• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
AMZ8990

8 minutes ago, Blue Ridge said:

The 75 corridor, especially north, has been pretty consistently in the game with each model run. If a stronger, more amplified solution like the NAM presents comes to fruition, you're in a very good spot. 

Edit to add: I'll echo the caveat @Carvers Gap mentioned - microclimate oddities do apply...

This might be a great thing to consider for a new pinned thread at some point down the line (similar to the useful weather links).  If we could dedicate a thread to various microclimates and the different types of systems that are affected by those areas............... it might become a great resource for new members coming on board in those areas and existing members also.  Off topic, but just thought I'd throw this out there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12z RGEM has a similar trend NW.  In this scenario, NE TN gets a good thump, but if you look at the snow totals for this storm, you can seen the axis really sharpen and back west a bit.  So looks like the short range "cone" is the spine of the Apps to just around Nashville.  Prior, this had stopped at the Plateau.  NE TN is on the easter envelope of this now - but a good run nonetheless but trends do matter at this stage - not a huge fan of trends right now for MBY.  That said, the storm is still there...just backing west a bit.  So, the likelihood of somebody getting snow on Christmas Eve is still there with chances for somebody in our forum area(to see a decent thump of snow) increasing at this point.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

If you live in NE TN(really all of E TN), not a trend you want to see from the NAM.  Now, it is the NAM past 48 hours and it has a problem with over-amping systems.  The slp is stronger with the NAM by several millibars.  That in turn sharpens the storm and changes the angle into the region.  Snow axis moved about 200 mi west in KY from eastern KY to middle KY.

Exactly! Big trend West. 

We wanted that L.P.  to develop and trend stronger and further south but, not overly so as far a strength. 

One bit of concern for portions of the area is the actual possibility of Blizzard criteria being reached ! Amazing after things looking rather benign. Powerful sharp arctic blasts have been known to spawn one .

Hey guys. Another long time lurker here. I live in SW VA, Buchanan County to be exact, on the KY state line. Maybe you can help with a couple of questions. First, am I in the right forums lol. Seems this one is closer to me. Second, will Grundy, VA have any luck with this coming system. By luck I mean snow accumulation lol. Thanks in advance!!

• Like 3

Surface accumulations are significantly down on this run.  The westward trend continued.  I think the spine of the Apps shredded the storm.  I will say...one more jog westward, and this becomes a middle TN storm (and maybe major) on the GFS. The synoptics still look good, but a low directly over the apps just messes with dynamics to no end.    My expectations are low for MBY on this one.  

40 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

We wanted that L.P.  to develop and trend stronger and further south but, not overly so as far a strength. 

One bit of concern for portions of the area is the actual possibility of Blizzard criteria being reached ! Amazing after things looking rather benign. Powerful sharp arctic blasts have been known to spawn one .

The trend on the GFS has taken the snow axis from central PA to eastern OH(during the past four runs: edit).  Big changes and all westward at this point.  I suspect the westward job stops during the next 1-2 runs if this follows the pattern of every other storm this winter.  48-96 hours have had big jogs westward and then revert back eastward at some point.  Storm still looks health, but the angle of the storm is up for grabs right now.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BuCoVaWx said:

Hey guys. Another long time lurker here. I live in SW VA, Buchanan County to be exact, on the KY state line. Maybe you can help with a couple of questions. First, am I in the right forums lol. Seems this one is closer to me. Second, will Grundy, VA have any luck with this coming system. By luck I mean snow accumulation lol. Thanks in advance!!

I think you are in the right place. @BlunderStorm is up your way. I’m stoked to have another poster from that area! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BuCoVaWx said:

@BuCoVaWx Welcome! You're definitely in the right forum! ;) I think like most of us in the NETN/SWVA area, the model trend of the storm backing to the NW is concerning. That said I think we're still in the game for accumulation. The next few model runs will be very telling. If the NW trend continues, then I'll be concerned for my back yard for sure. 

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the help! I've lurked around for years, just figured it was time to join in on the conversation! Since I've been old enough to remember I've had an "unhealthy" obsession for weather lol. I'm learning a lot just from what I've read on here over the years. As far as these storms go, it really does seem the models want to do the NW jog when it comes within a couple days of game time. Hopefully we can all get a little bit of Christmas magic this year.

• Like 5

12z GEFS at 54 Ioses the lee side low cluster.  Looks like the slp may run west of the Apps or the energy to our north is being modeled stronger.  My guess is the spine of the Apps is washing out the solution.  Again, one more trend and this is a middle TN storm.  Just depends on when the trend stops, but it has been pronounced for about four runs.  Storm has sharpened which means it is less positive tilt and more neutral by the time it hits middle/east TN.  12z is on the left and 6z on the right...

1308766216_ScreenShot2020-12-22at11_20_50AM.png.c5c5c7a44ed21d570e0d946fd4a7d4a4.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuCoVaWx said:

Thank you guys for the help! I've lurked around for years, just figured it was time to join in on the conversation! Since I've been old to enough to remember I've had an "unhealthy" obsession for weather lol. I'm learning a lot just from what I've read on here over the years. As far as these storms go, it really does seem the models want to do the NW jog when it comes within a couple days of game time. Hopefully we can all get a little bit of Christmas magic this year.

Welcome to the forum!!!

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic