phasing.  Look at the h5 loop at the end. Would have been interesting to see that play out another 48 hours just for digital fantasy fun. 

• Weenie 1

4 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I got 90” of rain in 2018, which I just assumed was a once-in-a-lifetime outlier with some assistance from El Nino. But then I got nearly 80” last year from a La Nina. I’m not a climatologist but something isn’t right. The number of rainy days isn’t really increasing but the rain events are just carrying more moisture every time now here.

By quite a few metrics, Southern Maryland is already in the very northern range of "humid subtropical" climate.  So we're probably ahead of the curve relative to the rest of the DMV.  Just an ominous warning that this is what lies in store for most of the MA forum in the next decade.... 

5 minutes ago, IronTy said:

By quite a few metrics, Southern Maryland is already in the very northern range of "humid subtropical" climate.  So we're probably ahead of the curve relative to the rest of the DMV.  Just an ominous warning that this is what lies in store for most of the MA forum in the next decade.... 

Thank you for the mid- to long-range analysis.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, frd said:

Do you think the window extends to Fed 1 st ?

I vaguely recall you mentioning suppression risks rise after the 20 th. 

I can’t predict whether the blocking runs straight through or weakens then reloads but history strongly suggests the -AO/NAO state hangs around in general for a while. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, IronTy said:

I don’t want to give too much credence to this theory but I’ll say this. I lived in southern Maryland for 6-7 years between 2003 and 2009. I lived in Tall Timber’s, Lexington Park, St. Mary’s City, Ridge and Park Hall. Southern Maryland is muuuch warmer than the DC area in the Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter.  The climo is terrible and humid and warm. Late fall is often warm and humid and storms that are a cold 4-6 inches in downtown dc are a touch of sleet to rain. We should prob try to be more aware of our climo and the fact that the climo in Martinsburg is drastically different than St. Mary’s City.

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I can’t predict whether the blocking runs straight through or weakens then reloads but history strongly suggests the -AO/NAO state hangs around in general for a while. 

That is typical and makes sense based on the history of prior events. Wondering once we pass Jan 5 th does modeling become a little clearer. Also, this recent post by HM is interesting.  

So what this means is an increasing western hemisphere like response mid month becoming IO late month. That should propagate back to Maritimes for February.

28 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The Pac Jet poleward shift/relaxation is the key. We need the vortex there, but we don't want a one-eyed pig sitting in the GOA with no ridging underneath/downstream. The means are advertising the perfect balance going forward, and a sweet pattern overall. Difficult to imagine a better h5 look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The Pac Jet poleward shift/relaxation is the key. We need the vortex there, but we don't want a one-eyed pig sitting in the GOA with no ridging underneath/downstream. The means are advertising the perfect balance going forward, and a sweet pattern overall. Difficult to imagine a better h5 look.

image.thumb.png.ef10c6bacfecc4b020b4ff16d2843215.png

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Does that map ever look different?

It does, for one thing I share the same mean as psu !   To me that is a positive. 

And as I mentioned,  the best potential may be after the 17 th , if so, we are not in range yet. Again, fun to look at, but only relevant when numbers go way up.  meaning higher probability of a more significant event.  

I am not a fan of snowfall maps, esp those generated from op runs, and taken verbatim. They are awful in most cases. However, the ens mean maps- when there are threats in sight- do provide an indication of confidence in the prospects for frozen for a given area, over multiple runs. 

• Like 4

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic