Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020-2021 Banter

Rtd208

6 hours ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, their sightings having been going up in recent years.

https://www.ecowatch.com/snowy-owls-climate-change-2623954976.html

But sightings further south have become more common in North America in recent winters. As the Ottawa Citizen reported this week, sightings of the charismatic owl have soared in Eastern Ontario for the last six years.

This "irruption"—an influx of a species to areas they aren't usually found—could be a sign that there's not enough food for the snowies around their usual home.

Because of climate change, the Arctic is warming at twice the rateof the rest of the planet, causing dramatic shifts to ecosystems. This warmth has caused the region to become more green.

As a result, rodents have more vegetation to graze on, thus increasing the prey base for snowy owls. This abundance in prey, a bird expert suggested to Ottawa Citizen, has resulted in successful breeding seasons for the snowy owls. But with more owls hunting in the same area, the less successful hunters end up traveling south in search of food.

"It could be climate change: The Arctic warming up, more vegetation available, so it's producing more rodents," birder Bruce Di Labio told the Ottawa Citizen. "In turn, the snowy owls are being successful (in breeding) every year."

The Audobon Society explains that "it's all about food availability: when the birds' rodent prey base either crashes or is in super-abundance, snowy owls push south in winter."

GM just announced going all electric within the next 15 years, so this is good news.  It remains to be seen how all these new resolutions will take to actually help us undo the last 100 years.

• Weenie 1

6 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

GM just announced going all electric within the next 15 years, so this is good news.  It remains to be seen how all these new resolutions will take to actually help us undo the last 100 years.

I hope the electric cars are better than the crap they are selling now...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

We will be fine once the battery range goes up and the charging time goes down. That is probably coming over the next 10 years. It may take 10 years or so to begin to build out the charging infrastructure. I actually test drove an EV. The instant acceleration make you feel like you are driving a rocket ship.The one thing that I really had to get used to was how quiet the car was. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

We will be fine once the battery range goes up and the charging time goes down. That is probably coming over the next 10 years. It may take 10 years or so to begin to build out the charging infrastructure. I actually test drove an EV. The instant acceleration make you feel like you are driving a rocket ship.The one thing that I really had to get used to was how quiet the car was. 

I was talking about reliability of their cars...many companies are in the electric car race...the battery range gets better every year...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uncle W said:

I was talking about reliability of their cars...many companies are in the electric car race...the battery range gets better every year...

Yeah, the EV technology and supporting charging infrastructure still have a ways to go before wide adoption by the masses. Then the consumers will get more and better buying options. Prices for entry level vehicles will need to fall to be more affordable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, the EV technology and supporting charging infrastructure still have a ways to go before wide adoption by the masses. Then the consumers will get more and better buying options. Prices for entry level vehicles will need to fall to be more affordable. 

this guy knows his stuff...he talks about electric motorcycles later in the video...

19 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

psssh what does anyone from Pennsylvania know about weather?  cloudy with a chance of 100% chance of Eagles suck.  you're gonna see that in your point and click every Sunday and it's probably in the Farmer's Almanac too.

Punxsutawney Phil is the most is the most reliable forecaster in Pa.

Just now, Blizzardo said:

Just an idea man but 3/4 of the forum is always bitchin because 100 miles away sees a jackpot on a model run. We might as well include the DC and Boston folks into one big forum 

Or people can post better. Other forums have areas literally thousands of times larger.  

• Like 4

Just now, BxEngine said:

Or people can post better. Other forums have areas literally thousands of times larger.  

Yes indeed but whats the population/ poster ratio to square miles. We probably still have 3 times as many people posting if not more.. And I wont mention that the weather is quite different 100 miles apart, even 50 miles apart in our particular area. Other areas flat out dont see dry slots,  mix lines, sharp cutoffs and go through the heartache we do. Its a bit different here. JMO. Wont say anything more about it. 

1 minute ago, Blizzardo said:

Yes indeed but whats the population/ poster ratio to square miles. We probably still have 3 times as many people posting if not more.. And I wont mention that the weather is quite different 100 miles apart, even 50 miles apart in our particular area. Other areas flat out dont see dry slots,  mix lines, sharp cutoffs and go through the heartache we do. Its a bit different here. JMO. Wont say anything more about it. 

The NE forum has 5000’ mountains and cape cod. They get the same sharp cutoffs, the same dryslots, the same whiny “im gonna mix while the interior gets hammered”....population has nothing to do with it, and thats the problem. There are people here who legitimately believe that rjay has more of a “right” to posting here than i do, simply because long island is more populated, ignoring the fact that im 3x as close to central park as he is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

The NE forum has 5000’ mountains and cape cod. They get the same sharp cutoffs, the same dryslots, the same whiny “im gonna mix while the interior gets hammered”....population has nothing to do with it, and thats the problem. There are people here who legitimately believe that rjay has more of a “right” to posting here than i do, simply because long island is more populated, ignoring the fact that im 3x as close to central park as he is. 

If it makes you feel any better the NAM changes me over to rain. 

• Haha 1

i want a subforum for the part of my complex's parking lot that gets all the snowmelt runoff that freezes overnight and has been trying to kill me every winter morning for 5 years

and then i can bitch about the parking lot being a sheet of black ice in the observation/nowcast thread and someone can respond If yOU dOn'T LiKE iCe MOve tO FLoRiDa, yeah thanks for that insight captain dipshit

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, BxEngine said:

they behave more like a family, an entirely different dynamic they have there.

18 hours ago, uncle W said:

2 things that concern me.....1 is the performance of the batteries in very cold weather (I see Norway has a lot of them though so maybe this isn't so serious of a problem)?

and 2 is establishing the kind of charging infrastructure we need to allow people to drive long distances with them.

I see hybrids as a good middle ground for now and work towards full electric within 20 years.