• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

10 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Constant thunder over here right now. Nothing like some good ole fashion Jan 2nd Tstorms.

WUNIDS_map?num=15&type=N0R&mapx=400&mapy

Garbage weather for New Years Day, but this alert from my new weather station was cool. When I put up the mast off the  back of our house, I told my wife that we wouldn’t have to worry about lightning striking the mast (2 m above the roofline) for 7-8 months, and by then I would have have grounded the mast. Of course when she heard the thunder she gave me a *look*.

0BF57069-CAB3-493A-81EB-89C4315A6A8C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WNash said:

Garbage weather for New Years Day, but this alert from my new weather station was cool. When I put up the mast off the  back of our house, I told my wife that we wouldn’t have to worry about lightning striking the mast (2 m above the roofline) for 7-8 months, and by then I would have have grounded the mast. Of course when she heard the thunder she gave me a *look*.

0BF57069-CAB3-493A-81EB-89C4315A6A8C.jpeg

7-8 months?!  I think lightning is in play on average 10 months a year around here and definitely possible in all 12 months but a little more rare for that to happen.  I’m guessing December and January have the least amount of strikes in WNY outside of the two main snowbelts that commonly experience it.  Interesting question though. My tempest also was sending alerts last night too, pretty cool feature.  Good point on getting it grounded so you don’t burn the place down! 

4 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

7-8 months?!  I think lightning is in play on average 10 months a year around here and definitely possible in all 12 months but a little more rare for that to happen.  I’m guessing December and January have the least amount of strikes in WNY outside of the two main snowbelts that commonly experience it.  Interesting question though. My tempest also was sending alerts last night too, pretty cool feature.  Good point on getting it grounded so you don’t burn the place down! 

My Tempest did too, right after the loud crack of thunder at 1:30am.

Heavy burst of snow on 12k NAM hits and lasts for about 3 hours right at kickoff tomorrow. Would love to see it in a fairly pointless game (for Buffalo at least) as it always adds to the entertainment value and reinforces the stigma that Buffalo is the snowiest place in the world **eye roll**

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, vortmax said:

Interesting article about the next month's forecast due to the current SSW event. 

https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/january-2021-winter-weekly-weather-forecast-united-states-europe-fa/

Hard winter in Europe often doesn't bode well for us in the eastern US. Cold air headed there instead of here?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Obviously we get thundersnow on rare occasions in the northern third of the metro, but the lake influence promotes stability and minimizes convection from late winter until late summer, diminishing the temperature gradients that allow charge to build up (I hope I am explaining lightning correctly). The radar image of a convective complex collapsing as it reaches Buffalo is familiar to all of us. We get occasionally spring and summer thunderstorms, but a fraction of the number of storms outside of the lake plain. I’m looking forward to seeing the lightning data from the Tempest — I’m thinking the number of thunderstorms will jump dramatically in August and September, dropping back to near zero by mid February. 

In any case, I felt pretty comfortable procrastinating the work needed to ground the mast until the first part of the summer, but after last night, maybe not. I’m going to get the ground wire connected this week and sink the rod when the soil lets me.

45 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Even worse, it's lake enhanced RAIN with wraparound on a NW flow. LOL

Went for a 4 mile run in the neighborhood. Actually looks like most yards have 3-5" on the ground still. Remarkable snow retention. The LES was pretty sloppy at beginning of event around here plus that 1:6-8 ratio 7" the day before.