• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate/Eastern New York

50 minutes ago, Geez150 said:

Man I sure hope not. Not after all the chatter of mid month finally bringing some cold weather...

Yeah I don't see what the rest of the forum is seeing. I must be blind, but no cold air source for nearly entire run of GEFS/EPS. I guess you could get a storm or 2 of very wet snow that is gone within a day or two but I'm not sure most of the forum would be happy with that.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I don't see what the rest of the forum is seeing. I must be blind, but no cold air source for nearly entire run of GEFS/EPS. I guess you could get a storm or 2 of very wet snow that is gone within a day or two but I'm not sure most of the forum would be happy with that.

No. Me neither. Never did

When Binghamton got that 41” of snow, I’m curious, how much was NWS predicting the day before? I think Binghamton was just within the northern most part of the watch. I’m guessing NWS had them in that 8-12” zone?

Can you imagine? I still think it’s the most remarkable synoptic snow storm I’ve seen in years. That storm didn’t make sense. Was it just the lift? It was a tiny storm!!!

9 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

When Binghamton got that 41” of snow, I’m curious, how much was NWS predicting the day before? I think Binghamton was just within the northern most part of the watch. I’m guessing NWS had them in that 8-12” zone?

Can you imagine? I still think it’s the most remarkable synoptic snow storm I’ve seen in years. That storm didn’t make sense. Was it just the lift? It was a tiny storm!!!

There were several forecasts pre storm but IIRC, 12-18" was NWS' final call.

3 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

There were several forecasts pre storm but IIRC, 12-18" was NWS' final call.

That’s a pretty bullish forecast. You can’t knock them for not going higher. I think a few of our members had Bing and Alb in the high teens and low 20”s. I think I said 11”. Lol
That location is in a pretty good spot for banding. Storms often follow the coast and Bing is at a good pivot point for when storms make the turn from Jersey to SE New England. They have to turn almost 90degrees to avoid crashing into NYC. 

So after the last lake effect event we are now up to 3 "Notable" events on the year (tug, buffalo, southern Oswego), I'm pretty sure the average is 8-10 annually..So while none have been"blockbusters" we are not far from where we should be..

When it comes to synoptic it's just been bad luck lol Every system has been dumping snow somewhere just not on us.. Pulaski largest synoptic snowfall is 1.3"..I mean NYC has almost as much snow as syracuse/Rochester lol The next 2 events once again favor places to our east..So while the warmer than average temps have influenced lake effect we have had plenty of chances to score snow but luck plays a big part in that..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

CFSV2 is absolutely horrific as the long range mets from both the NWS & NCEP don't even use it, lol! There is someone who uses it quite often and thats JB, RLMAO!

It was pretty accurate for December. It's not accurate until the very end of the month preceding. It looks pretty accurate for January with the long range outlooks.

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

It was pretty accurate for December. It's not accurate until the very end of the month preceding. It looks pretty accurate for January with the long range outlooks.

We'll see, perhaps some tweaks were done to it to improve its accuracy! Id like for one of these long range models to be correct just once, just like the weeklies that have been horrible as of late.

Just now, CNY-LES FREAK said:

We'll see, perhaps some tweaks were done to it to improve its accuracy! Id like for one of these long range models to be correct just once, just like the weeklies that have been horrible as of late.

You're right they are not the most accurate until the last day usually. By that time they are pretty decent for 30 day outlooks. At least the temp maps are, precip is pretty inaccurate.

• Like 2

Temperatures during the Monday through Thursday period should
generally be in the upper 30s to low 40s for the lower elevations,
and in the low to mid 30s for the higher elevations.

I expect these temps for the first 2 weeks of January. Give or take a few degrees. First 2 weeks will likely be +5-10 from averages.

KBufs average today

High 32.3

Low 20.0