• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

55 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Even once the pattern does change, this is pretty terrible for our area. Too warm for lake effect, and too far south for the storm track for synoptic. This pattern is probably the worst out there. We want an East based -NAO to allow that pocket off cold air near Alaska to funnel through for our area and provide a slightly -EPO. I got nothing good to say about January.

image.thumb.png.f439161d8db49fb34046be94b7e4ae28.png

51 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

It’s a similar pattern that brought that epic mid Atlantic winter a few years back. I’ll take my chances on that. IDK. Synoptic storms could inch far enough into our region, no? Agree that it would kill any lake effect chances. 

What would that end up being for our region? 30 degrees, dry, and sunny?

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

3k at hr 60 east of the 12k..

nam3km_ref_frzn_us_60 (1).png

There’s a lobe that extends east on the 12k. Trending colder. With rain up into Michigan and no incredible HP in Canada, we can hope for a front end thump in your area up into the Dacks but little else. Doubt it affects anyone in the lake plain or west of 81 with anything more than a few minutes of sleet.  

image.png

• Thanks 1

Found this regarding the Alaskan trough:

The effects of a +EPO pattern features a persistent and deep trough over the western third of the

CONUS and a Ridge over the Southeast US. Temperatures over the central and eastern portions of the CONUS are likely to feature Above normal and possibly Much Above Normal as a +EPO pattern cuts off the supply of cold air from the Arctic region and northern Canada into south central and eastern Canada... which in turns means no cold air for the CONUS east of the Rockies . The deep persistent trough over the West Coast implies significant or major weather systems crashing into the West Coast of North America. This usually brings above or much above precipitation for a prolonged period of time along with below and much below normal temperatures from the West coast to the Rockies

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This is first time I've seen this indices and still far warmer than average temps. Seems the EPO trumps them all. 

ao.sprd2.thumb.gif.cf73b005a488db1ac137df0956b7c678.gifpna.sprd2.gifnao.sprd2.gif

You know when we were younger and we first began the WIVB weather blog all we knew were those 3 indicies and what strength El Niño or La Niña was that season...I can’t believe that with all those things INCLUDING the MJO in a perfect position that one ****ing indicie trumps then all?!?!?! Honestly I believe if that’s the case then forecasting sensible weather from here on out will be nearly impossible, and don’t let the CPC or NOAA fool you that they were in to something because if these indicies showed up in November as a forecast I promise you their outlooks would be different. I’m an angry weather weenie and I approve this message 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Torch City on the GFS, some 50 degree temps with that setup. 

850th.conus.png

I think the GFS is really struggling right now. It is on one end, according to what Cohen just showed, predicting the PV split to occur around the 9th or so and one lobe actually centers around the st. Lawrence valley. This is a very strange location and I believe is complicating the GFS own outputs. It doesn’t know how to handle the PV in that location. It’s all I’ve got. 

2 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

You know when we were younger and we first began the WIVB weather blog all we knew were those 3 indicies and what strength El Niño or La Niña was that season...I can’t believe that with all those things INCLUDING the MJO that one ****ing indicie trunks then all?!?!?! Honestly I believe if that’s the case then forecasting sensible weather from here on out will be nearly impossible, and don’t let the CPC or NOAA fool you that they were in to something because if these indicies showed up in November as a forecast I promise you their outlooks would be different. I’m an angry weather weenie and I approve this message 

Well a lot of it has to do with the west based NAO block instead of central or east based. The blocking is there, but just not in the right spot. That could change 2nd half of January. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Thinksnow18 said:

I think the GFS is really struggling right now. It is on one end, according to what Cohen just showed, predicting the PV split to occur around the 9th or so and one lobe actually centers around the st. Lawrence valley. This is a very strange location and I believe is complicating the GFS own outputs. It doesn’t know how to handle the PV in that location. It’s all I’ve got. 

Cohen sucks, he talks about PV splits every winter leading to epic cold in the east. He is seen as a joke on the NE forum. 

• Like 1