• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

From @OHweather

The very strong positive East Asian Mountain Torque (the very strong high pressure over eastern Asia) which is causing our strong Pacific jet stream and flood of mild air, but is also contributing to the developing strat warming event, is hinted to begin weakening in the the 7-10 day:

ecmwf-ens_mslpa_global_fh0-240.thumb.gif.8422b1bd5f22130aeb5aff11a29cdde3.gif

This causes the trough to begin retrograding across the northern Pacific as the Pacific jet begins to pull back a bit. As a result, both the GEFS and EPS begin raising heights in the 10-15 day range on the West Coast of the US and Canada:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486c622606883_GEFS5005-15.thumb.png.981dcc572d68d73bc20b3a4621916299.png

1277310806_EPS5005-15.thumb.png.0277163fd37961ce2d5979cf5b992aa8.png

With an active sub-tropical jet and developing split flow over the western U.S., along with a persistent, west-based -NAO, this would begin increasing the risk for winter storms across the eastern and central U.S. around or just after January 10th. It would not immediately be a very cold pattern, but it could be a snowy one for some areas. 

The EPS continues to retrograde the trough into northeast Asia in the 10-15 day range while the Pacific jet continues pulling back. I'm not sure this lasts long, but could give a window for ridging into Alaska after mid-month. With a split flow over the western US and continued -NAO, a window of ridging over Alaska could both introduce colder air, but also lead to a quite active pattern for the Ohio Valley and southern Great Lakes into the Northeast beginning around or just after the middle of January. 

14-km_EPS_Global_Globe_200_hPa_Wind_(1).gif.de6b65be41887373a5f8da892c5f0858.gif

This is still a long way's out, but signs point to a better Pacific pattern soon. Given the -NAO in place slowing down any storms over the eastern 2/3rds of the CONUS, all we need is a somewhat cooperative Pacific to have some fun. 

• Thanks 1

This has been a very good year for weird places to get lots of snow.

NWS text from Fort Stockton, TX:

Tonight

Snow. Low around 26. North wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Thursday

Snow, mainly before noon. High near 36. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Fort Stockton, TX averages 1" of snow per year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Toronto could be close. Classic faux sleet signal south of the lake. 

Hey, I'll take it. Growing up in Lancaster, PA, I have fond memories of sleet storms. It's a PAIN to travel in and shovel..but a sleet-pack, encased in ice, is a glacier that thaws have trouble conquering. Back during the Valentine's Day Storm of 2007, we legit got a couple inches of snow, then SIX inches of a sleet/mix on top, then a period of freezing rain, and THEN a couple more inches of snow...and then froze rock solid the following night. That stuff survived WEEKS of temps in the 40s and 50s.

At this point, I don't care if it's sleet or snow...if it's white and has a better chance of surviving these thaws and the Syracuse sauna...I say bring it on! Although, snow is much more pleasant to watch. :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

From @OHweather

The very strong positive East Asian Mountain Torque (the very strong high pressure over eastern Asia) which is causing our strong Pacific jet stream and flood of mild air, but is also contributing to the developing strat warming event, is hinted to begin weakening in the the 7-10 day:

ecmwf-ens_mslpa_global_fh0-240.thumb.gif.8422b1bd5f22130aeb5aff11a29cdde3.gif

This causes the trough to begin retrograding across the northern Pacific as the Pacific jet begins to pull back a bit. As a result, both the GEFS and EPS begin raising heights in the 10-15 day range on the West Coast of the US and Canada:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486c622606883_GEFS5005-15.thumb.png.981dcc572d68d73bc20b3a4621916299.png

1277310806_EPS5005-15.thumb.png.0277163fd37961ce2d5979cf5b992aa8.png

With an active sub-tropical jet and developing split flow over the western U.S., along with a persistent, west-based -NAO, this would begin increasing the risk for winter storms across the eastern and central U.S. around or just after January 10th. It would not immediately be a very cold pattern, but it could be a snowy one for some areas. 

The EPS continues to retrograde the trough into northeast Asia in the 10-15 day range while the Pacific jet continues pulling back. I'm not sure this lasts long, but could give a window for ridging into Alaska after mid-month. With a split flow over the western US and continued -NAO, a window of ridging over Alaska could both introduce colder air, but also lead to a quite active pattern for the Ohio Valley and southern Great Lakes into the Northeast beginning around or just after the middle of January. 

14-km_EPS_Global_Globe_200_hPa_Wind_(1).gif.de6b65be41887373a5f8da892c5f0858.gif

This is still a long way's out, but signs point to a better Pacific pattern soon. Given the -NAO in place slowing down any storms over the eastern 2/3rds of the CONUS, all we need is a somewhat cooperative Pacific to have some fun. 

Jim Sullivan is the long range forecaster at Weather Works in NJ. Always has great insight on this stuff. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hey, I'll take it. Growing up in Lancaster, PA, I have fond memories of sleet storms. It's a PAIN to travel in and shovel..but a sleet-pack, encased in ice, is a glacier that thaws have trouble conquering. Back during the Valentine's Day Storm of 2007, we legit got a couple inches of snow, then SIX inches of a sleet/mix on top, then a period of freezing rain, and THEN a couple more inches of snow...and then froze rock solid the following night. That stuff survived WEEKS of temps in the 40s and 50s.

At this point, I don't care if it's sleet or snow...if it's white and has a better chance of surviving these thaws and the Syracuse sauna...I say bring it on! Although, snow is much more pleasant to watch. :) 

Had two 6" sleetstorms in Queens in 07. Pretty epic actually.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Rgem with a decent front and end of the event..Messy in the middle lol

23916323_e1414dd7-a351-4132-bd99-efea520

Wow...SO close to being a decent event for the Thruway and north!!!

3 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

They truly are epic!!! I can still vividly remember hearing the sleet POUNDING against the windows and house all night long during the Vday storm. Also, the piles are HUGE when you plow and shovel sleet. The way the sleet packs on top makes it look like you got feet of snow. Loved it!

18 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I'm right there with you.  I'll take sleet every single day over another stupid rain storm (I type this as the rain is pounding against my living room window).  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Wow...SO close to being a decent event for the Thruway and north!!!

They truly are epic!!! I can still vividly remember hearing the sleet POUNDING against the windows and house all night long during the Vday storm. Also, the piles are HUGE when you plow and shovel sleet. The way the sleet packs on top makes it look like you got feet of snow. Loved it!

Remember it being hard to plow, basically pushing billions of ball bearings. 

51 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Best icestorm I ever saw was living in NNJ as a wee lad back in early 1970s, 1972/73 ish. It was amazing.  So much ice it was spectacular to look at on a sunny day afterwards. Also remember sledding in a big sleet storm back then. Different event but they can be...interesting.

I like what the Canadian is showing for the Sunday/Monday system. It has the Low moving NNE along the New England coast. Keeps us in snow for quite awhile, and I could see Lake Ontario enhancing the precip. with North winds. IF anything like this were to come into fruition, it could be a good hit for the Syracuse to Rochester area...BIG IF