• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Cohen sucks, he talks about PV splits every winter leading to epic cold in the east. He is seen as a joke on the NE forum. 

He sucks when it comes to his theory on Siberian snow advance indicator (his own theory of course) but all he’s doing, same as Webb yesterday and many other Mets right now, is reading the outputs from the GFS. In no way can be be misinterpreting what it’s saying as it’s there for all to see.

29 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

You know when we were younger and we first began the WIVB weather blog all we knew were those 3 indicies and what strength El Niño or La Niña was that season...I can’t believe that with all those things INCLUDING the MJO in a perfect position that one ****ing indicie trumps then all?!?!?! Honestly I believe if that’s the case then forecasting sensible weather from here on out will be nearly impossible, and don’t let the CPC or NOAA fool you that they were in to something because if these indicies showed up in November as a forecast I promise you their outlooks would be different. I’m an angry weather weenie and I approve this message 

Great point! 

• Like 1

Coldest frame on 6z GFS. Looks like the long range graphic  Buf Weather posted yesterday (I think). The rest (and this frame, if I’m being honest) is a train wreck. I see no signs of hope. It would be more of what we are looking at this weekend- slop. I wish I could just throw away this winter and look forward to pool weather or wind events- it’s just not in my DNA. Snow is my only drug when it comes to weather. image.thumb.png.3aab9339e2dc741db4a417ebabde39ff.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Coldest frame on 6z GFS. Looks like the long range graphic  Buf Weather posted yesterday (I think). The rest (and this frame, if I’m being honest) is a train wreck. I see no signs of hope. It would be more of what we are looking at this weekend- slop. I wish I could just throw away this winter and look forward to pool weather or wind events- it’s just not in my DNA. Snow is my only drug when it comes to weather. image.thumb.png.3aab9339e2dc741db4a417ebabde39ff.png

At least it's happening in the climatologically coldest time of the year which will still allow some frozen stuff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

To be fair Jan 15th is pretty much prime climo. So that map would likely yield snow as the precip type. However, 2 weeks of no chance of Lake effect sucks in January. 

I also don’t understand, obviously, the PNA. If it’s positive, as it has been the entire winter so far and forecast to be into middle of winter, then why is there not a ridge out west? I know, EPO, however if I recall when the pacific was crap last year I believe the PNA was mainly positive but the AO was ridiculously positive as well and it was said if the AO would just help out we could work with that. 

10 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I also don’t understand, obviously, the PNA. If it’s positive, as it has been the entire winter so far and forecast to be into middle of winter, then why is there not a ridge out west? I know, EPO, however if I recall when the pacific was crap last year I believe the PNA was mainly positive but the AO was ridiculously positive as well and it was said if the AO would just help out we could work with that. 

It's a very marginal +PNA, and combined with a +++EPO it means a raging PAC jet flowing into lower 48. -EPO solves everything. 

image.jpeg.8e8a7d733b33a01c0d11bd8a7db19fc4.jpegimage.jpeg.602a4a3e4e5f839427d7aca68300d185.jpeg

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, vortmax said:

At least it's happening in the climatologically coldest time of the year which will still allow some frozen stuff.

I appreciate your optimism during such a CRAP time.

34 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

It's ALWAYS something...we need to just face it...it's tough to get solid winter here...especially during these days of climate change or whatever it is you want to call it. This indice's not right or that indice's not right...blah blah. The science of meteorology is changing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I appreciate your optimism during such a CRAP time.

It's ALWAYS something...we need to just face it...it's tough to get solid winter here...especially during these days of climate change or whatever it is you want to call it. This indice's not right or that indice's not right...blah blah. The science of meteorology is changing.

What could overcome, or at least mitigate, this is if you moved back up towards the Tug and let us be down here! Of course, Wolfie might not like that but sacrifices have to be made.  Wolfie and I, now "long suffering" Giants fans,  are feeling unduly infringed upon.  Maybe it's WNY's turn in the barrel with yout?  I'm sure Lake Erie won't then freeze over perpetually every single December for the season...   ;)

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

What could overcome, or at least mitigate, this is if you moved back up towards the Tug and let us be down here! Of course, Wolfie might not like that but sacrifices have to be made.  Wolfie and I, now "long suffering" Giants fans,  are feeling unduly infringed upon.  Maybe it's WNY's turn in the barrel with yout?  I'm sure Lake Erie won't then freeze over perpetually every single December for the season...   ;)

LOL...Really, I continue to tell @weatherbo that I am moving up to the UP to live in his basement...but something tells me my wife, nor him (for several reasons), would appreciate that...

• Haha 2

This is going to be a tough call for the Syracuse region. We are going to be right on the line (shocker) between warm air trying to come up through the Finger Lakes and the colder air pushing eastward from the Dacks. Models seem to be trending on the cold"er" air putting in a better fight. I saw this a couple times last winter in this region..especially November. In fact, the pattern is similar to last November, where we had this battle zone (with freezing rain/sleet/snow in this region) before winter settled in for a few weeks.

Unfortunately, I think it's going to be a bit tougher for the Rochester/Genesee Valley region, as the cold air won't make it that far west. :( 

Just now, TugHillMatt said:

This is going to be a tough call for the Syracuse region. We are going to be right on the line (shocker) between warm air trying to come up through the Finger Lakes and the colder air pushing eastward from the Dacks. Models seem to be trending on the cold"er" air putting in a better fight. I saw this a couple times last winter in this region..especially November. In fact, the pattern is similar to last November, where we had this battle zone (with freezing rain/sleet/snow in this region) before winter settled in for a few weeks.

Unfortunately, I think it's going to be a bit tougher for the Rochester/Genesee Valley region, as the cold air won't make it that far west. :( 

Roc always gets screwed in these situations if the wind has even the slightest southerly component. 

• Sad 1

With the colder air and a bit more moisture
present farther north, the lake response will be better off of Lake
Ontario. Further, hi-res guidance and the regional Canadian GEM
indicate a decent plume of snow developing E and ESE of Lake Ontario
on Thursday. This could result in a few inches of snow here, and an
extension of the winter weather advisory may be necessary for this
eventuality, however some better alignment of guidance would
certainly aide in confidence of this development, so an extension
will be put off for now.