• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
AMZ8990

BIGLY DISCLAIMER....

I am about to post a supreme :weenie: gif. It is the SREF's MAX 3 hour snowfall. That means this map shows what the highest members of the already notoriously overdone SREF think could possibly be the max amount of snow to fall in a given 3 hour period. It should not be taken as having a hope in hell of verifying. So why post it? I

I noticed something odd about the 3z run when I was looking through its winter panels. If I understand the SREF, it is sort of an ensemble for the NAM suite. So, with that in mind:

giphy.gif

Notice the normal front sweeps through at first, with a chance of rain changing to snow. Ok, yeah, you say, we get that. What I found interesting in this graphic was that apparently some of the SREF members have the secondary low popping waaayyyyy south and snowing in MS and AL. Not really looking at its overblown snow amounts, that it has precip so far south, at least to me, indicates that there is some room for such a scenario. Is it likely, no, absolutely not. But, to paraphrase an AFD I read a few weeks ago, there is a non zero chance, lol. The past two runs of the SREF have seen something that makes them think that is a possibility. 

I looked at the plumes and it looks like it is only the ARP that is seeing this possibility. There's still some spread in how the NAM, WRF-NMM, WRF-ARW, and WRF-ARW2 how the bottom of the trough as it swings through TX. So could be a big nothing burger, or something to watch. 

• Like 2

If you live in NE TN(really all of E TN), not a trend you want to see from the NAM.  Now, it is the NAM past 48 hours and it has a problem with over-amping systems.  The slp is stronger with the NAM by several millibars.  That in turn sharpens the storm and changes the angle into the region.  Snow axis moved about 200 mi west in KY from eastern KY to middle KY.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

The 3km NAM looks a little more reasonable with snow amounts, but actually tries it's darndest to pop a low in SE Alabama and run up towards Atlanta and Asheville and then Mountain City. 

giphy.gif

Whoever ends up in that sweet spot closest to Rain/snow line is gonna cash in BIG if that verifies 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bluegrassweather71 said:

New guy here, long time lurker.  I'm really curious, given the decent model support from the NAM/GFS, why Morristown is "low ending" snowfall totals for the Plateau.  1.5" inch for north central TN seems really lowballing here. Maybe someone can help a new guy?

Probably a wise move right now.  If the 12k NAM(which is iffy at best at this range) is correct, they may be too high over NE TN.  So, going conservative is wise.  They can always up totals.  I think that is just a heads-up for people traveling.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluegrassweather71 said:

New guy here, long time lurker.  I'm really curious, given the decent model support from the NAM/GFS, why Morristown is "low ending" snowfall totals for the Plateau.  1.5" inch for north central TN seems really lowballing here. Maybe someone can help a new guy?

And welcome aboard!!!!  

• Like 1

3K NAM looks a little more robust for E TN valley locations...not a fan of that trend for MBY but will benefit folks to my west.   Let's see where modeling goes...trend overnight have been a slightly westward jog of the slp.  Storm may well be a powerhouse.  Problem for those of us in E TN, the stronger this gets...the more it could wind-up and shift west.  Again, the NAM has issues with being overly amped past 48, so lets see what the models on the east side of the envelope do...RGEM and GFS operational.  The Euro at 6z was popping a low over NE TN.

13 minutes ago, bluegrassweather71 said:

I would be liking my chances right now if on the easter side of the Plateau.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

1-2.  We deal with a significant heat island here and are right on the river, so our elevation is a bit lower than Bristol or JC.

Not to mention, the heat island seems to follow the river through the valley a ways. You double dip on unfortunate circumstances. Yet, seems like we have a few storms a decade in which SWVA and Sullivan are crushed while anything south of the Sullco/Washco border are blanked. 

• Like 5

Should  I be liking my chances here in the London, KY area?  I sure hope so, ten years is a long time to go without a white Christmas. lol

@John1122 and some other posters in that region are gurus for your micro-climate.  I will let them answer your question in detail on that.  They are way more knowledgeable about the northern Plateau than I am.  But yeah,  generally, your chances look decent IMHO.

Should  I be liking my chances here in the London, KY area?  I sure hope so, ten years is a long time to go without a white Christmas. lol

The 75 corridor, especially north, has been pretty consistently in the game with each model run. If a stronger, more amplified solution like the NAM presents comes to fruition, you're in a very good spot. 

Edit to add: I'll echo the caveat @Carvers Gap mentioned - microclimate oddities do apply...

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic