• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

7 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

That’s interesting.  I am from Elmira and down there they get ZERO lake effect even from long Georgian bay streamers.  Binghamton can catch those while Elmira does not.  So Elmira gets basically clippers, swfs, and possibly fringes of coastals,  once in a blue moon they get the apps runner, and the weaker part of a Miller b since those are usually transferring just underneath the southern tier.  Their average is 40 inches or so.  That might be a baseline synoptic only average, plus or minus, for the western NY region.  It’s a snow hole compared to anyone that gets lake effect.

You and Wolfie settled it. Just about 50” or even less. Makes sense. Your point about Elmira being in a rough position for the Miller B’s is right on the money. It’s usually the counties up north or to your west that do better. 

CNY gets a little more than that I would think.. Mohawk valley for example is 60"-90" a year and while they do get some streamers down the MV they tend to be weak with t-1 type events east of utica.. First year in herkimer (2008) we had 108" of snow and most of that was synoptic.. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

CNY gets a little more than that I would think.. Mohawk valley for example is 60"-90" a year and while they do get some streamers down the MV they tend to be weak with t-1 type events east of utica.. First year in herkimer (2008) we had 108" of snow and most of that was synoptic.. 

Growing up in Little Falls I don’t remember lacking for snow. I am probably forgetting some lean years but what I do remember is being able to sled (flexible flyers back then) down the middle of the street. When the snow banks got too big the city would come and cut them back or remove them.  That happened at least once a year. Later in the season when the snow started to melt we used to build dams in the street out of snow to catch the runoff then bust them after they filled up. Most of the snow was from synoptic systems but we would get into the tail end of some lake streamers. 

• Thanks 1

86" , that's what pulaski has seen in the last 2 winters so far lol Syracuse had more than that just last year haha Fulton proper had triple digits last year..We depend on Lake effect as much as any area in the eastern great lakes...We can't dink and dunk on a NW flow throughout winter or upslope like the tug... Lol

11/19- 5.9"

12/19- 23.5"

01/20- 11.2"

02/20- 27.7"

03/20- 1"

11/20- 0.6" 

12/20- 16.0"

2 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Latest GFS misses us day 7/8 with the southern stream, we see a little lake effect with the northern stream.. Obviously will be different in 6 hours..

These models are not handling the SSW well at all. I saw somewhere today, maybe the NE forum, that now the forecast is for 3 sister vortex to form in mid January! This might be why the GFS looks like it’s on a bender with Charlie sheen 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Wow, what a boring winter.

Some posters on other subs, at least yesterday, were talking about some possibilities before "the pattern becomes unfavorable." Ummm, when has it BEEN favorable??? Yikes. Perhaps their "unfavorable" could be our "favorable" but I don't see it.

Snizzle this evening added another light dusting to my car...only 998 more to average.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

6z was the first wall to wall wintry pattern ive witnessed in some time...which means cutter after cutter on the 12z...

The only issue is it keeps being at day 10 lol Euro and soon to be new gfs have zip over the next 10 days..Para has been extremely stingy of late and for good reason lol

Surface high pressure will remain in control through much of the
period, giving way to a stretch of dry and quiet weather. Not overly
cold either with highs generally averaging near to a bit below
normal. Chances for precip potentially return for the start of the
new workweek, with long range guidance beginning to hint at a
Northern Stream trough passage across the Great Lakes.

Cohen has been going nuts about the SSW and PV disruption. I guess it’s real. My guess? It’s probably happening at the worst time. Looked like we might be on the verge of a natural reversion to winter. Now, who knows? 
Hey, it’s actually really hard to be wrong over 50% of the time. It’s the one thing Cohen and I have in common. That and a big dick. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Cohen has been going nuts about the SSW and PV disruption. I guess it’s real. My guess? It’s probably happening at the worst time. Looked like we might be on the verge of a natural reversion to winter. Now, who knows? 
Hey, it’s actually really hard to be wrong over 50% of the time. It’s the one thing Cohen and I have in common. That and a big dick. 

Models are looking good.  Lakes might fire up soon.

24 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

And how would you know he has a big 3=====D :lol: I kid I kid..Did get my morning laugh in though lol