Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020-2021 Banter

Rtd208

17 hours ago, uncle W said:

la nina February's with at least a 4" snowstorm in Central Park...

2/1/1957...........6.3"...

2/6-7/1972........4.7"

2/19/1972.........5.7"

2/23/1972.........5.2"...

2/7/1967.........12.5"...

2/8/1974...........6.0"...

2/12/1975.........7.8"...

2/5-6/1976........4.0"...

2/3/1985...........4.3"...

2/5-6/1985........5.7"...

2/7/1986...........4.5"...

2/11/1986.........4.5"

2/2-3/1996........7.2"...

2/16-17/1996..10.7"...

2/23-24/2001....5.8"...

2/11-12/2006..26.9"...

2/22/2008.........6.0"...

2/3/2009...........4.3"...

2/9/2017...........9.4"...

2/17/2018.........4.4"...

wow 1996 had two 7+

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, rclab said:

There may be hope for us yet. As always ....

It was a rare treat for the birders in Central Park. Most of the the snowy owls spend the winter along the South Shore barrier islands. I would see them all the time near the Jones Beach West End and sometimes in Lido Beach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It was a rare treat for the birders in Central Park. Most of the the snowy owls spend the winter along the South Shore barrier islands. I would see them all the time near the Jones Beach West End and sometimes in Lido Beach.

oh when they said that this is the first one seen since 1890 I assumed they meant it's extremely rare for them to ever be in our region.  If they are regularly seen on Long Island why has it been that long since one has been spotted at the park?  Is it because they avoid humans?

• Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

oh when they said that this is the first one seen since 1890 I assumed they meant it's extremely rare for them to ever be in our region.  If they are regularly seen on Long Island why has it been that long since one has been spotted at the park?  Is it because they avoid humans?

They are extremely rare in Central Park. But they spend the cold season along the South Shore. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

They are extremely rare in Central Park. But they spend the cold season along the South Shore. 

I feel like I'm missing out on these.  The only times I've seen Snowy Owls is when I'm driving to the Poconos late at night and I've seen them there a couple of times (one time sitting right in the middle of the road)!  I've heard some owls actually hunt by crawling along the ground rather than by flying?  Usually near a full moon.

I've been in the Gateway Recreational Area a few times, do you think they could be there or any of the marshland that surrounds JFK airport?  That used to be a famous birding area during its old Idlewild days.

• Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I feel like I'm missing out on these.  The only times I've seen Snowy Owls is when I'm driving to the Poconos late at night and I've seen them there a couple of times (one time sitting right in the middle of the road)!  I've heard some owls actually hunt by crawling along the ground rather than by flying?  Usually near a full moon.

I've been in the Gateway Recreational Area a few times, do you think they could be there or any of the marshland that surrounds JFK airport?  That used to be a famous birding area during its old Idlewild days.

The most reliable place that I would see them was the Jones Beach West End. They spend the cold season in the dunes around Jones Inlet. Sometimes you get lucky and see them sitting on one of the signs leading into the parking lot. Most of the time you need to scan the dunes and beach with a scope or binoculars to see them. People have been spotting one or two snowy owls down there almost every day this winter. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The most reliable place that I would see them was the Jones Beach West End. They spend the cold season in the dunes around Jones Inlet. Sometimes you get lucky and see them sitting on one of the signs leading into the parking lot. Most of the time you need to scan the dunes and beach with a scope or binoculars to see them. People have been spotting one or two snowy owls down there almost every day this winter. 

wow sounds like they're more common this year?  Is this their typical winter ground and then they end up back in Canada during the summer?

• Weenie 1

41 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

wow sounds like they're more common this year?  Is this their typical winter ground and then they end up back in Canada during the summer?

Yeah, their sightings having been going up in recent years.

https://www.ecowatch.com/snowy-owls-climate-change-2623954976.html

But sightings further south have become more common in North America in recent winters. As the Ottawa Citizen reported this week, sightings of the charismatic owl have soared in Eastern Ontario for the last six years.

This "irruption"—an influx of a species to areas they aren't usually found—could be a sign that there's not enough food for the snowies around their usual home.

Because of climate change, the Arctic is warming at twice the rateof the rest of the planet, causing dramatic shifts to ecosystems. This warmth has caused the region to become more green.

As a result, rodents have more vegetation to graze on, thus increasing the prey base for snowy owls. This abundance in prey, a bird expert suggested to Ottawa Citizen, has resulted in successful breeding seasons for the snowy owls. But with more owls hunting in the same area, the less successful hunters end up traveling south in search of food.

"It could be climate change: The Arctic warming up, more vegetation available, so it's producing more rodents," birder Bruce Di Labio told the Ottawa Citizen. "In turn, the snowy owls are being successful (in breeding) every year."

The Audobon Society explains that "it's all about food availability: when the birds' rodent prey base either crashes or is in super-abundance, snowy owls push south in winter."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Rjay said:

@snowman19

@LibertyBell is not Mersky.  

Similar trolls lol regardless, I don’t have anything personal against anyone on here. I love weather. Do I lean warm...Yes, absolutely, but why shouldn’t I in this new climate? It’s whatever lol I enjoy talking about weather as you know, just a shame that you get trolled and attacked on here by the usual suspects when your narrative isn’t consistently “cold and snowy for the east coast” When I get trolled I respond lol

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

weather forum people are all weird

especially moderators

Interesting observation, Will. I imagine if we were all talented enough to go to Penn State, as a group, for Atmospheric Science, we’d end up being the second coming of Animal House. As always ...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rclab said:

Interesting observation, Will. I imagine if we were all talented enough to go to Penn State, as a group, for Atmospheric Science, we’d end up being the second coming of Animal House. As always ...

psssh what does anyone from Pennsylvania know about weather?  cloudy with a chance of 100% chance of Eagles suck.  you're gonna see that in your point and click every Sunday and it's probably in the Farmer's Almanac too.

• Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

psssh what does anyone from Pennsylvania know about weather?  cloudy with a chance of 100% chance of Eagles suck.  you're gonna see that in your point and click every Sunday and it's probably in the Farmer's Almanac too.

How much for Philly? As always ....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Similar trolls lol regardless, I don’t have anything personal against anyone on here. I love weather. Do I lean warm...Yes, absolutely, but why shouldn’t I in this new climate? It’s whatever lol I enjoy talking about weather as you know, just a shame that you get trolled and attacked on here by the usual suspects when your narrative isn’t consistently “cold and snowy for the east coast” When I get trolled I respond lol

everyone except flat earthers knows about the "new" climate.  and lol at trolled/attacked, you're doing something wrong if the vast majority of the board cant stand you.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1